Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

skylight and dealer service question

I'm getting closer to purchasing my first TT (270bh) and have more questions for this helpful group.

The unit is well equipped and has a skylight in the kitchen, which I would prefer not to have because of the additional heat and possible leaks. I see many of the vent pillows online, but do they make one to custom fit a skylight? Or is the skylight too big to hold the pillow? As for potential leaks from this big hole in the roof-anything I should specifically look for or preventative modifications that could help with this? Or am I worrying about nothing?

It looks like I'll be purchasing out of state because no local dealer has this unit. Is there a resource that I can use to see which dealers have the best service/warranty department, since I will be dependent upon them for warranty work when I get home?
Kingfish58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Is it a skylight or a vent? If it is a vent or for any vents you have, get the maxxair vent covers (or fantastic fan vent cover if you have a fantastic fan). This allows you to keep your vents protected from things like hail damage and you can keep your vent open in the rain. If it is a skylight then enjoy it, our old tt had one in the shower. We never had any issues and I didn't ever notice our bathroom to be hotter in the summer. With any vent or skylight just maintain your caulking and inspect them every time you inspect your roof (ideally at least twice per year).

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:08 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Kingfish58,

anaro brings up a good point. You will either need to get up there a few times a year or take it in for maintenance anyways. The roof all the seals need attention whether you have a skylight or not. You have several potential points of entry for water including your black water vent, fridge vent, bath vent, shower skylight front cap seals...etc etc anyways you get the idea.

It's not difficult, its just remembering to actually do it.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

It is a "kitchen skylight", not a vent, and is listed as an option. I can't find the dimensions, but it looks much bigger than a vent in pictures.
Thanks for the advice on leak prevention. Being in Louisiana, I want to be sure I can plug it up with insulation to keep the heat out.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

We have taken black cloth and put Velcro around the skylight, and on the cloth that takes care of the light
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Our skylight has an accordian shade that pulls across it. We love the light we get from it. If it feels like it maybe letting in more heat we just close the shade and we are fine. The opening is larger than the regular vent openings and ours is tinted.

The Duncans
2015 Sunset Trail Reserve ST28BH
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500hd crew cab 4x4
Mr. T and Ms. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

We do not have the shade, but I think all Sunset's have them.

Heat isn't really an issue. I have not noticed any excessive heat from the skylight. Also, as mentioned, there are other holes in the roof that need maintained, so not really a big deal to have one more.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I've seen people by a piece of window tint and tint it from the inside.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
Ken
Weekend Camper

I was concerned about the skylight and heat coming through but to my surprise I can put my hand up against it when its 100 outside and very little heat come off. I camp in Texas so trust me mine has seen some heat, but don't worry. My parents have a 2004 fiver and they have a vent over their shower that is in the bedroom and it allows all kinds of heat in but mine doesn't.

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #10
Ken
Weekend Camper

By the way where are you in Louisiana, I am in East Texas and the dealer here has been really good to work with. As a matter of fact my trailer is there now getting the last bit of minor stuff fixed since my warranty expired this month.

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

This is all good to know, and eases some of my concerns. Thank you for the replies.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:49 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

We have a skylight over the shower, just like in our old trailer. I do not want a skylight at all in case heat comes in. Also a lot of light can come in that you may not want early in the day.

How I dealt with in both trailers was by taking the interior cover off and putting something in there to block the light. In the old trailer that was a couple of pieces of block-out material (it's kind of rubbery on one side and is used to line curtains) and in this trailer I put a sheet of Reflectix in there. Both methods work fine, I just worked with what I had on hand at the time.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

I don't find the skylight in the shower to be a problem. I don't notice any heat coming from it. That being said I do try to find shade to park in. It also is brighter in shower than what the bath light can provide. If I was going to black it out I think I would install another fan instead.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:00 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

I have a skylight in our kitchen area and we love it. It does have an accordion shade built in it and we keep it closed when we are not in the camper but usually keep it open when we are in it and have never had an issue with heat. I really like it cause with the new dark colors in the interior, it brightens the living area a good bit.