Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2017, 03:24 AM   #1
New Camper

Best weight distribution hitch

Hello , Everyone
I am new to the idea of weight distribution hitches. I recently purchased a ZT211RD and would like to use a hitch with it. The problem I'm having is the position of the propane tanks and electric box. Does anyone know of a hitch long enough so I don't have to move them? Looks to be at least 30 inches from ball. With the low clearance would like to go with trunnion style bars.
Thanks, Budman

PS. I will be pulling it with GMC Sierra 1500
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I have the equalizer hitch for my Z231
Danny Pyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I just had a Curt 7200 series WD hitch and sway controller installed on my Hill Country 26RB (it's a Sunset Trail with a Texas package). No problem with clearing the tanks and batteries.

It shouldn't make any difference for installing a WD hitch but the tow vehicle is a 2016 RAM 2500.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

We have a Blue Ox Sway Pro with 1000lb bars for our super lite 240BH and love it SwayPro® | Blue Ox However if you truly want the best of the best then look for a Hensly Arrow or Pro Pride, but be prepared to drop 2 grand

.... Everyday is a good day for Camping....
Poppabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:37 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

This is the one CW sold us with our Z-1 211RD. They had to adapt a different shank bar (up/down adjust, the one with holes) because of the tall height of my Nissan Titan hitch, and the low height (as you know) the 211RD. One our first trip, we made one minor adjustment, and it's been fine ever since.
The torsion bars do run low, as does that shank bar I mentioned. It will bottom out on a crest, a steep drive, etc. Frankly, I don't like the way it looks hovering about 3" above the pavement, but we've had it all over the USA without problems. Get the one you want, adjust it carefully, and readjust as needed. BTW, I have moved the TT around on the property without the WD hitch, but it pulls the truck down, and I wouldn't go on the road without the hitch. Round Bar Weight Distributing Hitch - 1000 lb Tongue Weight - Camco 48053 - Weight Distribution Hitches - Camping World
BTW, here is the anti-sway bar they sold us also. Nothing fancy, pretty straightforward, and works well. Our setup looks exactly as pictured in this link. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ol-right/42235
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
New Camper

Anderson

Check out the Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch! Best WDH I've owned! No bars, works off chains and no modification to tanks or anything else. KJ
Old 03-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I've used this setup for every TT we've had. No issues and no complaints. I went on the beefy side when ordering and got the 1200lb setup.

Eaz-Lift 48069 Elite Weight Distributing Hitch Kit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61akpAQEJ+L._SL1350_.jpg (70.0 KB, 20 views)

2016 Crossroads 291 RL Z-1
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Outdoorsman
www.wildlifeupclose.com
moore_rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:34 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

On a previous 35' Heartland I had, I was using a round bar WD hitch with a friction antisway device. I hated that friction device as it did not help much with sway. I bought a Reese Straight Line (p/n 66074) and it is flawless. I had it switched over to my current unit and I have no issues with it at all.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_0118.PNG (66.6 KB, 22 views)
Reese StraightLine WD w/dual cam sway control
Delillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:46 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delillo View Post
On a previous 35' Heartland I had, I was using a round bar WD hitch with a friction antisway device. I hated that friction device as it did not help much with sway. I bought a Reese Straight Line (p/n 66074) and it is flawless. I had it switched over to my current unit and I have no issues with it at all.
I know many who use the same setup as you. They say the same thing. The round bar has served us well. We swap it from TT to TT. But we haven't had any issues. The time will come to invest in a new system and we will most likely go in another direction.

www.wildlifeupclose.com
Old 03-02-2017, 07:37 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

The round bar hitch worked well with our first TT. It wad a 20 footer with UVW of 4000 lbs. I switched to the Heartland Wilderness 3150DS bunkhouse that was 35 feet and UVW of 7000 lbs. I ended up with severe sway so i added the friction control. It didnt do much to keep that beast in line and was a PITA to have to disconnect when backing sharply. I then went for the Reese and that cured the problem, so when I traded the 3150DS for the Sunset Trail, i insisted on the dealer switching the Reese also. There is absolutely no discernible sway at all. Granted the new TT is 5 feet shorter and 1000 lbs lighter.
Reese StraightLine WD w/dual cam sway control
Delillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:14 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I have not used the friction sway bar yet with the Z1. The ball plate was not mounted on the new TT so I had not hooked it up. The weight distribution works great and the TT is 33ft. So no discernible sway with it so far. I'll add the ball plate soon but not sure I'll use it.

www.wildlifeupclose.com
Old 05-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
We have a Blue Ox Sway Pro with 1000lb bars for our super lite 240BH and love it SwayPro® | Blue Ox However if you truly want the best of the best then look for a Hensly Arrow or Pro Pride, but be prepared to drop 2 grand
I have the Blue Ox Sway Pro (1,000lb) as well. Simple to use...best hitch I've used so far!
Old 09-28-2017, 08:07 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Reese Steadi-Flex 1400/14K

Easy set-up and works extremely well for controlling sway on the road. I towed the camper home the other day with a pretty good crosswind. Naturally I could feel it being pushed around a little but never felt out of control. The only downside is that it can be a little noisy maneuvering around the campground.

Even though the thread is old, I figure someone is bound to check it out for information.
Grems4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:21 PM   #14
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grems4ever View Post
Reese Steadi-Flex 1400/14K

Easy set-up and works extremely well for controlling sway on the road. I towed the camper home the other day with a pretty good crosswind. Naturally I could feel it being pushed around a little but never felt out of control. The only downside is that it can be a little noisy maneuvering around the campground.

Even though the thread is old, I figure someone is bound to check it out for information.
This picture is a very good view of how any wdh should be set up, ball slightly tilted, bars parallel to the frame regardless whether they are hung by chains or as shown in the photo.
ALL wdh will make noise especially when turning, just the nature of them.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:00 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

IMHO, Pro-Pride or Henlsey... https://www.propridehitch.com/
expensive, but my Ford Excursion barely felt the 35' TT behind it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=prop...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 09-29-2017, 06:25 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Husky Center Line

I like the Pro Pride 3P designed by the people that originally did the Hensley Arrow. The latter was/is widely accepted as one of the best WD hitches with sway control that actually doesn't control but eliminates sway. The Pro Pride is supposedly an improvement on the original design. They are the most expensive WD hitches out there that are $2k+ though.

As such when I did my research to pull my 29' I decided to use the Husky Center Line. The physics of the design work and I've been very happy with the results. I determined to try it and see how I liked it and if it wasn't good enough then I'd bite the bullet and upgrade to the Pro Pride. I haven't had a need to do that and while the CL isn't cheap, it's a lot less than the PP. It's heavy and you have to be pretty much in a straight line to hitch/un-hitch. But these are the only two negatives.

Prev.: '05 GMC Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer
CenterLine HD (original)
1 wife, 5 kids, 1 rescue lab-mix
FezUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:10 AM   #17
New Camper

I have a round bar Ultra-Fab setup. Works good for me. I had a Reese friction sway bar (no WD) on my tent trailer and it was rock solid. Haven't needed it yet but I have the ability to add left and right friction sway to my hitch head if I find it necessary. Hard to argue when I picked it up new for $275 taxed.

A Hensley is close to $3k if I recall. I even ordered the DVD from the website. I'm not in an over loaded white buckle situation like the old dodge Intrepid with a tri-axel Airstream in the Hensley video.
alexramsey is offline   Reply With Quote