Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Pantry Smell

Has anyone else found that the food they keep in the pantry still smells like the pantry when you take it back into your house? I am a notorious over-packer - at least where camping food and snacks are concerned. I like to be prepared with options! We do not normally notice a smell in the pantry at all. The camper smells like camper...and we are not opposed to that smell. But when the trip is over and we take all the left-over dry goods back into the house, the camper smell stays with them. And it's pretty strong! You don't necessarily want a big wiff of camper every time you grab a cracker or have a bowl of Cheerios.

Again, this only seems to happen if the food is in there more than a few days. The pantry doesn't seem damp or anything, and we have had the a/c running for the past several trips, so the temperature in there stays pretty steady.

Next trip out I'm going to try a box of baking soda in there and see if that makes a difference. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Amy
Edge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Is it more of a formaldehyde type of smell, sawdust type smell, or musty? I would put some bounce dryer sheets in there when not in use and keep the door open when parked in storage. If you have vent covers (ie max air covers), then you can also keep your vents open when in storage. I close all of these going down the road.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Somewhere between formaldehyde and sawdust, I guess. I'll try the dryer sheets, thanks! We always leave the two vents open when it's in storage (we do have the Maxx Air II on both). And I'm sure I could prop open the pantry door somehow. I'm always afraid I'll forget to climb in and shut it when we pick it up. I'll figure something out.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

We leave the fridge open so it doesn't get moldy. Part of the hook up process is closing the fridge and vents. After awhile it becomes second nature to hook up, turn on propane, reconnect battery (now our battery has a cut off switch, before it didn't), close vents and fridge and check fridge operation. Do a walk around and lights check, then pull it home for loading. Routines are what keep it from being a problem. In the beginning we had a checklist but as time passed and routines emerged, the checklist went by the wayside. The new trailer smells (formaldehyde and sawdust) fade with time and airing things out repeatedly.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Supposedly by placing containers of water in the pantry mixed with baking soda, the odor is pulled out and into the water. Worth a shot.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

The product Damp Rid seems to work well plus the benefit of general moisture removal.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

We used Damp Rid in the pop-up because there was zero ventilation in there when it was closed up. I wasn't using it in the TT because we leave the vents open. However, I did put some in the last time we parked it...so I'll see in a couple weeks how much moisture it collected. (I'll keep in mind, of course, there is humidity getting in through those vents along with the fresh air.)

Between the Damp Rid, leaving the pantry door open when parked, and a breathable box of baking soda in the pantry...I'm guessing I'll have solved the problem. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks a bunch for the suggestions!
Old 08-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

My pantry smells like a wood cabinet. Box of baking soda should work. If it is a
formaldehyde smell just ventilate it. I personally am not a big fan of leaving vents open all the time. Just a way to increase the humidity level IMO.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
Site Team

I leave the vents open, windows open, and the door open. I have a big fan running in my building 24/7/365 days.
You are going to have humidity regardless of whether you have things opened or not. The idea is to have them open so the air can "circulate".
Reduces the chances of mold and or mildew forming.

I got this idea years ago from a dealer we purchased a 5th wheel from.
Back then jalousie were more the dominate window and rain didn't get in like it does now with the slider windows. The units sitting on his lot all had the windows cracked open, year around.
I know this isn't possible in all areas of the country do to dust blowing.

Ventilation will also help with any smells/odors you find offensive.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

EDGE2,
We think we know exactly what you are talking about. The scent seems to attach itself to plastics. We tried all of the old remedies; ammonia, baking soda, detergents and de-odorizing sprays BUT finally we washed down the cabinets with high strength ODO-BAN with great results.

We now leave the dresser and cabinet doors ajar. We replaced those little felt door bumpers with the thickest felt bumper we could find and also installed round soffit vents in the sides of the dressers (top and bottom). We will be doing the same to the pantry this winter.

We also use ODO-BAN in the black tank and spray it under the RV to discourage rodents.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #11
New Camper

I find it isn't only the pantry smell but everything. We come home and all of our clothes smell like the trailer. We have left the vents open, the windows and cupboards open. We tried washing things down but nothing.
Any ideas?
coley1730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

How new is you unit. The materials used in construction carry a multitude of ordors. Start by opening it up open doors and drawers and all roof vents. Plug in a fan an let it run for a couple of days. I also recommend using Damp Rid.
Read the other posts here on this thread for more advice
Old 08-23-2014, 08:17 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

OdoBan by the gallon...

My DW washed the ENTIRE RV interior with OdoBan. http://www.odoban.com/
That's the walls, ceilings, doors, closets inside and out, drawers inside and out, dressers inside and out, cabinets inside and out. The worst problem was the pantry as the black plastic vent pipe sucked up the smell. We sealed in the smell with waterborne polyurethane. Keep those cabinet and pantry doors ajar as well as the dresser drawers. Condensation accrues in the 30º F's; you want to keep storage areas warm. Keep the air moving inside the RV with a fan and vent moisture at the source; use the kitchen fan anytime you are cooking and use the bathroom vent anytime you are running hot, steaming water.
Now we keep the interior temperatures up and a ceiling vent cracked open. (hot air holds more moisture than cold air, so vent at the ceiling)
As SOCOGUY suggested above use Damp Rid devices. They make units that hang in the closet between your clothing, small units that sit on shelves just be very careful with the liquid that they produce.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote: As Dave said, " just be very careful with the liquid that they produce".

That liquid is toxic for any pets also don't use on any plants it is not water. Dispose of properly. (sewer). That said it is a very effective product.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Hi all!
New member, 1st post, here we go:
We have the same issue with odor in our new 28' Zinger BH Travel Trailer. We just bought the unit last spring. We were chalking up the odor to that "New Trailer Smell" but it certainly hasn't dissipated at all over the 1st season. Any food stored in the unit for more than a few days is rendered unetable!! I don't believe in my case it is moisture related, it's more like a formaldehyde or adhesive smell. Even after several machine washings you can still smell it in clothing & bed clothes!
The dealer & manufacturer appear to be playing dumb but at the same time they were pretty quick to suggest placing open bowls of ammonia in the unit during storage!... REALLY!... Fight one nauseous chemical with another..?? They don't know what's causing it but have some radical hijinx chemistry that just MAY solve the problem!!.. We are very disappointed to have to be living with & dealing with this issue on a brand new $30k unit, (not to mention the other 15 or so warranty issues that have dragged on over the 1st year!)
Our unit may benefit from additional ventilation.. I hate to risk leaving windows & vents open when we are away.
We will have to try & ventilate more but at this point, the odor is so persistent that I'm not all that confident it will make much difference. If it doesn't, we will have to get rid of this unit or take back to dealer for REFUND!

Cheers
CC
CanukCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #16
Site Team

If you have jalousie windows, you should be able to leave them cracked open all the time and not have any issues with them. Dealers do it all the time.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

I installed vent covers and leave the roof vents open all the time. even in the winter. snow piles up on top of them, but the trailer stays dry and vented.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Ammonia in an open tin plate will do the trick put it in several different spots and leave the unit for 24 hours. Than come back remove it an air out the unit I did mine for another 24 hours. got rid of the smell all together. I did it myself on the Zinger, when I purchased the Cruiser The dealership had all ready done it as part of their get ready.
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
Ammonia in an open tin plate will do the trick put it in several different spots and leave the unit for 24 hours. Than come back remove it an air out the unit I did mine for another 24 hours. got rid of the smell all together. I did it myself on the Zinger, when I purchased the Cruiser The dealership had all ready done it as part of their get ready.

This will work best if done in the summer on a hot day with the rig sitting outside in the sun.

I've done it on mine also, and it worked.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
I installed vent covers and leave the roof vents open all the time. even in the winter. snow piles up on top of them, but the trailer stays dry and vented.
First thing I did on mine was install vent covers. My father has had a fair amount of water damage from vents breaking during outside storage. I thought the lifetime warranty on the covers were the way to go.
I have not closed the vents for more then a couple days at a time when running the ac or heat. They have been open almost since we bought it.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L ext. Cab 8' bed.
jakesz28 is offline   Reply With Quote