Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I'm hoping someone can help me on here! I have a 2006 PP Travel trailer, 36 ft. I'm not sure if we are having converter or battery issues. Bought a new battery last year because we were having some issues, and actually got a 50-amp power box installed at our site (We camp at Lake Carroll, IL, which is known for its electrical issues in the campground). The battery was fullycharged when I brought it back yesterday and hooked it up to the trailer. Her is the gist of my situation after spending all weekend frustrated - Woke up this morning, the battery was fully charged, 100%. No lights or anything were being used at the time I checked the battery, as it was first thing in the a.m. and no lights were needed. After, I went inside, and turned on the lights inside, went back outside, and the battery charger said that batter was completely dead. As soon as I turned on the lights, the battery went dead. Had some frig problems last night (we have the propane tanks being refilled, both of them, so there is no gas at this time), check light flashing on and off, etc. However, the biggie today is this - Took the battery completely off of the unit and we have no power, nothing...no refrigerator, no lights, no nothing, BUT we can use the outlets and those are working fine. The 110 from the outside seems to be working and coming into the camper, but does the frig run off of the battery or theelectric? It seems very strange if the frig would run off of the battery!!! But when I took the battery off, nothing, no power at all in the camper, but the outlets work fine. Do I have a bad battery, or a bad converter and my converter is not converting to 12V into the camper? It just seems strange that the frig would run off of the battery. If it's supposed to run off of the electric, then do I have a frig issue too? I have read some posts on here, and realize that there have been some problems with the converters. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it!!! When it comes to electric, I have NO CLUE. I'm amom! I don't do electric!
lovetocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

No doubt, you will probably get a wide range of replies with lots of different advice; but since you and most of us are not really qualified to do electric I would take the trailer to a dealer and let him check it out. It could be something as simple as a loose ground wire or then the converter may be defective. Worth a fewbucks to get it checked by a professional.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

The converter has a fuse at the bottom. If this fuse is bad it will run down the battery and everything that runs on 12volts. I know .. I have been there. Yep the lights work, TV and microwave but lp detector, frig, and heater would not run on a dead battery. If there were power issues it could have shorted or something to blow the fuse. Check that out it may be the root of your problems.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Sirsea - that would be great, but my trailer is stationary. It has been since 2006 when I bought it. It's parked at a Lake property and I don't have a vehicle to pull it. When I have to have service, I have to call someone to come out.

Geondebi - this may sound like a silly question, but I really have no clue - where is the converter, where can I find it? Is it near the main fuse box? I have checked the main fuse box and nothing is tripped and there are no lights on there to indicate a bad fuse.I brought the battery home, so will have that looked at to see if it even is a good battery. If you could tell me where to look for the converter, I will look next time I am there and see ! Thank you, it's worth a shot!!!!
lovetocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Blew the converter fuses by accidently touching the the postitive (white) lead to the negative terminal. On my unit the converter is at the main fuse box. Look for two large orange fuses, pull them and see if they're blown.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I have an 05 PP and mine is in the basement right side. Think where the main CB panel is under that. It is gray and has a fan. on the bottom of the converter is a plug in fuse. Sorry I do not have the trailer at home so I can not show you a picture or the size of the fuse. If the fan is not running ...it is the fuse... just pull it out and plug a new one in. You should be able to get one at any auto parts store. Hope this helps

Old 06-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

We have a 2008 PP travel trailer. The location of the original power converter was under the bottom kitchen drawer. We have had a lot of problems with the power converters and are currently on power converter number 8. The unit is going back to the factory when we are at the rally in July so Randy can look at it again. We had the power converter moved to under the stove because there was more room for air to circulate. We still can't figure out why we are going through so many power converters. We think there must be a short somewhere in the trailer. Maybe a staple or screw is touching a wire and depending on how the trailer flexes, it shorts out. We carry a small battery charger with us. When the converter goes out we hook up the charger and we have 12 volt. Without 12 volt, none of the thermostats will work so no refrigerator, furnace or AC. This is the last year for our PP. Recently the hanger bracket for the springs and axels broke off. I now have a large piece of I-beam as a souvenir to bring to the rally to show everyone. My thought is Lippert buys Chinese steel.

Good luck with your frustrating problem.
pointer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #8
New Camper

I have a 06 PP and am on my 5th converter. There is definitely an issue with the electrics in the PP's that was prob worthy of a recall. I only hope someone is able to figure out what is causing these premature failures before a fire occurs.
Gcaughron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #9
New Camper

I have a Iota DLS 45 and can't find the fuse or the reset button.
Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks
JeffKat is offline   Reply With Quote