Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
New Camper

Planning for the future

Looking for a 5th to full time in when I retire. Went to a show and liked the crossroads. Really like the Rezerve RFZ28RL. Has all I want. Question is. Is it a rig that will be a good full time rig? I'm a nube be kind.
Dso66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

If you have never owned an RV, then you may have to buy several before you settle on what you want. You will probably end up trading up to something else.

After the issues of what you can afford and what you can tow are dealt with, it usually comes down to floor plan. You have to decide what would work best for you.

A 5th wheel is better for full time as it has more underneath storage than a tag along.

Go to RV shows, sit in the units, imagine yourself living in it.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree, in many cases, a used unit may be the best choice. You will learn a lot in the first 12-18 months and your "needs" will probably change. Also, buy used from a private seller if you can. Dealer trades get very little attention and frequently go out the door with whatever problems they had to begin with. A private seller really knows the rig. If you like the Rezerve floor plan you may be able to find one used.

If you do buy new, some dealers use inflated prices to then claim big savings. I'll send you a useful link via Private Message. As for the 28RL floor plan, it is ok, but if you end up watching a lot of TV, then having the recliners directly opposite the TV is better. Also, a coat closet near the door is desirable, but missing on many floor plans.

Finally, if your full time plans have you staying in hot or cold weather, then dual pane windows and upgraded insulation become important. RVs are not insulated like a house and can become uncomfortable. If you are traveling to avoid bad weather, then any RV will work.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dso66 View Post
Looking for a 5th to full time in when I retire. Went to a show and liked the crossroads. Really like the Rezerve RFZ28RL. Has all I want. Question is. Is it a rig that will be a good full time rig? I'm a nube be kind.

You were given some pretty good advise by the previous posters.
I will add---don't get in a big hurry to run out and plunk your money down on a new rig. There will be new rigs out there after we are all gone.

Not knowing exactly what you consider "full time" I don't know if the unit you are looking at would fall into that class or not.

I have seen people wanting to go full time in the past when we use to winter in AZ.
One particular one that comes to mind had purchased a used class c to try it out first. (Before jumping in with both feet) By the time winter was about over, they had decided that wasn't the life style they had envisioned, or wanted. They went back home happy they hadn't sold the stick built and sold the class c.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote