Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2012, 03:38 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We just purchased a new Rushmore that has the keyless entry door lock installed. Everything works just fine but in looking over the operating instructions that came in the information packet there is a small section that talks about replacing the battery in the transmitter (keypad). We do not yet need to replace it but need to know what to do when that time comes.

My specific question is how do we get the keypad off the side of the unit? There does not appear to be any screws holding it and I don't want to pry it off if that will damage something. How is it attached?

Thanks,
Robert in La.
slouman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I specifically asked the dealer about that when we had our wak through of our Provincial CF345RF and they showed me that it is hardwired in. the connection is on the door frame & door. Have a look and you'll see itabout a ft from the bottom of the door and door frame....

Therefore no need for a battery change unless of course the house battery goesdead........LOL

Come on warm weather........ really want to try this unit out but the Ontario weather isn't cooperating too much.

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks, Speedster ... that makes sense to me but I was confused by the information in the packet. I saw the contacts at the bottom of the door and kinda thought it was hard wired. This is one item I missed on the PDI.

Robert in La.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

On my Rushmore, I need to pull the keypad from the exterior wall, clean up the sealer, remove 2 small screws at the back of the keypad, replace the battery and then reglue the keypad using a two side gluing tape and then seal the top with clear sealant.

Givent the work required, use the best battery possible. I hear the battery will last 2 months average.

The dealer had to change it when we did our walk through back in March.

MM

2009 Silverado Duramax 2500HD
North_Bay 34SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Hmmmm....maybe the Rushmore is different from the Provincial???

MM, from your reply I assume you just pried it from the exterior wall? If this is the case it sounds like I may want to re-apply with velcro to make it easier in the future.

Thanks for your help.
Robert
Old 04-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Velcro is a great idea that I will use in my next battery change.

My keypad is on the left side of the door between the slide and the door at the level of the bottom of the foldable handle.

MM

Old 04-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

The Rushmore and the Cruiser are both the same as far as the key pads both take batteries and are not hard wired in, the rushmore is mounted on the wall to the left of the entrance door and the Cruiser is mounted on the door below the door handle. The contacts at the bottom of the door are for the led lights below the bottom of the door. Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Well that is strange as I specifically asked the question when walking through thesystems with the service guy at the dealership on our 2013 Provincial CF345RF..... He indicated it was fed from the house batteries.

Good to know otherwise but really strange they wouldn't have known that at the dealership?

I'll have to check it out whenthe weather warms up and we get out to the lake where it is parked.

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
Old 04-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Tom
The Rushmore and the Cruiser are both the same as far as the key pads both take batteries and are not hard wired in, the rushmore is mounted on the wall to the left of the entrance door and the Cruiser is mounted on the door below the door handle. The contacts at the bottom of the door are for the led lights below the bottom of the door. Hope this helps.

The contacts located on the door & frame, are for power to the 12 vdc electric lock, controlled by a circuit board (reciever), operated by the battery powered keyboard (transmitter). The led lights are operated by a normallyclosed magnetic switch located in the threshold & the magnet that is mounted underneath the hinge side of the door. When the door closes, the magnet opens the switch, turning off the led lights.
'12 Crossroads Rushmore RF38FL (ours!)
Barry, the ADHD x 2 German Shepherd mix, Granddog.
FFFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Thanks great info........... so much easier to trouble shoot down the road when something doesn't work !

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
Old 05-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

RE the battery replacement, The keypad is not hard wired. The mechinism inside the dooris however. I have had to replace the battery in the keypad several times. The keypad is glued to the side of your RV and comes off with some pressure. There are eight small screws on the back side of the keypad and inside you will find the battery. You will need something to glue it back on the RV and some clear caulk to seal it from the weather.

CAUTION: Do not lock with the keypad and leave your keys inside the RV. I did and you guessed it. Battery dead. Had to get a locksmith. $100 lesson.
mhodge5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

I also had the battery replacement problem and once got locked out as I left the keys in the unit assuming I could use the keypad. It worked when we left but not when we returned( dead battery). I didn't think that the battery should last only two months so I called Southco ( the manufacturer) and was told that the battery should last for 4-5 years. Also, I was tole d that they had a production problem with them and my should be replaced. I contacted Lippert as instructed and they sent my dealer a new keypad. Jury's still out as two months have not passed yet.
mhodge5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Thank you for the lead. When I picked up the unit, they had to change the battery on March 9th and the batterydiedon April 20th so about 6 weeks.

I will try to find the contact at Lippert.

MM