Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

A group of three of us are spending a week in late August & early Septaround Yellowstone and the Tetons. We will be in Jackson and at Fishing Bridge RV for a number of days and have reservations confirmed. We plan to depart from West Yellowstone and head south towards Idaho Falls, Pocatello, American Falls and on to the Salt Lake City area. Can anyone give us suggestions on rv parks and/or interesting sights in that area. These are roads we have not traveled before. Thanks!

jjriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Just in that area about 2 weeks ago, and stayed at a cg in Hiese Id. and it was about 15 miles outside of Id Falls. Not a real good spot as bath area poor and it was way out of the way to everything. 75 Miles from Tetons. In Salt Lake cg was Cherry Hill, and was nice and if you have kids they will love it but it does cost extra for the extra things to do. When in Salt Lake go see the open pit mine in the southern part of Salt Lake and its hard to find. Go wade in the great Salt Lake about 12 miles west on I 80 Can do both in 1 day, and take the tour of the Morman Temple. Its free andParking is a problem. If you are going south from Salt Lake try and take in Brice and Zion Fed. Parks as the are great. Do use the shuttle as they are free and will pick you up at your CG as parking again is a problem Hope this helps you plan your trip as we just returned from the west, traveling 5500 miles in 5 weeks.
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:02 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

The drive from West Yellowstone to Idaho Falls is a very scenic drive, beautiful country. There is also some excellent fly fising through there if you into that sort of thing. My FIL likes to camp at Massacre Rocks SP just outside of American Falls. It's a historical site located right on the snake river, apparently the indians used to ambush the wagon trains going though that area on Oregon Trail back in the day.... I've never been there, but It's one of my FIL's favorite spots. I'm not sure about rv parks around here, I do my camping on NF land out in the pine trees, but I'd be glad to help with directions or suggestions if you need.

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:17 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the info. I did send my BIL (jren) the web site forMassacre SP last week and sounds like a good place to camp. Have heard a little about American Falls. BIL and I do a little fly fishing but not good yet. Thanks again and we will not indicate to anyone that we might be on our way to Oregon.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Check this out, this on the Madison in MT, not far from West Yellowstone.

In case the link doesn't work search for "Bob Jacklins Fish of a lifetime" on youtube.

That'll sure make you want to stop and wet a line while you're that close!

Edited by: rock1424

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:15 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

What do you say jren, lets not just take our rodsthis trip but use them after seeing this video!!!! Thanks rock, that was one big catch.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Hey jjriff
This looks like a must place to visit and drowned a few wet and dry flies. Just hope it's not snowing the way our weather has been.

J Ren is offline   Reply With Quote