Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

4 Days until WI to Mt. Rushmore trip...

And the truck (my daily driver) out of the blue starts stalling at stoplights on the way home from work and is throwing codes.

Sigh...

I guess the bright side is that it gave me enough time to get it to the shop before going on the trip. But I have to laugh at the (cosmic?) timing of it all. We've been planning this trip for a year. 2 families, 9 people in total going on this trip, and my truck acts up the week leading up to the trip. hahahaha

Good stuff. But it's in the shop, they say they know what the problem is and the part is on order.. should be replaced today yet.

-Mike
datasponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Where you staying? We loved the KOA out there.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

We are staying at Rafter J Bar. I read the reviews on all the places around - sounds like there a lot of nice places, and it almost came down to flipping a coin. We're excited and keeping our fingers crossed!
Old 07-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

We stayed at the KOA a couple years back. We loved it!
tramguage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Nice rig..exactly what I have, both TT and Truck.
Ford F-150 Twin Turbo, Max Towing Package
exposurecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Let us know how it goes. I am looking forward to your trip too.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Trip to Rushmore - party of 9 - was awesome!

We all made it back in one piece.
9 of us (4 adults with 5 children between ages 6 and 10) slept in our 270BH, and it worked out great. We did book an adjacent campsite and put a tent up as an overflow/placeto change for the other family, which helped a bit. We weren't all ready to just change in front of each other.

Rafter J Bar is a great campground. I would recommend it to anyone. It's just a beautiful setting. We did feel that our children were a bit noisy for the place, though, and maybe they'd have blended in better at the Mt. Rushmore KOA. But the kids loved the place. We loved the place. There are definitely places that are more 'interactive' with activities, but that's not what we were looking for and so it wasn't an issue. But I mention it for anyone who likes planned activities at a campground.

Onto more technical things. I weighed the trailer just about every way possible, and I was really surprised to find out that my tongue weight was 1000lbs! I think I'm going to invest in my own tongue weight scale for the future. The trailer itself was only about 800lbs over the stated weight from the factory, and that weight certainly wasn't all toward the tongue. I'm not sure that that's correct, but I didn't really have a lot of time to make sure it was truly just measuring the tongue - though I really don't know how it couldn't be right.. sigh.. that's a lot of tongue weight, so packing may just be a tricky thing with this trailer.

We did make a few modifications before we left for the trip. We changed out the bathroom door knob to one with a lock and we changed out the bathroom faucet to one that you could actually fit your hands under to have running water flow over them. We also put up some hooks here and there for sweatshirts and such.

And, of course, the trailer towed very well. I have a 2010 F150 5.4L, crew cab, long bed with the max tow package and an equalizer hitch. The setup combined is great. Though, those winds hitting us after crossing the Missouri River going west did very unkind things to my MPGs. The trip east back home was much better. Another trailer-towing gentleman at one of the many gas stations we stopped at assured me that his chevy was getting just about the same, and he his trailer was quite a bit smaller and he was nowhere near as loaded down as we were. That wind was brutal. So it felt like a bit of a moral victory.

I won't review the tourist attraction (we went to Rushmore day and night, Custer State Park, Needles highway, 1880 train, gold panning at Wade's, Mammoth dig site), because there's plenty out there for that already. They were all great...though round trip on the 1880 train did feel a bit long for our tastes.

I really just wanted to share that the 270BH performed flawlessly for us - well, with the exception of one of the 'bedroom' privacy 'doors' coming off the guide at the top due to one of the kids being a little aggressive/careless. But I was able to pop it back in with a flat-head screw driver.

So far so good with our Sunset Trail 270BH!!
Old 08-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Good Read. Thanks for sharing. Happy your trip went well and safe.

2014 - 47 Nights - 1445.8 miles.
2013 - 44 Nights -
2154.8 miles.

ZT211RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

It's great that you had a good trip. We are planning our trip out there for next year and we can't wait. We are planning to take an entire month off. I'm going to check out that campground online. Thanks.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote