Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Keyless entry contacts

One of the features we like on our trailer is the key-less entry. You use a code to get in. You can also use a key. It means we don't have to carry our keys all the time while in Florida.

The key-less entry uses power, which is provided by the battery. One day last winter in Florida the thing would not lock, and the cause turned out to be the contacts had corroded. My husband cleaned the contacts using sandpaper.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, what is the proper fix? A friend suggested electric cleaning spray. We were wondering if conductive electrical grease would keep it from corroding.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

The grease will keep it from corroding. Also every so often just smear it around with your finger on the door and the frame. Don't need any more just move it around.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Keep in mind the transmitter is in the door, under the window and frame is battery powered not from the camper but replaceable type. They are supposed to last several years but of course our 2013 didn't. Had to pull the door window out to access the transmitter which slides up and out of the window opening to replace the battery. You then get to reprogram it again. I drilled a hole on the inside of the door frame for access to the battery so I wouldn't have to pull the window next time. Just put a chrome plug in the hole and looks good.

Something to consider if you can't get it working.

J Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Theirs(?) and mine is not a wireless system. It's keyless and the power to operate it comes from the RV battery thru 2 contacts in the door and door frame. Mine is also not reprogrammable, stuck with factory code.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:58 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I assume ours gets it power from the battery, because there are contacts between the door and door frame. This is obviously to get power. If it were a battery in the door, then why would there be contacts?

It can be re-programmed, however. There was a sticker with the instructions when we bought the trailer. We did this.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

If yours looks like this I would like to get the re-programming instructions. I got nothing on the lock when I bought the trailer except the code in the cabinet. I tried to find the model # and gave up. Some can be reprogrammed and some can't. I figured the way it normally works for me I got the can't!!

Stupid I-Phone decided the picture needed to be sideways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0153[1].jpg (126.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-28-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

My husband thinks he has the instructions in the trailer, which is currently in for service. As soon as we get the trailer back, we will find the instructions, scan them in, and post them, maybe in the library too.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I know its confusing because it took me many phone calls to Southco and Crossroads to find a solution.
If you have a keypad labeled Southco and most were in 2012, 2013 it looks like the one in a previous post here. We have the same kit.

Your keypad only is powered by a small battery in the keypad, not hard wired. This is what goes bad after several years. You have to peel the keypad off the door to replace it, reseal it and attach it to the door. I just ordered a new one from Lippert.

Now the problem is you have to reprogram the receiver which is inside the door below the window frame (you can't see it) and thats what I was talking about in the previous post. It is powered by the 12v source coming through the door jam, those two prongs.

All the instructions for doing this are on Southco.com or Lippert's web site.

My deal had never done this and didn't know anything about it. After talking with Southco they convinced me it wasn't really that bad and they gave me their number to call if I had any problems and it went pretty smooth. Took me two hours taking my time and making the mod on the door so I wouldn't have to do this again next time.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Ok, you are saying that the picture I posted is the same as your unit?

Where I am confused is your first post said the transmitter is in the door and the latter said receiver. It seems it should be a receiver. Mine has a trap door on the inside of the door to access the inner part. Looks crude but I guess it works. Never opened it up.

See picture

Stupid phone...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0154[1].jpg (183.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Yes the transmitter is the keypad (mine is EA-R03-103 and the receiver (EA-RO2-202). You can see these at www.southco.com.
The panel you are showing (trap door) does not expose the receiver unfortunately. It does expose a latch plate with a key code in case you have lost your keys.
If you have to change the transmitter battery a CR2032 you have to remove the window to access the receiver to switches and follow their procedure or steps. You can have up to 4 transmitter devices, one being the keypad and I guess 3 key fob's if you want.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Ours does not have a key fob, like our car does. It merely has the combination lock buttons. To get power to those, there is a plate on the hinge side of the door which touches contacts in the door frame, where I am assuming it gets its power. Once when my husband had removed the battery, as he does before it gets really cold, the door would not open. No power. We just use the key then.

I cannot take pictures right now because the trailer is in for service.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

The ERA-R03-103 doesn't show up on their website.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:21 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

[QUOTE=J
If you have to change the transmitter battery a CR2032 you have to remove the window to access the receiver to switches and follow their procedure or steps. [/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but that makes no sense to me.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

OK I'm not even sure these parts are still used. I did this over a year ago because I didn't want to pay some tech whose never done it before $100 an hour to try. So if you have the same setup as mine with the same problem I had (it stopped working) I suggest you call Southco and they can send you some pdf files showing this procedure.
I have a 2013 335SS Patriot which came with the keyless entry.
Problem is you get the instructions from Southco and parts from Lippert. They call some of the parts different names.
We are talking about the keypad (transmitter) on the outside of the door.
On the inside you have a keyless entry mechanism (lipperts name) which is behind the panel by the inside latch or handle. This will push the dead bolt back and forth to lock and unlock. We also have the receiver which is programed with a code from the keypad. Its location is the one inside the door below the window frame and this communicates with the mechanism to lock or unlock the door. There is a Bridge connector in the door frame that supplies power to the receiver and mechanism and this was the first thing I check 12v and no problem.

I ordered a new keypad for the outside of the door (there recommendation) because the battery tested OK. So I replaced both the battery and keypad. From Lippert SKU# 239004 for $115.00. NO warranty for any of these items.
This fix all our problems starting from day one with the keyless entry and it's work great sense.

This might help someone with the same problem or may not.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

That makes sense. I tried looking this mess up on Lipperts website 6-8 months ago. As best I could figure I have the non-reprogrammable one. They make several different ones and I wanted to get key fobs but never could figure out which one I had and just gave up.