Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to New Trailer Mom
Ok, now what are your thoughts on the upgraded insulation should I get it or not? We live in New England and will mostly be camping all around here from mostly April til October. Â*There may be an occasion when we may take a trip down to Florida in Feb. Â*Is it necessary or not? Â*My parents have a Hitchhiker 5th wheel, and their is a Â*four season unit, Â*They get a lot of condensation building up when they run there heat for a while when its cold outside, yet a friend of theirs just bought a new trailer with upgraded insulation and she states she does not get the condensation building up on the walls and windows anymore. Â*So I don't know, what are your thoughts and experience
Old 03-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
If it were me, I would get the insulation upgrade. I would also get the window upgrade also. Did some camping in Feb this year and 5ver was cold.

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

With or without the upgraded insulation you are going to get condensation on the windows if they are not dual pane.If it is in your budget get both the insulation upgrade and the dual pane windows.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
With or without the upgraded insulation you are going to get condensation on the windows if they are not dual pane.If it is in your budget get both the insulation upgrade and the dual pane windows.

I agree with Hunter11.
We got the upgrade on insulation, but not the windows. The added weight of the windows stopped me when we ordered. Wish now we had got that also.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:30 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I agree get the extra Insulation package. I am not sorry that we got that If I had known about the Insulated windows I would have gotten that also
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:42 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to New Trailer Mom
I don't see any option for double pain windows for the Sunset Trail ST30BH model. It does have an option for safety glass (where required) I guess certain states require it. While we on the subject of windows. Â*I can't remember if the sunset trails have the dark tinted glass, Â*I like this so that you cannot see in from the outside during the daylight hours for privacy. Does any one know, do they come with the dark tinted glass? Â*
Old 03-26-2009, 12:54 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I may be wrong on this but I think the dual pane windows are only available on the Cruiser line and up.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:21 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

IMHO: I would get every option you can, trust Me a little pricey (maybe), but well worth it in the end. ie: larger fridge, larger hot water tank, insulation package, bigger A/C, fantastic fans,......

02 F250 PSD

07 Cruiser: CF29RK

You CAN get there from here it just takes longer https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/100_1893.jpg
riverotter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:38 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I have the up-graded insulation but I din't buy the thermo paine windows, I can assure you I won'y make that mistake again, get the windows and the insulation, it is worth every penny, a friend of mine has a 5th with insulated glass and the difference is amazing...

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:51 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Some options are unpublished, so call Crossroads if you want the dual-pane widnows.

And Yes, the upgraded insulation is nice.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:45 AM   #11
New Camper

The 30BH does have tint.

Stupid question but doesn't the heat keep it warm enough? We are in CT and start camping next week and the heat actually makes it hot in the camper.
dougandbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:49 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougandbeth
The 30BH does have tint.

Stupid question but doesn't the heat keep it warm enough? We are in CT and start camping next week and the heat actually makes it hot in the camper.
Makes it EASIER to heat--EASIER to cool. Win, Win both ways.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:40 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
Quote:

Thats what it is supposed to do.

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer

Quote:
The 30BH does have tint.

Â*

Stupid question but doesn't the heat keep it warm enough?Â* We are in CT and start camping next week and the heat actually makes it hot in the camper.
Makes it EASIER to heat--EASIER to cool. Win, Win both ways.

We're in Michigan and our camping season is like yours. Â*I have the insulation upgrade + the window upgrade on my ST. Â*Not only is it more energy efficient to have it insulated, you will find it quieter as well. Â*You will still hear noise from the campground but it will not be as noticeable. Â*This is a real plus when your neighbors are having a few beers around the campfire, and the discussions get louder as the night gets later ... and you're trying to sleep.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverotter55
IMHO: I would get every option you can, trust Me a little pricey (maybe), but well worth it in the end. ie: larger fridge, larger hot water tank, insulation package, bigger A/C, fantastic fans,......

I definitely agree. The only thing we weren't able to get was double paned glass. It wasn't available at the time.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Trailer Mom
I don't see any option for double pain windows for the Sunset Trail ST30BH model. It does have an option for safety glass (where required) I guess certain states require it. While we on the subject of windows. I can't remember if the sunset trails have the dark tinted glass, I like this so that you cannot see in from the outside during the daylight hours for privacy. Does any one know, do they come with the dark tinted glass?
We have a ST 27 RB with dark tinted glass. It does make it very dark in the trailer. I actually removed the night shades (which were a dark beige) and replaced them with some white mini blinds to brighten it up. If they had white or light cream night shades I would have just left them alone. BUT to answer your question, I don't know if they come with tinted windows, that is what was on ours when we bought it.

2008 ST27RB

2007 F150 4 x 4

Traveling with 3 labs!
Threedognight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Definately do both windows and insulation. I am camping right now in Missouri with the wind blowing and temps in the middle 30's. My pelonis heater is keeping the camper a nice toasty 70-degrees. I use the furnace to help bring the heat up to temp, then let the electric heater take over from there. I will run the furnace every now and then just to put some heat to the tanks underneath. Sure does help save on the propane.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote