Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
New Camper

2006 Cross Terrain Awning

We recently purchased a 2006 38' Cross Terrain. The previous owner couldn't tell us how to put the awning down because they had never used it. What exactly causes it to release and extend? It appears to be manual, not electric.
achallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

If you look at the far front corner there should be a metal lever. Push it one direction for out, the other to roll up. Have your hand on the awning strap and poles disconnected before flipping the switch. You will also need a pole/hook or longer strap to hold onto the strap as it gets shorter as the awning rolls up (it rolls up into the awning).

here is a step by step with pictures.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
New Camper

Thanks! That's just what I needed. I'll try it out tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by achallie View Post
We recently purchased a 2006 38' Cross Terrain. The previous owner couldn't tell us how to put the awning down because they had never used it. What exactly causes it to release and extend? It appears to be manual, not electric.
Have you now had a chance to get this guy out and used a bit?

Let us know how it's going? I love our 32' Cross Terrain.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
New Camper

We've only taken it out once so far. We had talked about buying a toy hauler for a while now but really had no intention buying one just yet. It just so happened that we ran across a deal we really couldn't pass up. I had to fix a couple of things on it was really "ready" to use. The generator had stopped working on it. The previous owner didn't know why and never bothered to find out since she never used it. I could tell someone had taken a look at it because the air filter housing was missing but everything else was in tact. After a little investigating I discovered the generator had a broken belt. It was a royal P.I.T.A getting it out by myself but after wrestling it out I replaced the drive belt. Once the belt was replaced I got it running but not very well. My second suspicion was affirmed. Since the gen had not been run in so long, the fuel that was left in it had varnished. The carbs on these are basically disposable so $250 bucks later and the gen was up and running. Another problem it had was noise from the front AC unit. As it turned out, the squirrel cage hub had cracked and needed replacement. So another $40 and we had a working AC. They had disconnected the surround sound setup so I had to trace that out to get it hooked back up. Unfortunately shortly after getting it hooked back up the receiver itself went out so it looks like I'll have to replace that. Other than that, she's good to go. one last issue we had to address was what to pull it with. Even with the aluminum frame this thing is pretty heavy, particularly when loaded down with the bikes and everything else. I really didn't trust the old F250 6.0 with over 300,000 miles on it to pull it safely so I was "forced" to sell it off and purchase a 2008 F450...darn the luck...:-)
Old 06-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Well, the good news is how much you learn when you do those repairs or fixes yourself.
You just hate to find things out when you start to use it.
I didn't know the generator had a belt? Maybe for a cooling fan? Is it a 5500w Onan?
I pull our's with a 6.0 but it does just fine.
Remember your frame structure above is aluminum but the chassis I-frame is still steel and pretty beefy. What's your gvw for that 36 ft'r?
Mines at 15,500.
Here in Calif, you need a class A commercial or non commercial license for a 5th wheel, anything heavier then 15,000lbs.
The CHP are really clamping down on this. If stopped and not licensed right, you have 15 minutes to move it with a qualified driver, or they do! Not good.
Not to mention what the insurance company would have to say in the case of an accident!

Bob and Better Half

Reese 16k slider
Old 06-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
Well, the good news is how much you learn when you do those repairs or fixes yourself.
I didn't know the generator had a belt? Maybe for a cooling fan? Is it a 5500w Onan?
Remember your frame structure above is aluminum but the chassis I-frame is still steel and pretty beefy. What's your gvw for that 36 ft'r?
Mines at 15,500.
Here in Calif, you need a class A commercial or non commercial license for a 5th wheel, anything heavier then 15,000lbs.
The CHP are really clamping down on this. If stopped and not licensed right, you have 15 minutes to move it with a qualified driver, or they do! Not good.
Not to mention what the insurance company would have to say in the case of an accident!

If you are from a state that doesn't have a class A requirement what happens if you get pulled?

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 06-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
If you are from a state that doesn't have a class A requirement what happens if you get pulled?
As long as you are legal in your registered jurisdiction (state or province) where your tags are from you are fine. If you were registered in California then you must have the proper paperwork. If just visiting you are good to go.

Same thing in our province (Saskatchewan) you need a Class 1 license or G01 endorsement to tow over 10,200lbs but if you are pulling a trailer over that weight in the province and are registered in a jurisduction that doesn't require it (eg. Alberta) you are fine.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
There are websites that indicate if one state has reciprocity with others on certain laws.
Some do and some don't.
Refer to the second paragraph for a rough idea.

http://dmvanswers.com/questions/1720...y-with-another

And another from "how stuff works"...."Forty-seven states and all Canadian provinces have trailer towing laws that observe reciprocity. This means that if your towing set-up is legal in your state, an infraction of the laws of the state you're visiting can be overlooked. So if you're from Illinois and your 8 1/2-foot-wide trailer is touring through Arizona, where state law dictates residents' trailers can't exceed eight feet in width, you'll most likely get a pass. Beware; this is not the case in Colorado, Delaware and Georgia, where you could get a fine for violating state towing laws, even if your towing set-up is legal in your home state."

Bob and Better Half

Reese 16k slider
Old 06-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Ok thanks guys.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 06-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
Mines at 15,500.
Not sure how I would feel about that, lol. I'm glad I live in the Volunteer State, where we are free to move about.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote