Old 03-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
mosledder
Weekend Camper

I know this subject has probably been discussed before but I couldn't find anything in the Archives. How many of youtripled tow? We would like to tow a 12 to 14 foot ATV trailer behind the CF29RK and pulling with a F250 diesel. The dealer is putting on a receiver hitch on the trailer, so there won't be a problem with warranty. And I'm pretty sure we'll be under the 65 foot limit. Just was wondering how it will tow, will there beany whipping or bucking? We'll bedealing withKansaswinds and Colorado mountains.

I guess I am wanting some reassurance.
mosledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
Lloyd
Site Team

I have my canoe on a boat trailer occasionally. As far as feeling it back there, I don't. It probably doesn't weigh much tho. All tho, I guess I do load it down some. I would think you will be fine if you don't over load it.

135 Watt Kyocera Solar Panel
25 Amp Go Power Regulator

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit."
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
Hunter11
Full Time Camper

Did the dealer tell you there would not be a issue with the frame warranty or did Lippert? When I called and talked to Lippert about installing a reciever hitch on the rear of our trailer I was told it would void the frame warranty if I did. When I asked the dealer we bought from about mounting one and not having an issue with the frame I was told they could do it and not affect the warranty but it would cost about $800. I can get the reciever hitch for about $250 so as you can see it was not worth it at the time.
1 Mini Dachshund
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
riverotter55
Family Vacation Member

This is actually just towing double, Our Son-in-Law does it all the time, but he's a Semi driver & works for an excavating company, so he hauls tandems all the time. I watched him back his wave runner trailer & 5er (all hooked together) into a CG site with NO problem. I'd have all the above jack-knifed six different directions!

02 F250 PSD

07 Cruiser: CF29RK

You CAN get there from here it just takes longer http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/100_1893.jpg
riverotter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:18 AM   #5
mosledder
Weekend Camper

[QUOTE=Hunter11]Did the dealer tell you there would not be a issue with the frame warranty or did Lippert?

Actually the dealer didn't say anything about warranty. We assumed sense the dealer was doing the work it wouldn't affect the warranty. Is Lippert the frame manufacturer?

A friend of ours is also a over the road truck driver, that what he says, "No big deal". He also said they will give you another four feet when you are triple towing. I don'tthink I would take that to the bank.

I alway thought it should be called double towing too, but legally its called triple towing.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:43 AM   #6
Lloyd
Site Team

I'm a little puzzled to say the least on this trailer hitch business on the back of our 5ers.
I ordered our 5er with a hitch. To the best of my understanding it came right from CR with the hitch bolted on. Rated to haul or pull said amount of weight.
Now from what has been posted on here,some of you can't install a hitch. Voids the warranty by the frame manufacture.
Maybe CR could step in here an give us some facts on this issue.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:59 AM   #7
Hunter11
Full Time Camper

Yes Lippert is the frame manufacture. I would give them a call and ask before you take the dealers word on the warranty. They may tell you that is no problem butI would want to hear that from Lippert not the dealer.

I would love to know how drilling 4 holes in the back of the frame and installing a reciever hitch to carry a bike rack and two bikes would void the frame warranty. I can see issues maybe with double towing but not with 150 lbs. of bikes and bike rack. This is a real sore spot with me and our Paradise Pointe.
1 Mini Dachshund
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:25 AM   #8
riverotter55
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
I'm a little puzzled to say the least on this trailer hitch business on the back of our 5ers.
I ordered our 5er with a hitch. To the best of my understanding it came right from CR with the hitch bolted on. Rated to haul or pull said amount of weight.
Now from what has been posted on here,some of you can't install a hitch. Voids the warranty by the frame manufacture.

That "lil-ol" bumper hitch is no good for towing anything! Their talking about a hitch with frame that mounts to the frame of the RV, like a Reese or Draw Tite or the like.

02 F250 PSD

07 Cruiser: CF29RK

You CAN get there from here it just takes longer http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/100_1893.jpg
riverotter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
Lloyd
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverotter55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer

That "lil-ol" bumper hitch is no good for towing anything! Their talking about a hitch with frame that mounts to the frame of the RV, like a Reese or Draw Tite or the like.
I don't have a, "lil-ol" bumper hitch.
Mine is bolted right to the frame,like a Reese or Draw Tite or the like.
Like I stated before, I ordered it from the factory that way.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:51 AM   #10
mosledder
Weekend Camper

Thisone will bewelded onto the frameby a certified welder.Maybe thats thedifference, welded vs Bolted. I can see where drilling holes into the frame would weaken the frame and void warranty.