Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to KECoats
Have 2006 PP with a king bed in the slideout.

Whenit is closed for travel the slide raises itself the last couple of inches as it comes in and is even all the way accross the top seal as I look at it from the outside. After travelinga couple hours, the end of the slide toward the front of the 5th wheel has dropped 1 to 1-1/2 inches allowing rain to come in along the top seal on that end.

I could have swornat one time I lookedbehind the bottom seal of that slideout and saw a roller on both ends of the slide about a foot in from the edge. But now there is only a roller at the rear end of the slide, none at the front.

Took the bed apart and a couple friends looked at it with me. One of them said he didn't think there was ever a roller on the front end. In hisopinion the large angle irons of the slide mechanism were what held it level. So we loosened the 4 heavy bolts, (one was a little loose), jacked up theslide and retightened the bolts. That has helped some but doesn't seem right.

Do any of you know if there is supposed to be roller on each end of the slide?

Appreciate any info you can provide.
KECoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Not sure but it seems people talk about a "bell" theer shold be a gold colored bell under the slide that aligns it when in.

Search the posts a little here and you might find more help.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I don't believe there is a roller in front but could be wroung. Did you try to put slide out and back in again to see if it fit right. There is adj. to level slide in and out and top to bottom. Cneck to see if any have moved.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Kirk, I cannot swear to it because our trailer is at the storage site right now but we have the queen bed slideout and I think it does have a roller front and back under that slide. Maybe someone here that has their trailer handy can check it out for you. I can't see why there would only be one in the back especially on a king slide.

Steve, the bell you are speaking of is on the larger living area slide outs. Edited by: Hunter11
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

My '04 has a queen bed and it does have the rollers. There are 3, one in the center towards the head board and1 on each side of the foot end. If I remember correctly I read about a situation where the pins that hold the rollers can sometimes come out allowing the bed to drop. Not sure if it would drop an 1" or 1 1/2" but it might be a starting point. I know when my bedroom slide opens the right side (next to the sink) drops after the slide moves about 6 or 8" and I can see thatthe bottomedge is rubbing wearing off the paint on the outside. I need to have it adjusted to correct it.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I have a king bed in my slide and as the slide comes in it does come up an inch or so and the bed goes tight against the dresser on the opposite wall, it does not move while we travel, the bed comes down an inch or so and then slides out, if there is something you need to know on the slide just let me know and I will be happy to look for you, the slide has not been opened for 3 yrs so I honestly I don't remember what's under the bed....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:57 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

mbinohio, my bed slide operates the same as yours.

Next time you haveyour bed slide open, if you go outside and look at the bottom of it, you'll probably see that the gapfrom the bottom of the slideto the wall of the trailer is approximately the same on both ends.

Mine used to be that way, but on this trip thegap at the front endis now less than 1/2" and the gap at the back end is a little more than1".

I suspect on my trailer there was a roller at the front of the slide that has come off the shaft or the roller has dropped down into the trailer wall. Anyway, now when I pull the rubber seal on the bottom down, I can only see a roller at the back end of the slide

If you could pull the bottom seal under your bed slide down a bit and look behind it I would like to know if you can see a roller about a foot in, from each end, front and back.

I appreciate your help.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:37 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

KECoats, I sent you a PM on your bed if you still need me to check the bed let me know....Mike

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:50 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

KECoats, I just had to adjust my queen size bed because it was dragging on the carpet as it moved in/out. I also had a slight difference in the gap at the bottom of the slide as I looked at it from the outside while the slide was out. Not only did I loosen the bolts on the angle iron on the slide side and re-adjust, but I modified the bed framework. Mine has rollers underneath on either side of the bed about a foot or so from the foot of the bed. They had bowed the bottom piece of plywood from the weight and pulled some of the staples holding the framework together. I added a vertical piece of 3/4 inch plywood above where the roller is mounted to help hold the bottom of the frame in place and prevent it from pulling out the staples again. So far so good.

Hensley, AR

'05 CF29RK,

'01 Ford F250 CrewCab
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Thanks everyone. mbinohio opened his PP and checked his bed slide-out which is the same model as mine. The slidedoes have rollers at the front and back of the bedinside the wall so when I get home, I'll be working on the repair of this problem.

Monty, my bed also has the rollers near the foot of the bed. Last year I had problems with the bed frame falling apart and I reinforced the entire frame withscrews andbolted aluminum 90 degree angles to each inside corner to hold the corners together.

With all the vibrations on the road, those staples work loose just about everywhere they are used in the entire trailer and during checks I end up using screws or bolts to put things back together. The last thing two things I had was the door frame into the toilet was working loose to the point you almost couldn't shut the door. Used screws to put it back in place. Then the entire double door closet rod crashed to the floor with all our clothes on the rod. The staples had pulled loose. Took it all apart and replaced the staples with screws and glue. So far so good.

Thanks for your help. Kirk