Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #1
New Camper

Sunset Trail Reserve 32RL Furnace Issues

Hello all,

I'm needing some help troubleshooting my gas furnace. It runs great but at random times, and for no apparent reason the mode on the digital display will switch from "HEAT GAS" to "OFF.

I use a large tank for propane and have plenty of it. Any ideas what could be causing the furance to shut off? I full time with it in Ohio for work. Could lead to some issues with the upcoming cold snap.

Thanks in advance.
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I'm not familiar with the thermostat you have, it may be the problem, or it may be a 'smart' thermostat that detects other issues. There are several other possibilities that may shut the furnace off. First is the propane leak detector, should be inside the trailer near the floor, since propane is heavier than air. An intermittent electrical connection to this detector will cause it to shut off the propane supply and no propane appliance will work. Another possibility is the 'sail switch' in the furnace air intake, if air flow drops too low, it will shut off the furnace only. Intermittent or low voltage to the furnace blower or even a defect in the blower may cause a temporary drop in air flow and the sail switch will shut the furnace off. Finally, propane pressure may be marginal caused by a pinched line or regulator set too low and then the water heater or stove turning on may drop the pressure too low for the furnace.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:50 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

ChrisM,
There is a furnace troubleshooting guide in the library under the "Documents" section. This may help out.

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
New Camper

Thank you both for your help.

After reading the troubleshooting guide it sounds like it could be a myriad of things. I know my voltage is good coming from the battery and I would think the LP pressure isnt a problem as the furnace is the only thing running off a residential sized tank.

Sounds like I need to poke around and see if I can spot anything wrong.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #5
Site Team

Not trying to sound sarcastic.
Do you have the right pressure regulator on the residential tank?
I think there should be one on the tank and another before it enters the RV?
Like a house.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
New Camper

I BELIEVE so, I am going to look up the regulator when I get back to the camper.

I assume its the correct one as the install was professionaly done by the dealer who does all the RV set ups in the camp.

As far as I know the only regulator in line is the one off the tank which then runs through copper tubing into the factory LP line on the trailer.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #7
Site Team

I thought there was suppose to be a high pressure regulator on the tank, and a low pressure where it enters the residence.
Now, don't take this to the bank. I just trying to shoot some thoughts out to you, and I'm not 100% sure I'm right. So maybe there is a member here who is better versed on the "correct" procedure and will chime in.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:47 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Do you have a gas stove/range? If so, and if those are working, your regulator should be OK. I had problem with my furnace one time, and the line from the LP tank, where it connects to the furnace was plugged up. Apparently, LP tanks can get debris in them, and it ends up in your lines.

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote