Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
New Camper

we have a 2006 cf 29 ck and we found broken frame welds on both frame rails. the welds areabove where theaft spring shackel is welded to the frame rail for the rear axle.we have pictures however we do not know how to post them here. we do tow a small trailer behind our 5th wheel. we ended up having the area fixed by a welder that does a lot of trailer framerepairs.so you might want to take a look at your frame. If you would like to see the pictures we can send them to you via email.

mailto:msjopo@yahoo.comEdited by: saved 1
saved 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

is your trailer designed to tow a trailer? how is the hitch on your trailer mounted? how much does your second trailer weigh? i dont think crossroads makes a double tow trailer anymore.i see this is your first post so...welcome to this forum.lots of good people here.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Hi saved1,
I had the same problem with my CF29CK 2006.
As I was pulling into a C.G at 3MPH the rear left wheel fell from the Axle, I will try to add a picture (hope it works), it seems that the welding was not completed.
I was lucky it happened where it did and not on the hwy.
All the repairs were taken care by the axle manufacturer although I was out of warranty (but not without a fight).
http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/p...a/IMG_8580.jpg

CF29CK 2006

F-350 2006

https://danyshula.blogspot.com//
danyshula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
New Camper

spinella, thansk for the warm welcome. when we were buying our crossroads the dealer we were going through told usit was ok toput a hitch on the back of thetrailer and tow a small trailer.even in the cf29ck information it said you could put a hitch on the back of the trailerwith the frame builders ok.our dealer said they did it all the time.needless to saythis is notthe case.the welder said they see weld failures all the time andthis failure was probably from making sharp turns and flexing the rear axle and the weldsthat failed were done on the inside of the Ibeam and looked incomplete andwere rusted.the welder also saidthey are repairing more and more frames andthe majority seem to be from one mfg.with such a short frame warranty this could become an issue for many to deal with.the main reason i brought this up is for safety reasons. thanks again.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:47 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I don't normally reply to such comments, but this has to be one of my pet peeves.

I well remember some few years back when the DW and I were looking at 5vers and happened to stumble into a conversation that a salesperson was having with a lesser experienced couple trying to decide on a 5ver.

His remarks of "Well sir, you can pull anything on this lot with that mighty fine looking 1/4 ton super heavy duty 4.0 liter engine, evenone of those three axle 15k units"

Moral of the story, the sales folks at a majority of the dealerships will sell their soul to the devil just to make a sale. They are going to tell you what you want to hear, be it 1/2 right or dead wrong.

In all the literature that I have and was able to obtain prior to purchasing our unit, Crossroads made it explicitly clear that towing anything behind their units was not approvedand would void the warranty.

I don't know about the 08's and 09's, but when you look at the physics of "push-pull, tug and jerk", the bumper assemblies being used on these units simply won't hold up.
greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:04 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

There is only one trailer that I know of anyway, that was made to double pull, and advertised to do so, that was the Cruiser Sport, it actually came from the factory with a receiver hitch already added to the frame. But, they no longer make the sport model.

2006 Dodge 5.9L CTD

2007 HitchHiker II LS 29.5 FKTG

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...G_0955-1-1.jpg
markbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:10 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
On CR website they have triple tow trailers and cruiser is listed.

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/about/type_3t.asp

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:23 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

WOW!! They still do make the sport model, they just don't call it the sport anymore! RF25RL is the Cruiser Sport I had, and there it is big as life!

2006 Dodge 5.9L CTD

2007 HitchHiker II LS 29.5 FKTG

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...G_0955-1-1.jpg
markbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:35 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
Amazing what you can find outside of this forum!!

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:34 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

The link GeorgeG sent sums it up�looks like most CRs can handle it but it’s only legal in about half the states. I looked into this after reading a thread from the 08 Cruiser forum... after Googling for my state laws I came across the site below. I am not sure how old the site is but it has some other usefultowing laws by state�like triple towing, max length, towing specifc speed limits and even where it is legal to ride in a FW (although I would never do it)�<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Here is the link to the 08 thread�some of the posts haveuseful links to hitches.

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum%5F2008/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5103&amp;whichpage=1

2003 F250 PSD

Central Jersey
JerseyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:40 AM   #11
New Camper

if you are going to inspect your framewhere the welds failed on our trailer you need to look at the area just above where the rear axle, (rear spring shackel) is welded to the bottom of theIbeam on the outside of the Ibeam. approx 1.5 to 2.0 inches above the bottom of the Ibeam. we noticeda very faint line in the paint that turned out to be the failed welds.as for towing a small trailer behind it is odd that many peopleknow ofdealersauthouizinga tow hitch install when the mfg states absolutely not. it leaves the customer with a very negative viewof the dealer and the mfg.this is our first 5th wheel trailer and i can honestly say it has not beena confidence building experience for us.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

hang in there. i think you can and will have problems with any trailer. the difference is cross roads will stand behind their product. they have very good service any many people on this forum will say the same thing. i would take it up with your dealer for telling you that you can tow a trailer behind your trailer.also maybe contact crossroads about your dealer.good luck and thanks for the heads up on the welds.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
New Camper

concerning crossroads i do not feel they lied to us, however the informationthey posted did lead us to believe you could install a hitch on the trailer. for the most part crossroads hasbeen greatwith other issueswe have had with the trailer. we have moved far away from the dealer thatlied to us about the hitch on a cruiser so going back to them is not an option.we are not trying to bash anyone. we just want others to be aware of the issue with theproblem welds we found.thanks
Old 01-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

It would be good if you can post the pictures showing exactly where the broken welds are since you indicate they are not actually at the spring hangers, but above them. Are you talking about the triangular outriggers that extend from the frame to the exterior wall? Each outrigger has a bolt at it's outer tip that secures the coach body to the frame.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:56 AM   #15
New Camper

no not the outriggers.between theIbeams they have truss type reinforcements welded (across to the other Ibeam) on the lower reincorcement in the above noted area the welds failed on each side of the Ibeam.when we pulled the apron down it was easy to seerust from roadwater being sprayed from the tires and going inbetween the topof the Ibeam and the bottom of the trailer floor. once we looked at the welds you could see where the weldhad not beencompleted and the water had rusted the welds.if we ever figure out how to post the pictures wewill.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Thanks for your clarification. Was the crossmember one that supports the holding tank? Or one that is purely for rigidity? I know on my cf29rk one of the holding tank crossmembers is welded to the I beams, but the other is installed with screws into the I beams so that the tank can be removed. I agree with your observation about how rain water gets into the basement area, there is a small gap between the top of the I beam and the bottom plastic of the main floor.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #17
New Camper

the crossmember was even with the rear axle rear spring perch/mount that is welded onto the frame. probably the exact same type of support justapprox 4 feet fwd of the area you mentioned. hope this helps.