Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #21
Weekend Camper

I've been brand loyal to GM. That being said, you need to drive them all and decide for yourself. Your question has the potential to end friendships.

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC Duramax
2014 Sunset Trail 300BH
DWags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #22
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest View Post
That statement requires more information. I have the 2011 6.7 with 105,000 virtually trouble free miles. The only thing the big 3 have all weasled out of warranty claims on are the high pressure fuel pump failures due to water in fuel - not a Ford issue, its across the board. The Bosch pumps don't like it and GMC uses the same pump.

Ford 6.0 and 6.4 diesels were built by Navistar. The Ford 6.7L diesel which came out in 2011 is Ford in house built and proven bulletproof, very different engine than the previous two from Navistar (and no injector problems). The transmission has also proven itself over the last ten years and been equally comparable to the GM Allison in strength and durability. I've had both the Torqshift 5 speed and now the Torqshift 6 speed and they perform well. Dodge didn't solve its transmission issues until the most recent model year (so far so good). For towing, they all had to be rebuilt bulletproof within the first three years of ownership up until now. This is a well known problem in the Dodge trucks prior to 2014 for those that tow heavy loads (12,000 lbs and up).

From the sounds of the OP inquiry, he should put up some total weights of the trailer as it is likely you will be looking at a dually version if your weight exceeds 15,500lbs loaded. There are a lot of 40 foot trailers under this, but if I were over that weight, I would be looking at a dually. Either way, the year of the truck you choose does matter. My preference would be only a Ford 6.7 F350 (so 2011 or newer) because I don't like IFS on the front and enjoy the solid Dana 60 which both Dodge and Ford use - hence ride more like a truck. GMC/Chev 3500 in the 2009 and up range have been solid. Dodge, 2010 to 2012 (pre DEF) but be prepared to rebuild the transmission and bulletproof it if not already done - can be done for about $2,500.

Start your research!! Drive them all but look to specific years for the issues that have arisen before buying.

I do a lot of my own diesel and truck repairs and the first Ford diesel I would buy since the 7.3L was the new 6.7L and it has been incredible. FYI - I've owned GMC and Ford and several of my friends are hardcore Dodge so the information is from real world drivers who tow.
Thanks Scott - I truly appreciate the in-depth response. I have always been a Ford man and really like the interior. I have almost 300K on a gas van with few issues. I will be going with a dually, the only thing that disappoints me with the Ford is the engine brake which I do feel is important.
travelmyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #23
Full Time Camper

The engine braking from Ford is better than most think. The GM has better reviews on the engine brake but I find with 13,000 pounds behind it works very well in tow/haul mode. It has been improved on the 2015 but I won't be going with a newer model for awhile. The 2011 and up Fords have excellent towing features and there is power to spare and I find the engine brake works well when you need it.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #24
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmyroad View Post
Thanks Scott - I truly appreciate the in-depth response. I have always been a Ford man and really like the interior. I have almost 300K on a gas van with few issues. I will be going with a dually, the only thing that disappoints me with the Ford is the engine brake which I do feel is important.
I have the 2009 6.4 and there is nothing wrong with the engine brake. If it can hold my rig at 60mph down a 6% grade without touching the brake it's OK. The truck takes it up the same one at 60 BTW.

I don't know why and haven't tried to figure it out. In normal braking it seems ineffectual BUT with the cruise control on it's all there. It's not like my old Pete with a switch you flipped.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #25
Weekend Camper

Thanks, I haven't talked to many about it and need to talk to more real operator. The pickup.com tests showed a real difference in the amount of time the foot brake had to be used.
travelmyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #26
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmyroad View Post
Thanks, I haven't talked to many about it and need to talk to more real operator. The pickup.com tests showed a real difference in the amount of time the foot brake had to be used.
They were expecting it to operate like I was. It doesn't work that way. IIRC it's a proportional thing, it starts in at a certain level of deceleration. You can see it downshifting and slowing it's just not as aggressive as I think it should be. What I do is when in hilly country I have the cruise control on but not engaged (I don't like the constant upshift, downshift) when I top a hill at my normal speed of ~60 I tap the Set button on the cruise and it takes care of the downhill. If part way down you tap the brake it will increase in speed as expected, push Resume and it will slow it back down to the preset. W/O applying brakes.

What I'm saying is my experience, other Ford owners that are not happy with the exhaust brake might try it and report back.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #27
Full Time Camper

I too have been pleased with the psuedo exhaust brake on my 12 and now 13 350...

in fact, I use it around town even unloaded...

when I see a red light or a need to stop, I will tap the tow/haul button instead of the brakes and it will downshift to slow me down...
if I want to stop quicker, I just tap the brakes as needed and it will drop a gear and can generate some pretty strong braking...

and one thing about an exhaust brake - here in my neck of the woods (DFW), use of exhaust brakes can get you a ticket in many of the surrounding municipalities
Old 04-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #28
Full Time Camper

Wildwildwest- yes I believe you are correct, it is generally fuel pump related and results in owners putting a new engine in the truck for around $15k. I was unaware of the issue in brands other than Ford's (I had been following the issue on ford truck enthusiasts). Here is one such Post.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #29
Site Team

What's amazing to me is I see the compaints about the Ford diesels, (pick a year). But when I check the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration web site I have not seen 1 complaint filed with them. If these engines were such a problem, I'm postive that many would have filed a complaint with the NHTSA. But no one has. Check it out for yourself. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues.
Not saying that people did not have problems with their engines, EVERY manufacturer has had issues with their vehicles. But if the problem was so overwhelming, SOMEONE would have posted a complaint.
I think it's like the forum here. You hear complaints about Crossroads. If the product was that bad their sales would not be increasing like they are. More people complaint than compliment. Always have and always will be like that.

So go out, pick out the truck YOU like. I'm sure it will serve you well.

ps My neighbors son's Dodge diesel is sitting at his house with a burned up turbo charger. Yet since this has happened there are 2 new Dodge diesels sitting in the neighborhood. Go figure.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #30
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Wildwildwest- yes I believe you are correct, it is generally fuel pump related and results in owners putting a new engine in the truck for around $15k. I was unaware of the issue in brands other than Ford's (I had been following the issue on ford truck enthusiasts). Here is one such Post.
That's not for an engine replacement. That $15k is just for the high pressure fuel pump and the whole common rail injection system from the HPFP to the injectors. Engine not required to be replaced. If so, you could add another $15,000.

As I said before, GM and Ford use the same HPFP and the incidence in both is still rare compared to the number of trucks on the road. To all diesel ownèrs, buy fuel from high volume stations and don't disregard a water in fuel light. And, don't add DEF to your fuel tank and start it up or you are finished. These new pumps can't handle water and the injectors don't like it at 29,000psi pressure either. And don't forget to drain a small amount from your DFCM regularly to check for water in fuel and change those fuel filters (2) every 12,000 miles - every second oil change on average.

I have 106,000 miles on my truck and no issues!!
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #31
Weekend Camper

all I can say is that the fleet that I am leased on has about 150 trucks we pull all types of RVs out of IN. and we have 65 percent fords 35 percent dodges and 10 GMs the engines in the GMs seem that they have a lot of fuel problems when miles get to be over 120000 miles good luck Jim&Carol
Old 04-26-2014, 12:48 PM   #32
Weekend Camper

Living in ont. Canada the problem here is rust. They would all be good if made out of stainless steal!
Old 04-27-2014, 07:57 AM   #33
Full Time Camper

How can one diesel engine have fewer parts than another? They all work on the same principle with the same parts. Does the Cummins have less bolts and screws?

One issue not being focused on here is the size/weight of the RV to be towed. A 40' 5th wheel has to be heavy. I do not know if the newest 350/3500 trucks are capable of such a beast. Even the newest HD truck, the 2015 Silverado HD, may not have sufficient carry capacity. You might be looking at a MDT for safe hauling. Certainly a four year old or older diesel cannot handle that RV safely.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #34
Site Team

[QUOTE=artgpo;76291]How can one diesel engine have fewer parts than another? They all work on the same principle with the same parts. Does the Cummins have less bolts and screws?

They have two less cylinders. So they must have fewer parts.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #35
Full Time Camper

Art- I know the 2015 Silverado duramax crew cab 4wd states max payload as 5205 lbs (and will go down from there with options), so you are right, it will depend on pin weight as to whether or not a dually can handle it.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:26 PM   #36
Family Vacation Member

I was a chevy man and have had three Rams as they call them selves now. 2013 has the best break control over the 2010 or 2012. I do have the Cummins with the Aisin transmission and is great, Mine is 2wd and is higher than most 4x4 trying to get leveling kit for the front to help out with 5ver noise up but no one makes it yet.
2008 Club Cart Precedent
https://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...olfcart2-1.jpg
Cajun TBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #37
Family Vacation Member

I have a 2010 ford 6.4 with 197,000 miles on it. At 165,000 miles had to replace the high pressure fuel pump. $6,000 to replace. Even now have had NO injector issues.

At 175,000 miles had turbo failure. Ford dealer told me that looked like dirt had got past the air filter. They said not to use after market air filters . He said he wasnt trying to sell me air filters ,just that many after market air filters may not fit the housing perfectly. the few extra dollars for a ford filter is pennies compared to new turbos.
This truck was flawless until the 165,000 mark. I agree never let those fuel filters go past 15,000 miles.

I pull very heavy loads all of the time and I cant understand this talk about exaust brakes, mine works fine , never has even been an issue that even crossed my mind.

I have driven this truck every one of these 197,000 "real" miles. I think all makes probably have issues when they reach higher miles. What make you buy is only your preference.

One issue I do have is, They have sold everyone these diesel pickups telling us they would last many more miles than a gas engine. HA! , maybe if you want to spend half the price of a new truck by 200,000 miles.

If you are only pulling a few miles to a campground for a weekend I would stay with a gas engine.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #38
Weekend Camper

Well, being a long time GM guy, and working at GM for a long time I get to see all the bad ones, when we were in the market for a new to us TV I knew of only one duramax I would settle for, that would be an LBZ, only comes in the 06-07.5 I, and many others believe this to be the best years for a duramax, 6 speed trans. No DEF, easy hook up of the factory exhaust brake, works VERY well. We got ours with 130,000 miles on it, will take my chances on any major breakdowns, so far it has been a great truck. I agree with many, test drive them all, but don't rule out one with mileage on it, I would be very confident that any GM, FORD, DODGE, during the GOOD years for them would run a very long time. Just gotta know what years and combinations are the GOOD years! Good luck!
DazedandConfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #39
TDG
Seasonal Camper

Just don't buy a ford with the 6.4 deisel

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
TDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:27 AM   #40
Weekend Camper

The best truck I ever had was the one I got the most pulling power/load, option and condition for the money....Ever make/model has it problems. I just make sure the truck can handle what I planning on pulling. I see/hear so many people just under power/over load the TV. Don't maintain TV for towing schedule. Used the worse placing for gas/diesel fuel. Then want to complain the the TV is breaking down all the time. It funny how people will spend all the money for bells an whistle but don't want/won't spend a dime on maintenance.
2015 Sunset ST32RL
Wantabe is offline   Reply With Quote