Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

I was disappointed with the RV pump.With the system purged of air andfully charged; I would open the kitchen cold water faucet 1/2 wayand the pump would start to oscillate on and off continuously.

My first attempt at an accumulator was a 2" length of PVC the width of the RV. The result was hardly noticeable.

So, I tried using a Hot Water Heater Expansion Tank fromMenard's Lumber @ $38.00.

http://www.menards.com/storeLocator.do

The tankneeded to be installed upright. I had an uglyplastic pail that it just fit into. I charged the tank to 30 psi and dropped it into the pail. I fastened the pail to the Black Water pipe. It can not drift around the basement.

The tank has a 3/4"male NPT fittingon the top of the tank. I purchased a Washing Machine Connection Hose with female hose fittings on each end and a Tubing Tee (1/2 OD tube x 1/2" OD tube x 3/4" female NPT). The fitting and hose worked great; no leaks and I tapedthe hoseto the black water pipe to keep it stable.

Now with the kitchen faucet turned 1/2 way on, the water runs for 45 seconds. Turning off the water at this point it will take the pump 15 seconds to recharge the plumbing system.

I may need to be careful using bleach in the water. The rubber hose may not stand up to it.

Those 2:00 AM trips to the bathroom won't be waking the family.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I have a similar 2 gallon tank I am preparing to mount in my Seville. But after reviewing your installation, I have questions. How do you winterize your tank? It would seem one would want to mount with pipe fitting to bottom to permit draining of water, and mounting high enough to permit proper flow downhill to drain all lines completely. Would you put a valve to shut off while winterizing or just fill with 2 gallons of system anti-freeze?

2009 CrossRoads Seville VF35RL

2000 Ford F-350 Cr
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:07 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Oldman,

You have me thinking.

The tank is supposed to be mounted with the fitting upward althoughI can not see why it would need to be.

There is a rubber bladder inside of this tank that is attached to the center. I have it charged to 30 psion the air side of the bladder. This is done from the bottom via a valve stem.

I figure that when I drain the RV pipes the bladder should force all of the water out of the tank and then when charging it with antifreeze the solution should be filling the tank.

When it comes time to winterize then itmight be a good idea to loosen the hose fitting on top of the tank to make sure antifreeze made it up the hose.

from one oldman to another.

Happy Trails

Old 05-06-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

The H/W tank can be mounted at any angle. I installed mine so that I can easily remove it to winterize and drain. I also installed a valve so the Anti-freeze will not enter it. The air pressure inside should be equal to the pressure of the water supply pressure so I pumped mine to about 60lbs. Works good.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:25 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Stan,

I like your idea of mounting the tank with the fitting downward. What are you using the hold it in that position? Where did you place the shut off valve?

The instructions with this Water Worker tank calls for it to be mounted fitting upward. I can not see why it would make a difference. Do you?

Thanx

Kamper Dave
Old 05-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I got mine at H.D. It is a standard expansion tank for a hot water system and it says in the instructions it can be mounted in any angle. I used a flexible water supply hose from the connection to the valve and then to the tank. The tank is held in place with one (or was it two?)metalstraps similar to Earthquake straps. I placed a galvanized 90 dg fitting on the bottom so the tank rests on the fitting and is strapped around the sides.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Hello zhuo1005,
I installed a TEE in the plumbing line to feed this tank and then installed a VALVE right next to the TEE. The hose running to the tank screws on to this valve.
So, I just relieve the pressure from the water lines, turn off the valve, loosen my garden hose type connection to the valve and take my tank with connection hose into our home's basement for the winter.
The instructions for this tank said that it had to be mounted with the inlet UP. That seems odd to me in that this is just a bladder in a tank. What could it matter? If it works with the inlet down then a small bleeder valve at the low point should work to empty it out or force anti-freeze to that point.
Once you get this working I think you will really enjoy how it works. Less pump cycling and better water pressure.
With highest regards.. Kamper Dave