Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Added 2nd A/C

Finally decided it was time to move ahead with a 2nd A/C. Ordered a Dometic Penguin II configured to work with the CCC2, but non-ducted and it arrived a week ago. Pulled the Cruiser outside and cleaned the roof around the vent. Used a ratchet hoist attached to the garage purlin to lift the A/C about 13 ft. Then slowly backed the Cruiser under it. After removing the vent and cleaning putty and lap sealant as much as possible, I installed 2 inch strips of rubber roof patch to seal the screw holes and create a clean surface for the A/C gasket to seal against.

Inside work was more than expected, CR didn't cut the ceiling opening large enough for the inside bracket. In addition, they installed a wood box, but over the top of the hex head truss screws, so it also made the opening too small. The 120 V junction box was too close and interfered with the inside grill, so I had to cut the ceiling panel and move it away about 1/2 inch. I also changed to a residential type box since the CR installed box was not designed to accept the stranded copper pigtail on the A/C unit.

Dometic's instructions left a little to be desired as well since they left out one step on how to reset the CCC2 to 'see' the 2nd A/C and wiring for the RC11 connector seemed backwards. But I finally figured it out with trial and error and the system is now fully functional.

One more minor problem was the inside grill. CR located the front vent right where the roof sloped toward the front, but the inside grill extends about 6 inches forward of the vent opening. Fortunately, the grill has enough flex to conform to the slope change. I spent a lot more time on the install than any dealer would have done and know it was done right, including sealing gaps around the vent opening to prevent pulling return air from the attic.

A quick measurement shows a 3-1/2 inch increase in trailer height, but that will drop to 2-1/2 inches or less hooked to the truck.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
Finally decided it was time to move ahead with a 2nd A/C. Ordered a Dometic Penguin II configured to work with the CCC2, but non-ducted and it arrived a week ago. Pulled the Cruiser outside and cleaned the roof around the vent. Used a ratchet hoist attached to the garage purlin to lift the A/C about 13 ft. Then slowly backed the Cruiser under it. After removing the vent and cleaning putty and lap sealant as much as possible, I installed 2 inch strips of rubber roof patch to seal the screw holes and create a clean surface for the A/C gasket to seal against.

Inside work was more than expected, CR didn't cut the ceiling opening large enough for the inside bracket. In addition, they installed a wood box, but over the top of the hex head truss screws, so it also made the opening too small. The 120 V junction box was too close and interfered with the inside grill, so I had to cut the ceiling panel and move it away about 1/2 inch. I also changed to a residential type box since the CR installed box was not designed to accept the stranded copper pigtail on the A/C unit.

Dometic's instructions left a little to be desired as well since they left out one step on how to reset the CCC2 to 'see' the 2nd A/C and wiring for the RC11 connector seemed backwards. But I finally figured it out with trial and error and the system is now fully functional.

One more minor problem was the inside grill. CR located the front vent right where the roof sloped toward the front, but the inside grill extends about 6 inches forward of the vent opening. Fortunately, the grill has enough flex to conform to the slope change. I spent a lot more time on the install than any dealer would have done and know it was done right, including sealing gaps around the vent opening to prevent pulling return air from the attic.

A quick measurement shows a 3-1/2 inch increase in trailer height, but that will drop to 2-1/2 inches or less hooked to the truck.
I had the dealer install one of those as part of the deal on my trailer. Maybe I need to remove the inside grill and make sure all was done correctly. One thing I did find was that a vent was pointing at the temperature sensor on the wall. It caused short cycling. I packed foam rubber inside the sensor holder to insulate it and all is well.

I just have one question. If the trailer is 3.5" taller because you added the height of the ac how is that height going to go down to 2.5" taller unless you figure the 100 lbs is going to sit the truck an inch lower???
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif View Post
I just have one question. If the trailer is 3.5" taller because you added the height of the ac how is that height going to go down to 2.5" taller unless you figure the 100 lbs is going to sit the truck an inch lower???
I made the measurements while un-hooked, so the Cruiser was parked nose high. It will drop at least 1 inch when I hook up. Make sense?

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 04-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

2nd A/C

Larry,
You are going to like the extra cooling in our Texas heat. I put a 2nd AC on last year. The first time out, when we got to the campground, it was an even 100° in the trailer. With both AC's running, it was at 72° in 15 minutes. Can't run both at night or it will freeze us out. BTW, I put in a 13.5K unit. By the way, Happy Birthday!!!

Paul & Pam
'14 Bay Hill 340RK
'12 Ram 3500
Jazz & Allee
PMSPKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Guys, when posting these mods - how about some pics - before - during install and after??????

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:18 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
I made the measurements while un-hooked, so the Cruiser was parked nose high. It will drop at least 1 inch when I hook up. Make sense?
I don't know how you made your initial height measurements but I made mine while hooked up, parked doesn't matter, no low bridges encountered. The AC is 9.5" tall per Dometic so add 9.5" to your roof height, hooked up, and what do you have?
Old 04-25-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I was wondering how a 9" thing only added 3" to your height ?

I must have gone to a different math class than you

then I re-read about it being on the slope - ok - now I get it !

There is NEVER enough a/c in Texas in the summer - why we go north for camping in the summer...
Old 04-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif View Post
I don't know how you made your initial height measurements but I made mine while hooked up, parked doesn't matter, no low bridges encountered. The AC is 9.5" tall per Dometic so add 9.5" to your roof height, hooked up, and what do you have?
Adding 9.5 inches is not the right number as there are other objects that stick up higher than the roof surface that the A/C is sitting on. For sure, the shower dome and vent stacks and frequently the rear A/C depending on it's location on the rear sloping roof. My main A/C is on the sloped part of the roof, but pretty far forward and therefore with a 12 inch height, it was the high point.

Just verified the numbers hooked up. I used a laser level and a 25 ft. tape measure, and with the slides pulled in, I checked both street and curb sides. Top of the rear A/C was 144-1/2 inch. Top of the front A/C is now the high point at 147 inches.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 04-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Maybe this pic will help, taken at roof top level. Top of the rear A/C is just visible behind the I beam and purlin. From this distance, it would be hard to visualize that the new A/C is any higher than the factory unit. But it certainly doesn't add 9.5 inches to overall height.

And the inside grill.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 04-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

That's the kind we had in our previous 5'ers bedroom....
worked great but was LOUD ---
which was actually ok since it drowned out all outside noisesand let us sleep like the babies we are
Old 04-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Thanks Larry, that cleared it up. With the picture it all made sense. Sometimes my hard head needs a gentle nudge with a 2x4 to operate correctly....