Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Winterizing problem on ST25RB.

Hi All - for the past couple of years I have winterized by blowing out the water lines. It's predicted that we will have a colder than normal winter here in north Georgia this year, so I decided I would use the siphon method this year. The first problem I found was the siphon hose was only 2 feet long, too short to reach the bottom of the antifreeze jug so I had to buy a longer hose. Thanks Crossroads. The problem I am now having is that all the antifreeze is being siphoned into the water heater. There are 2 valves, one for the siphon hose and one that I assume ls the water heater cutoff valve. I have tried this valve in both positions and it makes no difference, the antifreeze goes into the water heater. When I turn on the water pump, I get antifreeze on the hot water side only, nothing on the cold water side. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

There are TWO valves near the water heater. Both must be turned. You might want to turn them back to the Normal position and flush the W/H real well before winterizing. It will probably take 4-5 flushes to really get it out (maybe more?). It sounds like you found the bypass hose valve but not the cold line valve that shuts off the water TO the water heater.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

there are 2 shut off valves for the water heater bypass and 1 for the siphon hose. they are all self explanitory as the water goes in the direction that the handle is, make sure the heater 's 2 valves are in the bypass position(both are always the same direction) and don't worry about flushing pink from heater , as it will be flushed out in the spring. I always leave some in the heater,,,won't hurt anything.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
there are 2 shut off valves for the water heater bypass and 1 for the siphon hose. they are all self explanitory as the water goes in the direction that the handle is, make sure the heater 's 2 valves are in the bypass position(both are always the same direction) and don't worry about flushing pink from heater , as it will be flushed out in the spring. I always leave some in the heater,,,won't hurt anything.
This...

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote