Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have don the search but didn't find anyone telling about installing a cieling fan in their Cruiser. Does anyone know if it can be done in a CF28RL. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2005 GMC 2500HD D/M crew cab
towhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

If you put one near the air conditioner you can tap into it's wires.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks, cwit, for the reply. To be more specific though, what I had in mind was to install a 12v RV ceiling fan where the center ceiling light is, and wondering if there is enough support up there for it.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:27 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I had a Maxxfan installed in the bunkhouse. You can install a power fan in any standard 14" x 14" opening where an existing vent is located. I have a second Maxxfan I plan to install myself in the bedroom. It is quite simple. Just be sure to use the correct sealant on the rubber roof. Follow this link : for a video showing just how easy it is. While the video is Maxxfan specific the basics are the same for all vent fans. I had thought running 12 volt power to the fan would be difficult but it is not.

The Maxxfan I purchased (same one as in the video) has a remote control and can also be set to work automatically via the built in thermostat. It can also be used as a ceiling fan with the lid closed, a Maxxfan exclusive.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to Wontontr
If you use an existing vent hole should not be a problem. Just have to run a wire through the ceiling to an overhead light. There is probably one nearby, but remember the light switchwill have to be on to run fan. I put one in my previous camper, is not really that difficult. Remove trim from inside, then removescrewsand vent from roof. Install new vent from roof (make certain to seal properly), connect electric inside and add trim.Use the one with the remote control so you won't have to use a ladder toreach the fan controls.

I think it would be difficult to add a new hole, as you would have to reframe the roof for the fan opening,probably tearing downpart of the ceiling- and you are looking at metal not wood framing. The 12v fans are powerful enough to vent your camper no matter where they are located in ceiling.
Wontontr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Again, thanks guys for the reply's. However, the ceiling fan that I am referring to is the type of fan that is similer to those found in a stick house. The kind that has four blades that go round and round and blow air down from the ceiling.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Oh, THAT kind of ceiling fan! We have one, factory installed so I cannot help.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Mine is factory installed, but it is in the high part of the ceiling between the kitchen skylight and the third lite. If you can put it in that area you could tap the power from the lite. Also you might be able to remove the lower part of the roof vent and look for the closest roof rafter to mount the fan.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

I bought an electrial box made for fans and installed that. You can find the studs by measuring from your vent opening cut hole for box, expand rods to go from rafter to rafter.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote