Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

NGV Control Panel/Propane

Hey Folks! This weekend we were having trouble getting the hot water heater to ignite on propane. It wasn't even tick-tick-ticking and trying to light. We noticed on the control panel (where you can check the levels of all your tanks and the battery) that there was a red light on that read "DSI-FLT". This only seemed to light up after we had the propane water heater button on for a couple of minutes, and it went out as soon as we turned the propane water heater off.

And ideas?? The water heater worked just fine on electric, so no biggie. And the propane was working otherwise - we used the oven, outside kitchen burners, and the grill. We did have to do a little finagling when we got there with the propane. We think one of our two tanks must have been empty...but it wasn't the one we thought it should have been. At any rate, we figured that all out and the propane system seemed fine after that.

Would love to figure this out without making the hour trip to the dealer.

Thanks much,
Amy
Edge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
Site Team

I believe that light means Direct Spark Igniter - FauLT. I think it means the igniter for the hot water heater has failed.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks, Davis. That makes total sense. We would not have any idea how to repair/replace the igniter, so we'll wait until after our next trip (when we'll have a long break) and take it into the dealer. It's under warranty. And at any rate, I would be afraid to mess with anything having to do with the propane. Little too risky for me.

Thanks again!
Old 09-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

If the igniter doesnt lite after a few trys it will show that fault lite untill you turn it off and back on. If you turn on the switch on the control panel with the gas off it will cause that fault
tramguage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

True! Just to be sure, we'll top off both propane tanks and give it another try on our next trip in October. After that - taking it in.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge2 View Post
True! Just to be sure, we'll top off both propane tanks and give it another try on our next trip in October. After that - taking it in.

Thanks!
While it is unlikely since it was working in the recent past, you may have air in the propane line going to the water heater. I don't have the manual in front of me for Atwood, but I believe if you wait and let the system reset and try it again, it may light. You may have to go through the cycle a couple times. If you google the fault, you can see there are quite a few threads in other online forums.

Just trying to brainstorm what could be going on and save you a trip to the dealer.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote