Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have one of the CrossForce toyhaulers and am quite pleased with it. The original tires that came with it are getting to the age where they are candidates for replacement. One of them in fact, had a partial failure Thursday, where some of the tread separated and I could see all the way to the cords! Fortunately we caught this in an RV park and the good folks at the tire shop just down the road swapped out for a spare.

I would prefer to replace the entire set with good American-made tires rather than the Chicoms which the factory supplied. I've been hearing some good things about the Michelin XPS Rib but they are about 1" larger in diameter than the factory-supplied tires (ST 235/80R16 stock tires vs. LT 235/85R16 for the Michelins). And yes, they're expensive but the Michelin brand has given me very good service on both the truck and previously on cars.

For those of you who have had your rigs long enough to replace the tires, what did you go with?

Would the slightly larger size be workable? There appears to be sufficient clearance, but that is sitting on level ground rather than driving out in the real world. It does appear that the rear tandem on each side sits fairly close to the sheet-metal cross brace that attaches to the skirting.

Appreciate any advice from those on the forum.
Troubleshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
New Camper

I cant say if they'll fit but I can say that I've done my fair share of homework on ST tires and it seems that every brand except one is made in China. And the failure rate is very high. The only brand thats not made in China is Maxxis and they're made in Thailand with a growing reputation as the only ST tire to have. The rest are called China bombs.

In saying that, clearly its stated that if you can upgrade to a LT tire then the chances of failure are far less. The only problem for us trailer guys is if the manufacture fitted the trailer with 15" rims then you have to purchase 16" rims too. Well worth doing so if you can justify the expense. I personally am fitting my trailer with 15" Maxxis and hopping for the best. If I have to much trouble then I'll seriously consider 16" wheels but to change all six tires and wheels will run me around $3000.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Maybe a little late here but tire mfg's recommend ST tires on trailers, especially 2 or 3 axle due to their sidewall flex, allowing them to work better when turning in tight areas. LT's are great for their designation "light truck" but I'm not sure I'd change to them for my triple axle.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Bob.
I put BFG commercial ta tires on my 2 axle PP. The tires are about 1/2 inch taller than the st tires I had on the trailer. I have been very happy with them and show very little ware. I know they are LT and not ST but I and others here on the forum have been very happy with them.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I put bfg's on my 5er 2 years ago. Great tires. Going up to 16's lt's made my camper ride smoother.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:30 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Well as luck (the bad kind) would have it, a medical issue arose last year that precluded my RV travels.Never bought the tires, as I didn't see any reason to buy new tires just to let the 5'er sit. So now I'm looking at the BFG Commercial T/A tires that Geondebi mentioned. Nearby dealer has a "BFG Commercial T/A All-Season" which I think is the same, for about $170 apiece, which seems to be a good price.

Guess we'll see how well they work. Thanks again everyone for the advice!
Old 05-12-2013, 04:33 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom
The only problem for us trailer guys is if the manufacture fitted the trailer with 15" rims then you have to purchase 16" rims too. Well worth doing so if you can justify the expense. I personally am fitting my trailer with 15" Maxxis and hopping for the best. If I have to much trouble then I'll seriously consider 16" wheels but to change all six tires and wheels will run me around $3000.

That's odd. My Crossroads came directly from the dealer with the 16" rims. Maybe that was part of the standard "upgrade" package that he had ordered?
Old 05-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
New Camper

Maybe they changed rim sizes for newer models.

<div nuan_tabactive="true" id="nuan_ria_plugin">< style=":;:1000" ="applicati&#111;n/x-dgnria" id="plugin0" height="0" width="0">< value="ff-tab-37" name="tabId">< value="952" name="counter">
Old 05-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Goodyear Marathons have given me pretty good service. Some of them are made in China, but I think they also make some in Alabama. I've had two sets of the China made Marathons that I've had no problems with.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969

Goodyear Marathons have given me pretty good service. Some of them are made in China, but I think they also make some in Alabama. I've had two sets of the China made Marathons that I've had no problems with.

Thanks Mike. I checked on Tirerack.com and it appears that all of the Marathons are currently made in China. I'm going to give the BFG's a try, as they are once again being made in the US. (Apparently they were also being made overseas for awhile).
Old 05-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969

Thanks Mike. I checked on Tirerack.com and it appears that all of the Marathons are currently made in China. I'm going to give the BFG's a try, as they are once again being made in the US. (Apparently they were also being made overseas for awhile).
Keep everyone posted on those BFG's. If what you say is true then thats the ONLY trailer tire made in the US. Hopefully quality control is a concern for them.
<div nuan_tabactive="true" id="nuan_ria_plugin">< style=":;:1000" ="applicati&#111;n/x-dgnria" id="plugin0" height="0" width="0">< value="ff-tab-5" name="tabId">< value="72" name="counter">
Old 05-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

"Keep everyone posted on those BFG's. If what you say is true then thats the ONLY trailer tire made in the US."

The BFG Commercial TA is not a STtrailer tire but a LT (light truck) tire. Many of us have gone to them or some other brand of LT tire to stay away from all the junk ST tires.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

5 years ago I replace the nylon tires that came on our Paradise Pointe with LT radials. I went with an off brand to save money since we only use the campera few times a year and close to home. They are Delta Seirradials and have been absolutely fabulous. And they are made in the USA.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
"Keep everyone posted on those BFG's. If what you say is true then thats the ONLY trailer tire made in the US."

The BFG Commercial TA is not a STtrailer tire but a LT (light truck) tire. Many of us have gone to them or some other brand of LT tire to stay away from all the junk ST tires.

Precisely! The BFGs are LT not ST. I could not find any US-made ST. In fact, I couldn't find any ST that wasn't Chicom, although I found a couple which used to be made in other countries in previous years (but no longer).