Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #21
Weekend Camper

Well, problem is still there, so today I replaced the regulator with a brand new one. Guess what...problem is still there. I am going to try to get it in to the repairman tomorrow. I've run out of things to check.
I'll post again when it's fixed and let you know what it was (for future reference).
Cliff

cliffw42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

After thinking about all this and re-reading all the posts, I think you have a pressure or volume issue. The regulator is good (the new one) and the pressure seems to be good (your post after measuring and adjusting the older regulator) so that leaves actual volume. Could you have a pinched line under the furnace area?? A pinched/blocked line will allow pressure to build up and appear normal but when the furnace tries to draw alot of gas the flow is restricted. Maybe a flare connection was made wrong. Just a thought.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #23
Weekend Camper

It could be the excess flow valve in the propane tanks that could be limiting the flow. I've seen that happen with a grill. Shut off both tanks, disconnect the the hoses, reconnect the hoses, and turn both tanks back on. Also, if you have an automatic switch over. Flip the valve back and forth. Had one of those give me a problem just about a month ago.It appeared I was out of propane, but what really happened was the valve didn't switch over properly.

<font color=BROWN>2006 33RL Paradise Point</font>

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...amper/33rl.jpg
CamperNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:17 AM   #24
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the thoughts. I put a new tank (a full 5 gal tank from my grill, that is full) on this morning, same problem. Then, after talking to a technician at the RV repair shop, he said to replace the hoses between the tanks and the regulator. He has seen this problem caused by them (they were both new with the rig, and probable from the same batch). I did that, and fired it up. That was an hour ago. I'm going out to check it after a while. If it isn't fixed, I will take the whole rig in to him tomorrow.
If a hose was crimped, it should be consistent. What has been happening seems to go away after I let the water heater go through it's cycles a few times. (It fires up fine, burns with plenty of pressure for 15 seconds, begins fading away for 15 seconds, and goes out. After 12 seconds, it fires off again and goes through the same thing. Then, after doing this a few times, it keeps running). Then, and only then, I can turn the furnace on and it will fire off and run (I do have to cycle it on and off a couple of times to get it to burn). It runs fine until it gets up to temperature, then it turnes off. When it gets cool, the fan turns on again, and the burner attempts to light, but it doesn't fire off. At that time, if I turn the water heater back on, it acts the same as before).
If it is still working, when I go out to check it, I'll know the new hoses fixed it. If not, it's beyond me, and I'll take it in.
Cliff

Old 12-11-2009, 05:25 AM   #25
Weekend Camper

Cliff,

I'll be curious to hear what the resolution is since that is the same sequence I go through with my water heater. I assumed the thermal couple wasn't sensing the gas and shutting it down the first couple of tries (also assuming that it works similar to a house gas water heater). I don't have problems with the furnace (that I have noticed), but did have some problems with the frig running on gas. I think it was just air in the lines, although I can't figure outhow it gets in there.

Does anyone else have to go through that lighting sequence with the hot H2O tank? It tries to start several times and stops. After 3 attempts, the light on the panel comes on and you have to start the sequence overagain by turning the switch off and back on.Ifthere is gas in the line all the way to the H2O tank, shouldn't it light the first or second time?

Ifthe issue is a kink in the line or something similar,please post the results here. I'd like tocheck mine out for the same problem.

Thanks,

Brian

Hensley, AR

'05 CF29RK,

'01 Ford F250 CrewCab
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #26
Weekend Camper

Monty,
I will definitly post the resolution to the problem. I expect several of the folks that have responded will be interested.
The sequence you describe for your water heater is the normal operation when the gas hasn't gotten to the heater (it should try 3 times (12-15 seconds between each try) then stop and the red light turns on to let you know it's not lit). Once the gas does get there, it should light and burn normally. You can hear it when it lights the gas. On mine, the light doesn't come on because it is getting gas, and burning long enough for the sensors to think it's working right. Then, when the pressure goes down, it senses that and goes out. Then, it's normal cycle is to try to relight, after 12-15 seconds. So the cycle basically starts over. Then, after several of these cycles, it stays lit and runs fine. At that point the heater will also work.
Stay tuned for the next episode. It's definitely going in to the shop tomorrow (I plan to be at the gate when they openat 8:30).
Cliff

