Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Heading to Mill Creek, MI. in July. Coming thru Chicago than North, any stops or CG's I shouldn't miss. I have a few days either up or back and am looking for ideas. I think this has been hit before but I couldn't find it.

Tom
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Indiana Dunes State park is beautiful.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Assuming you will be taking I-196 -> I-96 -> US-131 -> M-55 -> US27 -> I-75 for the Michigan leg of the trip. Â*If so and if you like Lake Michigan then Holland State Park in Holland, MI is quite nice. Â*There is a new RV Resort Park in South Haven that I'll be checking out over the 4th of July. Not far away isÂ*Saugatuck. A unique port town that should not be missed. Â*

Gaylord is an interesting community that offers Big Buck Brewery as a northern Michigan attraction. Â* The Lake Michigan lakeshore communities are interesting and unique.

If you like a slow and more scenic drive, coming back you might consider I-75 -> US-131 -> US-31 -> I-196. Â*Nice KOA campground in Petoskey and a wonderful place to visit. Â*Harbor Springs to the north with a 1/2 day to drive the tunnel of trees (M-22 going from memory and not looking at the maps). Â* Charlevoix is to the south and has a quaint downtown. Â*Young State park is within easy driving distance from Petoskey and another nice campground. Â*

Traverse City is a renowned northern Michigan tourist mecca. Â*A day can be spent there in the Old Mission Peninsula seeing the sites and wine tasting. Â*Too much to see and do to list. Â*Within an easy drive of Sleeping Bear Dunes with the beautiful Pierce Stocking Drive which offers stunning scenery and vistas in a long 7 mile drive. Â*Of course the dunes are pretty special as well. Â*I think the Airstream park is called Holiday Campground near US131/US31 intersection. Â*This is a nice campground. Â*Platt River campground in Sleeping Bear Dunes is also quite nice but just about impossible to get into. Â*Traverse City State Park has enormous camping spaces, a nice walk for your dogs and a bridge to a beach on Lake Michigan.

PJ Hoffmaster State Park in Muskegon is one of our favorites, but the hike to Lake Michigan is not the easiest. Â*Grand Haven State Park in Grand Haven has camp sites adjacent to the beach
Â*on Lake Michigan.

Lots to do, more on the east side of the state that I didn't mention. Â*If you end up staying near Grand Rapids/Holland let us know & I'm sure we can find some place for a cold one.

Edited by: papa2

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

We camped at Sleeping Bear Dunes, however made reservations ahead of time. We like the NP close to Lake Michigan. Lots of hiking sand dunes, history.Traverse city is nice skip their Cherry Festival thou, it's not what they say it is. Skip Van Burren State Park .They policeit very well& seem to sneak up on you out of no where. When quiet time comes they mean it. Lots of racoons too! We had gone blue berry picking during the day & our cooler was raided by them at night,taking all of my pickings. I'm sure they enjoyed them, as I had my pancakes in the morning without the berries. Lesson to be learned. Karen
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

AL

Grand Haven looked incredible BUT......no alcohol ? ? ? ? ?

How strict are they ?

I was in NC over Easter and the Rangers came around checking coolers as I was setting up camp. I was wondering if they were going to come in and check my Fridge. I had the usual 6 pak, tequila, vodka and 1/2 gal of Tankeray. Maybe the night before it was loud, or....

I've never seen anyone do that there before....but feelings of paranoia (ala 60's) return !

Tom
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

The "no alcohol" disease has spread from the east side of the state to the west side. Â*If you camp there and consume..

Â*Â* Do not be conspicious ... keep your beverage disguised if out of the Cruiser
Â*Â* When I got caught with a beer the ranger made me dump a case of Lablatts ... or pay a fine. Â*My brother-in-law got caught, had to dump his beer and was fined. Â*

Last year this was not an issue up north, but the disease seems to be contagious. Â*If you end up staying in Grand Haven and have time for company let us know. Â*It's only 45 minutes from our home.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I really will try to stay out of Michgan campgrounds, that would really be upsetting to have the DNR going through coolers for booze. Thanks for the warning. Karen
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:02 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnan23
Indiana Dunes State park is beautiful.

This is so true.
Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:15 AM   #9
Site Team

Is that part of, or in the same area as KohlerAndrae?

Edited by: Old Farmer
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:31 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer

Is that part of, or in the same area as KohlerAndrae?
No, Kohle Andrae is near Sheboygan, WI.
Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:02 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

If you're coming around Chicago, avoid the Portage, Indiana Jellystone. Not exactly a stellar place to stay. We spent 2 nights there that seemed like a week, no power, bad roads (or normal Indiana potholes and flooded), and only one shower-house working.

Not my usual experience with Jellystone by any means.

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote