Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Is it just my imagination or has there been an increase in negative posts lately. I know I am no expert but I pay close attention to the forum as I am now an owner. Seems to be anyone with more than a few months on the forum has only good things to say but "newer" members seem to have real problems with the crossroads units, dealers and crossroads themselves.
I had thought this forum was for questions, answers and follow-ups to problems not just rants which there seems to be a lot of. They seem to slam the product for a couple of posts and then provide no solution or follow-up as to the outcome which would be very helpful.
I am concerned as I have purchased my unit based on research and posts in this forum when all were positive. I guess time will tell and I will be sure to post all problem, solutions, follow-up as well as positive feedback about my unit.

Ian

Home is where the hookup is.
2012 ST25RB Reserve tailgating a 2011 Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Roadie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I think unhappy people tend to be more vocal. I am on other camping forums and see negative posters come in, post a tirade about xyz product or dealer and then run away. I don't take a lot of stock in people who only post once. I do however try to help them. If they continue to try suggestions or have had other normal posts, I tend to believe them more. The problem is they give a lot of negative publicity to a product and it may or may not be deserved. I don't think that the forum should be all sunshine and daisies, it should be an honest representation of the product and a place to get help and make some friends. For the most part, that is what this site is. I do like the fact that most on here try to help these people rather than berate them. That speaks a lot for the followers of crossroads products. I for one bought my Zinger due to the wonderful, positive customer service posts I read on these forums.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

As Anaro says, I take some of the real negative posts with a grain of salt. One thing to remember, "how well do they handle the driving, and how well do they care for everything." I asked my dealer and some other veteran campers about how to handle a 33' unit. They told me a safe speed would be between 60-62. I have found 60 to be perfect and my car doesn't go into overdrive. I am very careful on bumpy roads and I drive into campgrounds at a crawl. So, if someone who is a newbie like me goes out and roars down the road at 70 and isn't too careful about the bumps and dips, well, what do you think might happen to the unit? The laws of physics apply and the faster you go, the more they apply. I am not knocking anyone either, but if I had the problems some of these people had I would be heading back to Topeka in a heartbeat. I have only had two problems, knock on wood, and they were both resolved quickly. The people who say they call and never get called back leave me to wonder. As Anaro also stated, seems these people only have their units a week or two and they are kaput. Makes me wonder if it isn't someone trying to cast aspersions. I'm not saying they aren't real owners, but we have no way of checking that out do we? So, I take everything with a grain of salt and the more anger that comes out the more I doubt things. JMHO.

Thanks for listening,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

There have been an increase in quality issues on the forum lately and some warranty issues as well. I think,,,, I know Crossroads has some internal issues that have caused some of this and I hope they get things turned around for the sake of the company and the owners. We are on our second Crossroads unit and probably our last one. Our first unit was a good one, we never had an issue with it but the one we have now has spent more time in the shop than on the road. We go pick it up in the morning after issues from our last trip. This trailer has a lot to do with our decision to not buy another Crossroads product but the changes that have been made within the company play a big part in that as well. The people that helped build this company to be one of the best in the industry are all gone and the management team in place are the same ones that ran Carriage. Where is Carriage now? It appears to me and others on this forum that cost cutting measures are effecting quality and if they do not turn this around soon what is going to happen to Crossroads? I will not say all I know and that is just my opinion for what it is worth. I have been around here a long time and seen many changes but this one has hurt Crossroads.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Well said Hunter11. We are on our second Crossroads product and have had good luck with both. I think some of the personnel changes have caused things to get a little confusing. I also think some of the componenet changes have caused problems, namely a lot of issues with the Swintek slides. Very difficult to keep two motors in sync in a product that gets bounced down some rough roads. I for one am glad I have the old style slide actuators.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quality workmanshipis definitely an issue with our CF335. We bought it December 7, 2010 and used it three days and took it back to the dealer for repair (kitchen slide would not retract correctly). Camped in it 174 nights in 2011 and 100 so far this year, and it has spent 198 days at the dealers and it is currently at a non-Crossroads dealer for major repair (the kitchen and mainslides have to be removed for flooring repair and the ceiling panels have to be pulled down and re-glued, replace refer fan and the converter). I have to say that even with all these problems, Crossroads has always approved the repairs and tried to make it right; up to authorizing a non-CR facility to fix the current problems. We really like the size and layout of the CF335 which is why we are hanging in there hoping everything get taken care of before the warranty expires. Only had a couple of problem with our first trailer (which was a different brand) but the dealer's service was so pathetic I swore I would never buy anything from them again.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #7
Site Team

Well worded posts, nicely stated. I have to agree with each and everyone.
I will admit tho, this forum had nothing to do with our decision to purchase our cruiser.
Height was the main factor, then the floor plan then the dealership. We have had a few problems all minor, all taken care of under warranty. I person has to expect a certain amount of problems when you hook on to an RV and start bouncing it down the road. Things will start coming undone. We have owned eight or nine RVs, and everyone of them has had a certain amount of problems, and I can't say any particular one was worse then the other.
With that being said, I am starting to be a little more concerned about what is going on within the CR facility. Way to many QC issues popping up here. I just hope they can address these things and take the appropriate action necessary to correct it so things can get back on track.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

We would have to have the statistics about sales vs the amount of issues. People tend to be more vocal on the negative side of things. That is very apparent on these boards. Only Crossroads knows how much their warranty costs have increased, if at all. I am certain that information will not be made public on this forum.
While I am not siding with Crossroads I would like to know definitively if there are really any changes in quality. I also have to agree with Keith about the direction of the company's management. Just too many changes at the top.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Roadie66 <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /></span></span>

anaro </span></span>

tator447 </span>

Hunter11 </span></span>

dalemac377 </span></span>

Sirsea </span>

Old Farmer</span></span>

artgpo
Good posts all, and some good info. However I would put forward that one should not critize until one walks in anothers shoes. By that I mean that I have a 2011 model Rushmore and it has been in the shop more than on the road or in a park, and it seems to mostly stem from quality control issues. I say mostly because I know as a novice there has to be some fault place at my doorstep and I gladly accept that. I know that man-made objects are going to break and/or wear out, and a novice RVr does not mean that I tear down the road at 70 plus mph, I in fact am probably the one that you pass wondering why I am going so slow, very rarely do I travel over 60 - 65 mph, and as one other said I try and be as careful as I can on bumpy roads and in campgrounds. I figure I paid all the money I did, not to throw it away. I don't always post negatively but do sound the board and read the board for info, and ask questions as well, in an attempt at being a resposible RVr. I have an eight page letter explaining the frustrations and issues I have had with this trailer,to all the email addys I could find @ CrossroadsRV, both praising and asking what they are going to do to correct the issues. Theirfactory Service Center is far and away the best I have ever experienced in any company I have ever dealt with, hands down. Regardless, I still have the issues, so perhaps it is not so much people bitching for the sake of bitching but expressing their frustration. There, my .02, feeling better, but still own a lemon RV .....
</span>

Travel Well / Travel Safe

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Ruck, I do feel your pain. Buying a lemon is neither fun nor reason for scorn from others.

My point is still that more people will bring forth complaints than compliments. I have done it about products in the past and will continue in the future. It is just the nature of the Internet and not an indictment of any individuals.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Ruck,
I appreciate your post, and I will readily admit I have not camped as much as you nor many on this forum. Having said that and reading other posts, I realize I may be in for some problems down the road. But, I bought my CR because of you and many others on this forum. Not the fact that there have been changes at the top. I was impressed with the people I met at the Factory and hope the were truthful and sincere with us. That's all I have to go on! My money has been spent and they have it, so now I can only fall back on and rely on the warranty, much as you have. I am happy to hear of how you have been taken care of, and it makes me feel good. I hope when all is said and done you have everything in proper working order, I love you unit.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to wincrasher
I think it goes to show you that the dealership is the most important aspect of the RV purchase. I see post after post on this forum and others about how they shopped and shopped and traveled far away to get the best deal. The huge discounting is driving quality and service on a race to the bottom. These same people then end up with all the problems and are shocked they can't get someone to put them in the front of the line "for what they paid". Also, remember these things are not tanks. They have to be built for 25% MSRP for everyone in the food chain (plus those in China) to survive, and what we get reflects that business model.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Ruck, your trailer sounds like ours. My suggestion is get yourself a good extended warranty because it is not going to get any better once your Crossroads warranty runs out.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #14
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

It's easy to get negative, when you spend a good deal of money on an rv ,only to have problems that are uncalled for. By uncalled for, I mean quality control problems ,and known defects that should have been corrected before you ever took delivery !

The two year warranty ,is bragged about as the big answer. When something goes wrong and it sits at the dealer, for two months at a time waiting for approvals and repairs, that causes people's tempers to flair.

Then you take it out again, and back to dealer for more repairs. I wonder if two years will be long enough to get the bugs out ?

And WE as customers shouldn't have to call the factory and hassle with it, the dealer should!

I like my unit but I have lost faith in it, I don't feel I can trust it.

The RV industry as a whole is sorely lacking in QUALITY. The auto industry is light years ahead.

They need to build it to run the speed limit, I saw comments about we drive too fast. No the rv is junk IF That is true!

When I get in my Peterbuilt pullin a D -6 dozer it will run the speed limit, I don't worry bout it being to hard on it.

When I pull my Rv with my pickup ,the dealer has never said now take it easy with our truck keep it about 56 mph. My main tow pickup has over 200k on it . My rv has less than 4k on it.

The RV industry needs to step up their game. These negative posters that has some crossroads cheerleaders upset may have true complaints.

Paul
Pnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #15
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

Last week we took delivery of a piece of equipment, it was the second one we purchased from the company. They are a small company that happens to be in Indiana , upon delivery we found four problems with it.

I was fully expecting to have to take it to a local shop for service. I called the company told them the problems ,asked them how they wanted to handle it?

They said we will have you a new one in two days !! I never asked for a new one. They said that unit should have never left here with those issues !
This is on a 12k purchase, they paid $500 to ship another unit, and $500 to ship the defective one back!

They were concerned about the quality of their product.

They didn't say well you have a warranty.

Paul
Old 08-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

Am I bashing crossroads? No! I just feel like there are some serious issues showing up,that need to be addressed .

I have had a long list of problems, we're they handled ? Yes VERY slowly. Many of the problems were uncalled for.

Do I like my 30 RE ? Yes ! Do I trust it ? NO. It will have to earn my trust ,hope It does or I will
Try another flavor.

Paul

Old 08-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to wincrasher

Pnr,

Sorry you don't think we are sympathetic to your problems. Complaints about RV's are just so common we can't get very excited about new postings. You are right though. The RV industry is stuck in a business model kinda like the auto industry was in the 60's and 70's. When you have to build something for 25% of MSRP, with no engineering staff really, and out of cheap plastic parts and junk sourced in China, it's not really surprising. Most dealerships are terrible with staff that you are amazed actually have the brain power to breath and crap at the same time. So there you go.

Edited by: wincrasher
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:39 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

I'm dealing with Mark Quinn at Crossroads for a pretty good size bubble in the front roof of my 09 CF32BL when traveling down the road. Like I have said in another post they are going to take care of if free of charge at the factory for which I couldn't be happier about. I think it 's awesome they will take care of this free of charge when not under warranty and I praise Crossroads for that.

The only complaint I have is that Mr. Quinn is very bad at responding back to your emails or returning phone calls. I would email him the requested info and ask for a response and wait for about 2 weeks before I try contacting him again, because I realize I'm not the only one he is dealing with, But I don't think it should take 2 weeks and 3 or 4 phone calls to finally get an answer. His response could of been done in less then 60 seconds. When I did make contact with Mark he stated they are very busy due to them fixing units at the factory again and under staffed.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:04 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

I have to agree that the negative experiences tend to be more prominent. We are fortunate, we have had nothing major with our TT. We also purchased a 5-year warranty just in case.

It does seem CR has been very responsive. My only concern (seemingly verified by a few posts) is if we do have an issue, CR has grown a bit and is trying to fill some shoes. This will certainly cause delays in response time. Hopefully, they get all the ducks in a row quickly.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

Let me start by saying that people who have bad products will tend to complain more than a happy customer and it's like that for everything.

I have a 2012 Slingshot GT29BH and my second camping season will be getting over soon.

I must say that I'm pretty dissapointed by the quality of the workmanship involved in my TT.

I have worked really hard to pay for it and I don't feel like a got my money's worth.

I was happy to see they had a 2 year warranty but now I think they did that to cover problems that could be solved at the source. They are passing the problems to the dealers.

Mine has been at the dealer for the 6th time for water infiltration around the slide out. They fix the problem and a month or 2 later the leak comes back.

I still have faith in the dealer that sold me the unit, the last technician who worked on it showed me what he has done and I hope it is now fixed. He explained to me exactly what he did. There were seals missing and sealant was not applied properly around the slideout tracks. I don't really blame my dealer for the problems I had he did not build it.

The dealer even told me that they won't sell anymore CR products because the quality is not there.

And by the way to all of you praising the excellent service when you bring back your trailler at the factory, if the technicians who are fixing defective units at the factory are so good, they should be sent back to the assenbly line so we would not need to go back there!

I know many of you love your product but as far as I'm concerned this is my first and last CR product and I may get rid of it as soon as next spring.

Sorry to be negative but as I said I really work hard for my money and I expect more than this for the price I paid.

Edited by: gadou
gadou is offline   Reply With Quote