Old 12-12-2009, 06:32 AM   #27
Weekend Camper

Took it in this morning. The tech adjusted the water heater, listened to it a while, listened to my long story about all the symptoms, and thinks that there is a pollution of some sort in the lines. )possible a bad tank of gas). He is going to blow out the lines, put on a new tank of gas and go from there.
I'll keep you posted.
Cliff

Old 02-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #28
New Camper

Looking for answers from Cliff.
pro668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:34 AM   #29
Weekend Camper

OK...I don't think the answers are going to help, though.
The tech filled the tank with new propane and said it was working fine (I don't think he blew out the lines, nor did he empty the tank first. He thinks I may have gotten butane instead of propane in the tank). I took it home, and it worked OK for one night. Next morning, it wasn't working again. We left for Fl, and I tried it from time to time for the next couple of weeks with no results. In the meantime we were using our blue flame ventless space heater and water heater until the tank was empty. I switched tanks and had that tank refilled. Next day, I turned the central heater on, and it actually started working. Worked fine for the rest of the trip (about 4 weeks). I guess I had bad propane in that tank, and it got into the lines, and since the heater is much more sensitive than the other things (water heater, space heater, stove, etc), it couldn't work on the bad gas. It's been sitting in the yard for a couple of weeks now, and I will go out one of these days and see if it's still working. Or, maybe it's all just magic???
Cliff

Old 02-26-2010, 02:13 AM   #30
New Camper

Thanks, seems like much hassle to figure out this problem.
pro668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:13 AM   #31
New Camper

I have the same symptoms in my pp 08 5th wheel dealer has replace thermostat,getting ready to take rig back as soon as weather (mud) breaks. How did you put ventless heater in and how do you like it,since this is third time this has happened since jan,and luckily was able to keep from freezing with electric heaters. we live in it while worki ng in central Ill.
Glen Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:06 AM   #32
Weekend Camper

I love the ventless heater.
I put a "tee" in the propane line in the refer compartment, ran a copper line through the wall into the cabinet (under the stereo), put in a cutoff, and hooked a flexible gas line (with a quick disconnect) to it. I decided I didn't want to install the heater permanently on the wall so I took a couple of pieces of angle iron (from a bed frame), the four casters from the bed frame, and made a stand and bolted it to the heater, so it is, now a free standing, movable, heater. When we need it, I just hook it to the flex-tube, turn on the cutoff, fire it up, and enjoy the heat. When we don't need it, I keep it stored in the cabinet. I also found that a small (6") fan, on the wall over the heater, circulates the air really well, keeping the rig heated evenly. I have two, actually. One 12 volt dc, and one 110 volt ac. That way, we can use it when dry camping, or when hooked up.
BTW, I checked the central heater yesterday, and it is still working fine...go figure. I'm not going to trust it yet, though...I'm keeping the blue flame heater as a backup.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:10 AM   #33
Site Team

cliffw42:
Is that heater a----Olympian Wave catalytic heater?? Do you let it run at night, and if so, do you open windows for air?

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:43 AM   #34
Weekend Camper

It's a Desa International GWP10T Vent-Free Gas Space Heater. It's a 10,000 btu unit with a thermostat. I got it from Amazon.com for $130 total, including shipping.
Yes, I leave it on an night, but the thermostat keeps it off most of the time, unless it's really cold. I do crack a window slightly right beside the unit (even though it has an oxygen depletion sensor, since I really don't trust those things enough to not ventilate the area).

<h1 ="parseasinTitle">
</span></h1>