Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I'm getting ready for the annual summer vacation and trying to get all my ducks in a row. We are heading for Glacier from Minnesota which requires significant travel through the boonies (no service available). I read a thread someplace not too long ago that stated the op lost a complete wheel assembly because the lug bolts were on too tight and they all snapped off. A few years ago while traveling through Montana we saw what appeared to be a very big black bird flying through the interstate median. When it got close we realized it was a complete wheel assembly which took one big final bounce and luckily flew into the ditch. Then we saw the 5th wheel on the opposing lane of traffic with one end of an axle just hanging in the breeze. This was about 60 miles from Billings...60 miles from Billings Montana with one end of an axle hanging in the breeze is a really bad thing. So to minimize the chance of that happening to me I want to make sure I have the correct torque setting. This week I had all four wheel assemblies removed to take care of a brake problem. With only about 10 miles on the newly installed wheels I will be taking a torque wrench along. Does anybody know what Lippert recommends for the correct lug bolt torque setting? How often should they be checked?

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Lippert has a different torque setting depending on the axle you have. I found the torque setting in the owners guide for the axles that came with our fifth. You may want to start there.

Rob,Sue&Cyndi

2008 Dodge 3500 6.7
RSCREES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

My advice is to contact Crossroads directly. I posted on another section of this forum about losing a wheel and after getting my Cruiser back from being repaired, discovered one of the lug bolts was frozen tight. Had to strip it to get the nut off.

Dealer checked all the wheels and found at least three otherlugson a different wheels were frozen also. Had to break three studs to get them off.

Dealer contacted Crossroads and said he thought 120lbs of torque was too much for a 1/2 inch stud. The Crossroads rep. said "of course 120 is too much." When the dealer pointed out that 120lbs was the torque listed in the owners manual the Crossroads person said "Oh, I guess we have a problem."

The new bolts and lugs on my Cruiser are now torqued to 90lbs. Not sure how it pertains to your model, but sounds like they are issuing the same manual for Cruisers as well as other models even though the studs are different sizes. The good news is my dealer has stood behind the repair work 100% without any hassle.

Good luck.
Kevin from K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I also torque mine around 90# I think they are at 95# now that I think about it.

My axles are Alko axles and their manual says to torque the lugs in stages. The stages are 1) 20-25# 2)50-60# 3)85-95#

The manual also says to check thetorque on them every 50 miles for the first 200 miles. Then after that recheck the torque every 3000 miles or 3 months whichever comes first.

If you remove a wheel start all over again with that wheel.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Site Team

This is an old thread, but I thought I would bring it back up. I replaced my 15 in. wheels and tires with 16 in. today, and I ran into an old problem. It seems like every time I pull my wheels to check something or do a grease job, when I go to put them back on, I have some bolts or lug nuts with bad threads. I have ended up replacing quite a few so far. Today when I was putting the new tires on, same thing, I had 3 bad lug nuts. I believe the problem is over torquing the lug nuts.
I've always torqued to 90# but I backed off to 85# today. I'm considering on backing off to 80#. I think that might be to much torque and it's pulling the threads.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Lloyd,
I have 16 inch wheels on my new 5er and my dealer told me 80# would be adequate...again, he did say to check them often, which I do before starting out on every trip. A little extra work, but better than having an axle hanging in the wind so to say

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote