Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Camping with pets.

We have three dogs. In the past we at times would go camping with all of them ( 2 Rottweilers and 1 Yorkie). Now that we can not pull our new TT with our Suburban it's given us some challenges.

Here is my question how do you all do it? I find myself limited because we can't be away from the TT too long. We're limited to where we can take them even if it's one. But I love to be with my dogs. I'm just curious to what others do. I'm planning a month long trip for next year and I'm probably going to have to leave them all at home.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

We've got a schnoodle named Boo that travels with us. She has always ridden with us and accompanies me at work pulling a 3 car carrier. So she definitely has the experience. It sounds like your herd does also.
We would not think of leaving our one dog home, I know you're situation is a bit different. We do, however, have never had a problem leaving Boo alone in the camper for up to a few hours, as long as she had fresh air, water, and food. She got used to this since I work outside the house and my wife does also on occasion. I have found that as long as you spend time with your pet while camping, ( good daily walks, exercise, and companionship), that they can be pretty resilient. Most campgrounds we have been at have designated areas to turn your dog loose in. And they get the opportunity to socialize with other canines too.
Patience and a little planning go a long way.
SCT Flash 4X tune
Billstein upgrade shocks and dampener
2008 Crossroads Cruiser 32BL
RADMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

we got something like this and our dog rides in the back of the cc just fine ...

I take that back - he's asleep before the wife even
Old 06-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

johnboytoo....watchin Weather Channel...you guys seem to be over your drought today!
SCT Flash 4X tune
Billstein upgrade shocks and dampener
2008 Crossroads Cruiser 32BL
RADMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Rottweilers are usually on the list of dogs that are not allowed at some of the campgrounds we go to, so you are very limited. In addition a lot of campgrounds limit the number of dogs you can bring, length of tie out, and leaving the dogs unattended while you are gone.
An option is to leave your dog at home and have a dog sitter come to your house and take care of them. Second option is to kennel them for the month with a good kennel. Expensive? Yes, but that's the price you have to pay for having dogs and traveling for a month without them.

I hire some high school kids from down the street to dog sit our dog. They only charge $5.00 a day and do a really good job.

Good luck.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
Site Team

There were 2 major reasons that I got back into camping. One was so I could camp at race tracks and not fight the crowd leaving after the race. The second was so I could take my dog with me. Well, the dog has now become 2 dogs because Holly got lonely while I was at work and wanted a companion. She and Buster both weigh 12 lbs. each, so they are easy to take along and don't take up much room until bedtime, and they sure know how to take their share, and part of mine, of the bed. When I retire, I plan to hit the road for about a month and take them along. There are very few people I would trust to leave them with for a day, much less a month. I have 2 sons living not far away with their own families. They come over frequently, but my 2 Dachshunds live with me every day. They are family. If they don't go, I don't go. Besides, they keep all of the badgers out of the campsite.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

All my dogs can handle being alone for hours. There all pretty lazy as long as we take them for walks. To be honest I enjoy the walks at the campgrounds. I get to see how others set up and I get to meet other campers. We have a dog sitter my mother in law stays at my house. I just feel bad leaving them for a month and I don't want to be without them.
Fortunately we've never had a problem with campgrounds not allowing our dogs. They are extremely well behaved usually better than most other dogs. We spend a lot of time in socialization and obedience training.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Friends of ours have two little dogs and they have them trained to use piddle pads for when they cannot get back in time to take them out. We travel with a cat, so we have no such problems.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADMiller View Post
johnboytoo....watchin Weather Channel...you guys seem to be over your drought today!
Well, not quite, but it sure helps !!! we are still 5 FOOT under our avg rainfall...

and STILL the doofuses insist on driving into the high water --- 45 high water car rescues today !!!

Wichita falls is considering recycling 50% 'processed' water back into the drinking water !!??!!
Old 06-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

We usually take our dog. Only trips we have not are when we know we won't be around the trailer much. Those trips we take our dog to doggie camp where the majority of the time is spent playing with other dogs.

You can look into temperature monitoring devices that alert you when not in the rig. This would allow you longer periods away from the trailer. this article talks about some of the different types. With your dogs, I would just call ahead to make sure campgrounds accept them. I hate breed restrictions as the issue is not so much the breed as how they are raised, trained and handled. I have a boxer American bulldog mix so I feel your frustration on that issue. I would carry a copy of your vet records showing all current vaccines for the dogs. If they aren't microchipped, I would do that as well. This way if something happens, they can be reconnected with you.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

If you're traveling on a long trip and plan to be gone sightseeing during the day, I recommend you leave him/her with someone you can trust or a reputable kennel. I love dogs.all dogs...but we once had two labs and it was a pain to keep them entertained. Mine tended to get themselves in trouble when left too long by themselves. We only have one now (Hammy passed a few years back) and she sleeps alot. Weekends at the campground are OK, but we left her with a friend when we went out west. Didn't seem fair to her that she was cooped up during the days we were sightseeing and either way, she was only getting attention a few times a day.

Most campgrounds we stay at take inventory on how many and what breeds you bring in. Almost all have a policy on so-called "aggressive breeds" (don't get me started). With that said, I've seen all breeds at these campgrounds, so it's not really enforced in my experiences.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
Gone Traveling

We have two dogs (60 pound Lab and 70 pound mix) that always go with us. We make sure to walk them regularly and they are fine staying in the RV while we are out. I leave the TV or stereo on so they hear human voices and to round out any distractions that may make them bark.

I've found that the VAST majority of folks at campgrounds travel with pets. As Davisk said, taking the pets along is a huge perk of camping.
Chateau Duke To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
We usually take our dog. Only trips we have not are when we know we won't be around the trailer much. Those trips we take our dog to doggie camp where the majority of the time is spent playing with other dogs.

You can look into temperature monitoring devices that alert you when not in the rig. This would allow you longer periods away from the trailer. this article talks about some of the different types. With your dogs, I would just call ahead to make sure campgrounds accept them. I hate breed restrictions as the issue is not so much the breed as how they are raised, trained and handled. I have a boxer American bulldog mix so I feel your frustration on that issue. I would carry a copy of your vet records showing all current vaccines for the dogs. If they aren't microchipped, I would do that as well. This way if something happens, they can be reconnected with you.
Great article. Thank you.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
I would carry a copy of your vet records showing all current vaccines for the dogs. If they aren't microchipped, I would do that as well. This way if something happens, they can be reconnected with you.
I agree completely. As soon as my dogs get updated rabies vaccines, I make copies of the certificate and put a copy in each vehicle and one in the camper. I don't want to take a chance of forgetting it. Both of mine are also microchipped. You should also make sure you take a recent photograph of each pet along just in case they get loose.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote