Old 02-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
32FR
Weekend Camper

Hello all,
I am fairly new to trailer camping and would like to put together a tool box that stays in the trailer. I need your experience as to which tools and parts to keep on hand for common problems.
Thanks for any and all help
Allan
Old 02-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Ruck
Full Time Camper

I have a pretty basic tool box, nothing I can think of special that I use, tool wise. Do have a couple dog bones, extra length of sewer hose, extra water hose, and extra bulbs for interior and exterior and for tow vehicle and a couple extension cords. Did purchase some heat cables to wrap the water hose and filter. I have found that while camping outside family and friends I have bought two 50 amp hook ups with breakers and lenghts of wiring to be able to run 50A (one at my moms and one at 'out-laws' houses, which I left). Might buy one just to have on hand. Maybe when putting it together, keep in mind, plumbing, electrical and general mechanics... Good luck and welcome.
Travel Safe ...
'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
http://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
timscruiser
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to timscruiser
RUCK is rite on ! the only thing I might add is you might want to only carry a 1/2 socket setthen 3/8 -1/4 with adpters &sockets .I know when I started out I would grab my big old heavy tool box {50 lbs }+ thinking I might need all that crap but used a small part of it .I leave my good stuff in the shop and like RUCKsaid build a light box with nothing extra because {weight is a killer on a camper }

THE CONROYS MINI MOTEL ]]

<br /
timscruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
Ruck
Full Time Camper

PS:
Check the forum frequently for tips, hints and clues!! Treasure trove of info!!

Travel Safe ...
'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
http://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
fhenn
Full Time Camper

I bought a tool kit from Lowes for around 79.00 and it has covered every thing I have needed. Carry extra fuses for both the Camper and tow unit extra light bulbs Duct tape I carry a battery power impact wrench and a trailer aid. both have come in handy on a busy interstate

2008 CF32Bl pushing a 2007 Dodge

CDT with a six speed Automatic

Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the wonder dogs and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #6
Korbe & Diana
Family Vacation Member

Kinda depends on how you use your rig. Weekend camping or crossing the good ol USA. My tool box has evolved over time. Expected failures are tough to anticipate. Nothing has failed yet.

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:25 AM   #7
carl
Family Vacation Member

There seems to be something to repair or tightenmost every trip of much length or time! I carry various or combination screwdriver, channelock pliers, adjustable cresent wrench, end wrenches,socket sets, wheel lug wrench or socket, voltage tester, lubricants including dielectric grease, fuses,warning devices&battery powered air compressor for sure.
Over the years I have added replacement switches, faucet repairs, water heater check valve, appliance thermocouples, teflon & electrical tape & much more. This all depends of course on how much repair you want to do yourself.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:59 AM   #8
longhauler
Full Time Camper

I have a tool bag with general tools in it. I bought the cheapest ones I could find and I find that was a mistake the screw drivers break and the pliers and channel locks wont hold tight on the nut. So I would at least go with something Craftsman. I carry an assortment of zip strips, duct tape, electrical tape, flashlight, fuses, bulbs, bailing wire which is a toolbox must, and a number of screwdrivers, hammer, pliers and wire snips and a socket set and I know there's more, but all I can remember. I probably have more then I need, but you never know.

I think my camper cleaning supply is getting bigger then my camping tool bag. It never ends.

Edited by: longhauler

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2014stats
Nights: 47
Miles: 4411
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:26 AM   #9
coastn
Full Time Camper

My tool box has evolved over the ownership of 4 trailers now and includes most of what's been mentioned above. It's still a fairly small box augmented by a socket set bought at Costco for around $9..one of my best purchases. However, like carl says above probably the single best all around is the Campbell Hausfeld model CC 2300 rechargeable inflator (Home Depot $49.97)! I can carry it to every individual tire on the trip...trailer, truck, bikes, to keep everything up to pressure. No cords, no battery hookup, etc. I also carry a cordless drill for whatever use but mostly with a 3/4" socket to lower/raise the scissor jacks. Makes short work of that task!Both of these items I transfer to the trailer from home.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 ST30BH Traded
'15 Canyon Trail 31FBHS 5er
'12 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
'14 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
Sirsea
Seasonal Camper

I keep the usual WD-40, duct tape, spare bulbs, fuses, etc in a tool bag in the trailer, but keep another tool bag with assorted wrenches, screwdrivers, pliars etc and a socket set behind the rear seat in the truck so I always have access to the basics.

League City, TX

2011 Cruiser CF335SS Patriot

2008 Dodge Ram 2500HD

6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/...a/P1030085.jpg
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote