Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
New Camper

Smile 2013 Zinger 25RB

Hi folks-
I was happy to find this group as we just upgraded from a pop-up to the Zinger. As yet we don't have a tow vehicle, but hoping a 1/2 ton will be adequate for the 7774 GVW rating.

In terms of documentation, I was looking for electrical schematics, but they don't seem to exist. Also maintenance locations for the water pump, water heater bypass etc will just be a discovery process, unless there is a diagram somewhere.

Also, I was curious how Crossroads determines their model numbers. We got the 25RB, but the model on the vehicle says "ZT-250-RB." Is that related to options (it has the polar package etc)?

Anyway, I will be looking through the posts for information and pass along any experiences that might help too.

Thanks!
sammyjenkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Congrats on the new trailer!!

You would be well matched with most any 1/2 pickup and that unit. Model number doesn't mean much. If you have already taken delivery, then I assume the dealer did a crappy PDI.

Look around and you will find most of the access points. It is a good bet water pump is behind the plywood divider under the stove. It may also be right by water heater...the blank panel under the pantry/storage just behind the fridge should come off and you can access water heater and related valves.

Ask if anything else comes up - this forum is the best!
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyjenkis View Post
Hi folks-
I was happy to find this group as we just upgraded from a pop-up to the Zinger. As yet we don't have a tow vehicle, but hoping a 1/2 ton will be adequate for the 7774 GVW rating.

In terms of documentation, I was looking for electrical schematics, but they don't seem to exist. Also maintenance locations for the water pump, water heater bypass etc will just be a discovery process, unless there is a diagram somewhere.

Also, I was curious how Crossroads determines their model numbers. We got the 25RB, but the model on the vehicle says "ZT-250-RB." Is that related to options (it has the polar package etc)?

Anyway, I will be looking through the posts for information and pass along any experiences that might help too.

Thanks!
ZT means Zinger trailer 250 means the amount of square footage in the unit.. RB did mean rear bath
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Good luck with your new Zinger ...and welcome to the forum. I've had good luck towing with my Ford Ecoboost. Should be more that adequate for you. Just make sure on any TV you check the amount of weight you can load into the TV. Stay within that and you'll be fine.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

welcome and congrats on the new zinger. As mark eluded to, you need to pay attention to all capacities of the truck you get. make sure you get the towing package and go as big as you can.... my TT also has a 7700 gvwr, it currently weighs 7000 lbs and has a loaded tongue weight of close to 1000 lbs. there are certainly 1/2 tons that can handle this but not all half tons can do it. look for higher payloads (upwards of 1500 lbs on the door jamb sticker). The ford ecoboost can do it but check that number, the ecoboost at the auto show yesterday only had an 1100 lb available payload (mark, I'm betting yours is higher than that particular one). the tundra at the autos how had a 1400 lb available payload. the big payload winners there were the Chevy and ram with 1500 lb payloads. enjoy your new zinger and happy hunting on the new truck.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
Site Team

Yeah, I believe my Ecoboost is rated for about 2310 lbs, with the heavy duty payload package. GCWR 17200.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 02-17-2014, 06:35 AM   #7
Site Team

A person has to be careful, just because it says Eco-Boost on the side, doesn't necessarily mean it has a high tow/hauling capacity. It all is determined by what packages it comes with.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
A person has to be careful, just because it says Eco-Boost on the side, doesn't necessarily mean it has a high tow/hauling capacity. It all is determined by what packages it comes with.
exactly my point. that is true for any truck including the 3/4 and 1 tons. I learned that lesson the hard way.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 02-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #9
Site Team

This is from Ford's web site:

"3.5L V6 EcoBoost Engine
Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as Regular with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.
Premium fuel will provide improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such as trailer tow."

That means, at least around here, that the fuel will cost as much, if not more, than diesel, and it won't get as good fuel economy.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Zinger.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
New Camper

Thanks Folks!

The particular Zinger I have is Dry Weght of 6191 and GVW of 7774. We will be doing considerable camping in the mountains of Colorado and I'm now wondering if the 1/2 tons are up to the task.
Thoughts?
sammyjenkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

It all depends on the half ton. Honestly though if it were me and I was looking at considerable mountain towing, I would go diesel. 3/4 ton diesel is plenty and more but coming down those grades you will be glad to have the engine control a diesel offers. Now that I have had a diesel I'm finding it really hard to part with and am probably going yo make some sacrifices to go diesel again when we trade the f250 this year. Understand though that a diesel us not only more expensive to buy, it is more expensive to maintain and repair than a gasser. Is diesel necessary for that weight? No but you won't regret having it. If you go 3/4 ton gasser make sure you get a 4.10 rear. Just like the 1/2 tons watch the payload as all trucks have payload limitations and there are some weak 3/4 tons out there.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 02-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #13
Site Team

Disagree anaro. with the weight stated the 1/2 ton, at least the EB Ford, would be more than adequate.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Mark- to be fair, I didn't say it couldn't but with the amount of mountains they are talking I said they would appreciate the diesel on the downhill. Having been in an underpowered situation before that resulted in my tt pushing my armada down the mountain there in VA , I will go for overkill every time now.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 02-19-2014, 10:31 PM   #15
Site Team

I know u like your diesel but the new 1/2 tons are capable of a lot more than many will admit. Referring to them as 1/2 tons is not applicable anymore, some are just as capable as the older 3/4 tons.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:18 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Mark go back and reread my post I said it depended on the half ton as to whether or not a half ton would do it. I also said if it were me I would get the diesel to help control the tt coming down the mountain. I know you have done well with your ecoboost and I have often told people to get the ecoboost but to just double check their specs before buying.

Have you ever been in a situation with any tow vehicle where you didn't have enough engine to help slow the tt coming down the mountain resulting in the need to use brakes too much? I have (and this was with stopping at the top of the mountain in a pull out and going slow down the mountain as well as attempting to use the engine to hold the tt back). I have been driving horse trailers since I was 16 and never experienced anything like that. I will never experience it again either if I can avoid it. The key is not can you pull it, the key is can you stop it and control it. I never fully understood that statement until that day. Coming down that same pass with the diesel, I used my brakes once maybe twice, the engine did all the work for me. Remember this tt is 7000 lbs loaded, the armada was rated to tow 9100 lbs (although in retrospect the payload would have limited it to closer to 6000 lbs). My diesel, due to a payload restriction is only capable of approx 9500 lbs although it is technically rated for 12,500 lbs. No issues towing now. Mark, I know you have towed your combo up that same pass but not down it. Try coming down it to the campground for the rally this year and then we can discuss it more.

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 02-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #17
Site Team

No argument from me. That's one of the reasons I got the Roadmaster Active Suspension along with the EBC yellowstuff brake pads. Rotors are on order.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

OK guys...we all have our opinions. Important thing is to make sure 1/2 or 3/4 ton is properly equipped.

Hey - snow is melting...hopefully soon we can ALL get out to enjoy our Zingers (and others)!
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #19
Site Team

Old 02-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS