Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
New Camper

My wife, kids, and I are new owners of a 2005 Cross Terrain 36DS. What a big trailer. We really like it so far and plan on getting good use out of it with kids, friends, and family. But I have lots of questions if you guys have time to answer them. Trouble with "used" is I'm having to figure out most issues and items on my own. But that's not necessarily a bad thing either since I'm becoming very proficient on how this thing was put together and how to make things "right". Look forward to hearing back from anyone.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to m zoll

welcome sound's great.we have a 34MK 2006 crossroads crossTerrain we love it.
if anything I can help you with just let me know?

1999 F350 crew Dually,power stroker

2006 mk34 cross terrian toyhauler
m zoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
New Camper

Hey good to hear from you.

Your trailer is a 36' if I remember right. Is it a triple axle? I'm needing tires and going to be installing a set of Maxxis E rated since my trailer GVWR is 15,500. I cant afford to upgrade to 16" wheels just yet so I hope these are going to be fine. What concerns me is LOTS of tire scrubbing when making any turns and it just seems like things are going to tear apart. Does yours fair well?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to m zoll
I just put a new set of tire's a year ago and they are 15", the same size that came on it
I try and not turn too sharp to keep it from scrubbing,which seem's to work no problem.
It measure's 37ft from back to front that is where I get that.

1999 F350 crew Dually,power stroker

2006 mk34 cross terrian toyhauler
m zoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
New Camper

Have you had any issues with your trailer which I should look out for? I've been going through this mine with a fine toothed comb since I brought it home a few months ago. There can be lots of bugs with used trailers. Also, I may have to have mine lifted a couple inches since my Dodge Ram sits a little high for a stock truck.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:12 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I used to own a 2007 MK-33 toy hauler , and now own a 3612 Elevation toy hauler. Over time I pretty much figured out everything I needed to keep on running. All you have to do is ask the questions you have and someone will have the answer.

This is a fantastic avenue to get help & advise.

Take care of your rig and it will take care of you.

Good luck

Steve

2011 Chevy Siverado 2500w/Duramax Diesel

2013 Elevation 3612
stevenrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:21 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom
My wife, kids, and I are new owners of a 2005 Cross Terrain 36DS. What a big trailer. We really like it so far and plan on getting good use out of it with kids, friends, and family. But I have lots of questions if you guys have time to answer them. Trouble with "used" is I'm having to figure out most issues and items on my own. But that's not necessarily a bad thing either since I'm becoming very proficient on how this thing was put together and how to make things "right". Look forward to hearing back from anyone.

Katoom,

Not sure if you got all of those questions answered? We bought a used TF32SS 34' triple axle toy hauler last year. As Steve has noted above, there are many things that come up as you go. Without a specific manual for mine, I had many questions too.

I had to replace the inlet hose for the fresh water tanks and the city waterone way valve. Not much really. Had to find the e-track parts from E-Trailer.com to tie down motorcycles, etc.

The biggest thing for us was to just use it. It didn't take long to figure out most stuff like water/fuel/gray and black watercapacities. Some the hard way.

Enjoy.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
New Camper

Thank you guys for the replies. I have found out so much on this trailer simply from having no other options but to figure it out on my own. No owners manual available and I cant find anything on the internet either but basic specifications of the next newer year, 2006.

I have to do the same and get more parts for the garage e-track system but thats not too big of a deal. My biggest issue at the moment is the "actual" weights instead of the advertised weights. I pulled through the hwy patrol scales and found that the rear axle scaled out at 7000 lbs. More that I anticipated since thats probably well over 3000 lbs, if not close to 4000 lbs.....unless I'm doing something wrong. So until I can scale the truck unloaded, I wont know what that true pin weight really was. I actually dumped ALL fresh, black, and grey and scaled again only to find I dropped about 850 lbs. Good news was that the trailer axles were only seeing about 9000 lbs. Thats much lighter than I thought.....well since its obviously holding all the rest of the weight on the pin.

I know that toy haulers tend to have heavy pin weights so that loaded toy/cargo weight will lessen the pin weight but anything in the mid 3000's seems just to heavy. Anyone have any opinions or suggestions? And thanks again for the help.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
New Camper

Just to add to my last post, for assured comparisons, I passed through the same scales today to weigh the truck empty without the trailer. The rear axle was 3080 (including the hitch) so my pin weight was approximately 3900 lbs with liquid and 3700 without. Thats REALLY HEAVY. And to add to that, the unladen weight of the trailer isn't 10700 but really 12500 lbs and the advertised pin of 2450 lb is not even close to the actual pin weight of 3700 lbs. The only variable I can try is seeing if the pin lightens any when the garage is full of toys and stuff. I'm doubting that its going to drop 1000 lbs off the front since I don't see the teeter totter affect being that great with the triple axles.

I'm sad because now I've invested time, money, and love in a gorgeous trailer that may be to heavy for the truck. I find it completely unfair that manufactures can market such unrealistic numbers to the consumer. But, I guess now I know better and if I have to look for a new trailer, I'll be smarter on the size in relation to the true numbers.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:02 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Katoom,

My trailer has a 15,500 GVWR also with approx 5,600# in available load capacity, although I can't imagine ever using all of that. I does require a non-commercial A license here in Cal. being over 15k, but we've already got that.

The truck GCWR is 23,000 and it weighs approx 8,800 so with the max wt of 15,500 trailer, I have an available -1,300 to haul. What it really means is that I need to haul less than 14,200 max including trailer and truck. No way I'll pull 4,300#'s in added weight when hauling just motorcycles.

I haven't put mine on a set of scales yet but I haven't had any issues with pulling this guy.I do now wonder what my pin weight is and will have to find out.

If your truck has a similar GCWR, you would only "legally" be able to add 1700 # (unladen 12,500 with a max pulling of 14,200) to your total load. Not much to put in the garage after all other stuff likefood, supplies, water, etc.

Just take it slow. After all, you're probablyon vacation and can take your time.
Edited by: r2millers

Bob and Better Half

Reese 16k slider
Old 10-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

What are you hauling it with and what % of the total weight is on the fifth wheel.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #12
New Camper

Good morning, I also just purchased a 2005 36ds. According to new manuals, water pump automatically shifts between city water and fresh water tanks. Doesn't seem to be the case here. Do you know where the water pump switch is located?
Old 09-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Sr View Post
Good morning, I also just purchased a 2005 36ds. According to new manuals, water pump automatically shifts between city water and fresh water tanks. Doesn't seem to be the case here. Do you know where the water pump switch is located?
Phil,
You probably have it worked out by now but the city water line enters After the water pump and city pressure is what's used.
I turn my pump off when hooked up to city but it doesn't sense the need for pressure and won't usually activate.
So, I guess to your point, it does work automatically as there's nothing you need to switch.
My inlet one way valve broke a while back and pumped quite a bit of water back out of it.
After replacing, I now carry a 3/4" mht (male hose thread) plug just in case it happens again. It's the same type of plug you would use for your black tank cleaning connection. Just not the same exact plug of course!

Bob and Better Half

Reese 16k slider
Old 09-06-2019, 10:47 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Sold my Crossterrain

Well, I haven't been on here for a while. We sold our trailer with the intent of getting a class C motorhome that my wife could also drive.
After a 2016 fight with Leukemia , it slowed us down and now it's again, reared its ugly head.
I've got to go through more radiation, chemotherapy , immunotherapy, etc.
Not sure of our next steps yet but hope to be out there soon.
Live everyday to the fullest and never take a day for granted.
Happy Trails.

Bob and Better Half

Reese 16k slider
Old 09-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #15
Site Team

Bob, best wishes for a successful recovery. You will be in our prayers.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Bob, may God bless you and I pray you recover and continue your camping memories. Stay strong!

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #17
Site Team

Hang in there. Take one day at a time. Dont fight tomorrows battles today. I do not know you personally but what you are fighting is personal to our family. Will keep you in our prayers.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:49 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Thank you all for the kind thoughts and comments. I'm in the best hands again at Ronald Reagan UCLA for treatment.
The whole team has been amazing and we do take it one day at a time.
I beat one time, no reason to stop now.
Thanks again for all the prayers and concerns.

Bob and Better Half

Reese 16k slider