Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2009, 02:20 AM   #1
New Camper

Anyone have cold water from the tank but the tank is very hot?

I have the Atwood XT 10 gal heater with the cold/hot mixing valve (make it think it is 16 gal). It seems to have stopped working or never worked right in the begining. When I first got the camper it was very hot but no big deal I just addded cold water. Now after winter it runs cool to cold even though the tank is hot. I tried to turn the valve on the back of the unit but it just turned the fitting not the valve. I also noticed that the higher the water pressure the lower the temp so I was getting more cold than hot.

Anyone with knowledge on this heater or had a similar problem?

Thanks

Chevy 2500 Duramax 2006
1Kingston4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:43 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

We have the same WH on our PP and have never had that issue. We have always had hot water on demand. If the tank is hot that would lead me to believe it is an issue with the yellow valve at the back of the tank. I have never messed with ours because it has always worked fine. I would try and get the valve turned the opposite of what it is now and give that a try.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:18 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

1Kingston4me; Are you sure you have the hot water bypass shut off/on valve turned all the way off? Other than that I don't know?

02 F250 PSD

07 Cruiser: CF29RK

You CAN get there from here it just takes longer https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/100_1893.jpg
riverotter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I walked out a little while ago and checked the yellow valve on ours and it is in the off position so I assume it is not mixing with cold water. We will probably never have it on mixing with the cold water for more hot since with just the two of us we have never run out of hot water with the 10 gallons. Now once we install a W/D that may change. I am beginning to thinkRoger has a good idea to check the bypass valve.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Am I correct in thinking the mixing valve is an alternative to not having an adjustable thermostat? Looking at the first post, does the mixing valve really help to trick the H/W system into working like a larger tank?What's the difference in the mixing valve being on the tank or just adjusting the faucet valves?
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Stan, the below description is about the best one I could find to discribe the Atwood XT water heater. It works off the principles of heat exchange to increase the amount of hot water available for the trailer. Like I said we will probably not use the mixing valve for more hot water until we install a W/D.

The new Atwood XT Water Heaters use Exothermal technology to deliver more hot water from standard size water heaters. They provide the equivalent of 16 gallons of hot water from a 10 gallon tank and 9 gallons of hot water from a 6 gallon heater. This is accomplished by heating cold water to a hotter temperature and then mixing it with more cold water through an already installed mixing valve on the rear. The result is 50% more hot water! These units feature pre-installed winterizing by-pass kits and direct-spark electronic ignition. They are easily installed in the same cut-out as existing Atwood 6 or 10 gallon water heaters.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:30 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Thanks. It stills sounds like you can do the same thing by turning down the hot water faucet knob and turn up the cold and mix the two at the sink/shower faucet. This is the basic principle of any sink/shower valve.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
But it is automatic!!

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

If you winterized you may not have the bypsses in the right positions.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:36 AM   #10
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverotter55
1Kingston4me; Are you sure you have the hot water bypass shut off/on valve turned all the way off? Other than that I don't know?

Yes I am sure because I tried it both ways. When its in bypass you get just cold water not cool-warm. I have noticed that with lower source pressure I get less cold so it is a little warmer. Good thought though if it was partially open.

I think I have a bad valve so I will try to remove it and see if there is anything I can see then put it back and try again. If not then I'll get my local dealer to do a warranty fix.

What I can do in the mean time it to block off the cold so I get it straight from the tank so will have to do it manually at the sink or shower. The only draw back is that it will be very hot so my 8 year old needs to be careful. If I can turn the basic thermostat down I'll do that. Makes it the same as a regular tank then.

Chevy 2500 Duramax 2006
1Kingston4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:14 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

If the valve is bad I would bet you could go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get a replacement valve made of brass and not have to make a trip to the dealer. I don't think these new HW tanks have a way to lower the temp.