Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #1
New Camper

We bought our Slingshot trailer a year ago. It has a very strong odor. Not a new smell and not a moldy smell.
Can anyone tell me what this smell is and how do I get rid of it?
Aired it out, wiped it down with vinegar and water. Sprayed Febreeze in it. Did anyone
else have this problem?

karenthib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I think that every trailer hasan odor. It has a lot to do with the adhesives and the composition of the material in the trailer. There is initially a lot of off-gasing of the volitiles and that may take a year or so. After that the trailer seems to acquire an odor of it's own. Ours is that way, andgets pretty heavy through the winter while in storage. We always air it out in the spring. I think that the every day odors of camping, infiltrate the trailer and no matter how hard you try to get rid of them,they just seem to linger. I think that a lot of theoder isdue to wood smoke from campfires.
I really didn't help you to get rid of the odor, but maybe you'll accept it.

Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Karen,
Somewhere on this forum is a posting about how to get rid of odors. I can't remember where I saw it but it entailed basically putting about 2 cups of ammonia in a pie dish on the table or counter in your trailer and leaving it there for about 4 hours or more. After that just air it out...not sure how the chemical reaction of this works but I've seen others say that it does work. Best of luck to you.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I wouldn't like that ammonia idea for ammonia solution is the gas disolved in it and the gas is quite corrosive on many substances can be a health hazard.

Walkingstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I hit the button to quickly but I do agree with hamops on what he said. I don't remember any of our five units we owned being odor free and they all had some unique odor when purchased. If it is nauseating or bothersome and is that bad I would have it checked out. I had a friend that had a mouse get caught on one of those sticky traps that crawled up into an area near the furnace and died. It somehow was getting dispersed with the heat through the vents and that was a foul odor.

Walkingstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusSailor
A trick I use on my boat that I am also going to use in the camper.....I purchase the calcium chloride pellets that look like tiny moth balls, put them in a large plastic colander, then put the colander on top of a bucket. It will draw moisture out of the air for several weeks. The bucket will end up with a gallon or more of water in it. The pellets can be replaced any number of times during the winter. Another thing you might want to try is open buckets of charcoal. They will help to keep down odors.
Found this in previous posts from a long time forum member...perhaps you can try this.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Hamops is correct, and I believe what you smelling is the formaldehyde (sp?) that is used in the building materials. We purchased our '04 when it was a couple years old. The day we looked at it on the dealers lot it was closed up and sitting in the sun. The smell was bad enough that we could not stay in the unit for more than 10 or 15 minutes. Once it was open and air circulated thru it wasn't as bad. Even the next year when we opened it in the spring the smell was still there but not as bad. It's completelygone now. From what I have read here on the forum, the ammonia trick will work and has been used by several members with no issue's.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
New Camper

I REALLY appreciate all the feedback on my "smell" problem and it's really been a huge problem for us. Thank you everyone.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Is it a new smell or has it always been there?

mnsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
New Camper

It has always been there.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

May sound strange but I would sanitize the water system, then add a little bit of the odor eliminator for water systems.
Won't hurt to try.
Just a thought

mnsunset is offline   Reply With Quote