Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
New Camper

Hi new to the forum, I purchased a used zinger last fall. after 2 days of the camper plugged in the A/C will cycle on for 20 seconds and make a sound like its building presure then shut off. it will do this enough that it will blow the breaker. the only way to stop it is to turn off the a/c breaker. Anybody have any thoughts?
bradybunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
New Camper

sounds to me that possible you have a stuck expansion valve and the compressor is over pressuring and shutting down, then when it starts up again its at high pressure and shuts off again. are you able to check the condensor core and see if its dirty? if your condensor is dirty then when your freon is pressurized it gets hot and causes even more pressure which would trip you high level cutout switch. and a third possibility is your evaporator core is freezing off due to running too long at full blast when the weather is really hot out, if so you need to check your evaportor core and see if its frozen. also do you have good air flow coming from the unit?
Skitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
New Camper

went back out and turned the breaker back on. the compressor now just runs constantly even with the thermostat turned off. I turned the a/c on and the fan came on and blew cold air. I turned the thermostat back off, the compressor continued to run until it poped the breaker.
bradybunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
New Camper

to me it sounds like there might be a problem with the thermostat, ill try get wiring diagrams tommarrow and trace out the harness but when the thermostat is turned off the compressor should shut off as well. same goes for the previous problem where the the compressor would run for 20sec then shut off and restart, could be a issue with the thermostat having a bad sensor and telling the compressor to turn on and off or simple telling the compressor to stay running and have the evaportor freeze off and cause over pressure and trip the high level shut off then most units have a time delay before they allow the pump to turn the back on. they are digital after all and controlled by a sensor.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
New Camper

Hey sorry for the late response, but according to service department from my local dealer the ac is completely controlled by the thermostat so if it is not shutting off then your thermostat is not functioning properlly.