Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a question concerning the furnace in my new Cruiser. It barely puts out any heat. the register in bathroom puts out the most heat, 3-4" away in bedroom is none. in kitchen and living room registers is hardly any heat. is this normal ? The thermostat is very complicated. we're getting it figured out but not happy at all with the heat coming out of the registers. I had a 99 Jayco that I traded in is what I'm used to.
gah171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

A lot of people of people on here will say to check the air ducts. You can remove the grill and use a small mirror for blockage. Also adding some insulation to basement heat runs (this saves heat but won't help on volume).

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I took the panel off in cargo area. loosened up the big hose clamp that holds flexible heat hose from furnace.. this is one of 2 flexible hoses before it enters duct work, I felt the heat and amount of air coming out. there wasn't much. the closest register from furnace is in bathroom, of course it had the most volume and heat. But, it sure wasn't much. If this is normal I'm sure not looking forward to using the camper in Spring and Fall.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Site Team

You have a bad blower fan/ motor on the furnace. Warranty will fix it. Have same camper in a Patriot version and the vents all have a good volume of hot air coming out.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
Site Team

Check and see if any of the plates are off or ajar on your furnace. Sometimes the ones they don't hook into come off or loose. Also take a mirror and flashlight and see if the end of the heat run is open or closed off. Mine was open. I plugged it. Check where the floor vents hook into the heat run, see if they are sealed. You can use that aluminum furnace tape for your sealing. If you can get all the leaks taken care of that furnace and blower will push plenty of heat for you. I did change out the floor register in the BR and the one at the end of the run in the back for ones that are adjustable.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I know the plates that your talking about. mine are in place. I removed the 2vents on steps, I can get to top and one side of furnace.I have very little heat or volume even before it gets to duct work. I'll check end of duct work.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

On our last Cruiser, there was a problem with open outlets at the furnace. The housing is universal and CR only uses the bottom outlet, but there are several 4" round covers on the sides for additional outlets. These just snap in place and they can be easily knocked loose. Or they may just leak a lot of air. Anyway, remove the return air grill, turn the furnace on and then feel around the furnace for air blowing out of it on the sides. Also check the seal around the base for air leaks. I sealed the covers and leaks with aluminum foil tape.

If this is not the problem, check for air leaks along the rest of the duct system. You can also remove the floor registers and inspect the duct interior with a mirror and flashlight. The main duct in the lower floor may leak at the ends if an end cap was missing. Or the two flex hoses in the basement may be loose.

If the propane burner fires up ok, then the blower motor is ok. The single motor has two fans, one pulls in outside air for combustion and the other blows air thru the RV and if the motor is running slow, the 'sail switch' will not allow the propane gas to turn on.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gah171

I know the plates that your talking about. mine are in place. I removed the 2vents on steps, I can get to top and one side of furnace.I have very little heat or volume even before it gets to duct work. I'll check end of duct work.

Well, guess Lloyd types faster than me. You need to check for air leaks on the back side of the furnace, in may case, it was the covers that were not visible on the back side that had come loose. If nothing else checks out, there may be an obstruction in the duct directly below the furnace and where it connects to the central duct. I don't know how to inspect that, may require removal of the furnace.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Ok, thanks. I'll have more to look into. hopefully get some decent heat out of the unit.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

I felt around furnace for heat leaks and there was, I completely removed furnace and sealed it with aluminum tape. one of the heat ducts fell off furnace when just feeling around for leaks. used sheet metal screws to hold the 2 things in place. I checked the duct work, the one in bedroom continues about 12" past register. I made a block off plate directly after register, the ductwork in living room continues way past register, possibly 3'. I put a block off plate directly after register there too. and then I turned furnace on. Still hardly any heat, volume. If I put the "complicated" thermostat (blower) on high the AC comes on. Was told by Dometic that it has to be on "Auto".so weird. wish there was a way to change thermostat to one like in my Jayco. it had AC, Heat, Fan. and a slide that you set the temp. One other thing I could do. the 2 heat vent on stairs. the lower one lines up with cut outs on furnace. I could remove the aluminum tape covering one cut out and have it blow heat right out of lower stair vent.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

As a sorta reference the heater in mine will lift a bathroom rug off the vent in the bedroom. There is that much airflow.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #12
Site Team

If you have a lot of flex pipe being used for heat run that will slow the air flow down also. I removed some that was in the front pass thru storage on our unit and replaced it with pipe.
I still maintain you must have a tremendous leak some place, or a big restriction coming off the furnace fan. That blower fan in there should blow your socks off.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Gary
Everyone on this thread had great info, and I can tell that you are a kinda guy that " if you want it done right, do it yourself " Unless your dealer is an UNGODLY distance away from you, and you are still under warranty, let him fix it. Instead of beating yourself up.IMHO
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT
Gary
Everyone on this thread had great info, and I can tell that you are a kinda guy that " if you want it done right, do it yourself " Unless your dealer is an UNGODLY distance away from you, and you are still under warranty, let him fix it. Instead of beating yourself up.IMHO

I think you nailed it Tommy. Use that warranty when you can. It will not last.
Best of Luck.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

There is no Crossroads dealer near me. I had it delivered to me from 425 miles away from a RV dealer. Cruise is new.dealer got it withsome damage during transport had it repaired.. Going to see if mylocal RV dealer uses same furnace (suburban) and thermostat (Dometic) and have them look at it. I do very much appreciate all the suggestions. So frustrating, all the problems.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Gary
I have a friend that bought the same model Cruiser as you. He had CR pick up the camper at his house take it to the factory and had the punch list of things wrong with the camper fixed at the factory, then towed back to his house when all the issues were fixed. I would like to think they would work with you to address your issue. At least it is worth the call.Good luck.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:47 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

I do notice these new furnaces are quieter and definitely don't blow the same force as the one we had in our 2008 Fleetwood Terry. That one would lift the rug off but was also very loud. These ones seem to be trying to be more efficient but have less air flow. First thing we noticed we needed was a vent in the bath that could be closed - it throws the most heat because it is so close to the furnace and we need that directed to other parts of the unit. Connections on ours seem good but I m going to go over it all and seal it better where necessary.

Great suggestions on this thread. I definitely prefer to fix it myself right because the cost is cheap and even though my time is worth money I always learn more and more about my unit by doing it that way.Edited by: WildWildWest
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

You guys are killing me with this furnace thread. It is 104* here right now and the last thingI am thinking about is a furnace.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:58 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
You guys are killing me with this furnace thread. It is 104* here right now and the last thingI am thinking about is a furnace.
Sorry about that Hunter11! But I used to live in TX and it was a dry heat...104* didnt' bother me at all when it was there....lol.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

I emailed Crossroads and they wanted pics of the duct and furnace. They said we should have more than 2 ducts coming out. He said to knock out another knockout from the furnace and add another hose and "Y" to one of the hoses and it should get more out of the furnace. I don't know why it would make more of an air flow? Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking?