Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2012, 02:32 AM   #41
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenannie
Old Farmer. I believe you have to add the HD Payload option and it's not obvious how to do that on the website. I believe you have to first select the 3.73 rear end before the HD Payload option will display in the options. You can certainly order an XLT with Chrome (that's what I bought), but not with the HD Payload - that's my understanding.

I have a dealer working on this for me. He called me last night with some more info.
I can't get the Lariat with HD payload/ HD tow load. I have to get it in the XLT. All of that will put E rated tires on the truck, which is a big plus as far as I'm concerned. I believe the GVWR will be in the neighborhood of 9400# and the GCWR will be around 15400#, These are both kind an estimate seeing as we haven't been able to add the extras yet that a person might want. We will have to see what he comes up with on the chrome package.

Lloyd,

Nothing I saw on the Ford official website indicated a GCWR of 9,400 lbs. Isn't that in the 3/4 ton truck range?

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:35 AM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgpo

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenannie
Old Farmer. I believe you have to add the HD Payload option and it's not obvious how to do that on the website. I believe you have to first select the 3.73 rear end before the HD Payload option will display in the options. You can certainly order an XLT with Chrome (that's what I bought), but not with the HD Payload - that's my understanding.

I have a dealer working on this for me. He called me last night with some more info.
I can't get the Lariat with HD payload/ HD tow load. I have to get it in the XLT. All of that will put E rated tires on the truck, which is a big plus as far as I'm concerned. I believe the GVWR will be in the neighborhood of 9400# and the GCWR will be around 15400#, These are both kind an estimate seeing as we haven't been able to add the extras yet that a person might want. We will have to see what he comes up with on the chrome package.

Lloyd,

Nothing I saw on the Ford official website indicated a GCWR of 9,400 lbs. Isn't that in the 3/4 ton truck range?
Art:
Isn't it wonderful what they can do with a 1/2 ton truck??? Plus there is much more the owner with after market products can do!!

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:02 AM   #43
Full Time Camper

FirstI have nothing against 1/2 ton trucks, my wife drives one but with most people out there in a year or two you will get the 2 footitis and want a bigger trailer with more slide outs and more conveniences and more weight. Problem is you are maxed out on your 1/2 ton truck and cannot upgrade unless you upgrade trucks. Now I am not saying everyone will do this butI know a lot of us on here have. I guess my approach has always been to over buy my trucks knowing in a few years we will probably be looking to upgrade our trailer. To each is own and if I was sure I would never pull more than a mid sized TT or small light 5th wheelI would probably own a 1/2 ton but I would know I would be limited as to what I could or could not tow properly. We started with a 3/4 ton and have now progressed to a 1 ton dually knowing our next unit will be a more upper end heavy trailer. Just my $.02 for whatit is worth.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:25 AM   #44
Site Team

Keith, I agree with you 100 percent. With that being said, I don't ever intend to go bigger with the RV. Been there done that. We don't need anything bigger then what we have at the present. You younger bucks will more then likely continue to upgrade to bigger units. I had the HH, which is why I have the Duramx. Sure I could continue to haul with the present truck, But I really don't need all the horses and the beef, plus I'm getting tired of the diesel stench and the clatter. Another thing that really irritates the heck out me is the cost of diesel fuel. It use to be you bought diesel for less then gas, now it's the other way around, and it cost less to refine then gas. Try and figure that one out.
Besides, Barb told me awhile back----Honey you should get yourself a new truck, you deserve it!!

Old 10-16-2012, 04:34 AM   #45
Family Vacation Member

Since we only pull 5000 lbs currently with our ST 20 CK, we bought the Eco. We bought that truck with the thought that someday in the future, we may want a little bigger trailer, and we didn't want to buy another truck. I really don't want anything bigger than 25-26 ft, and don't really care if we have a slide out (even though that's likely going to be pretty much standard). So for us, we can pull substantially more weight than we have now and should be set for many years to come.

I agree - most people should plan ahead when buying their tow vehicle.

https://www.treehousewellness.com/Pho...amper/F150.jpg
mikenannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #46
Full Time Camper

Lloyd,
I think Keith and others with 2011 or newer diesels will agree that the stench and clatter are gone. Even my 2009 has no stench.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #47
Site Team

mark5w, I see you got a new 5er. Have you had a chance to do any towing of it with your new Eco boost??

Old 10-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #48
Site Team

Thursday is the scheduled day to pick up my new Crossroads. (My daughter is due any day now and that could delay the pickup). Will let you know Thursday night how the tow goes. Will be stopping at a CAT scale on the way home and will give you the numbers. Just picked up the ecoboost last week and have been trying to get around 1000 miles on it before I pick up rv. Almost there 806 miles on so far and Grumbine's rv at Hershey is another 90 miles for me.
I do plan to install a Firestone airbag and change the rear end lube and transmission oil to a synthetic.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #49
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Lloyd,
Nice article in the latest copy of Trailer Life on page 60 about Bully Dog doing some testing on the F150 Ecoboost. It's an intersting read at the least.

Be well,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #50
Site Team

mark5w
Now you can give us/me the long awaited results for your Eco Boost.
How did it like that 5er, and what were your weights at the cat scale?

Old 11-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #51
Weekend Camper

2013 32RL. I get 10 MPG usually, +/- 1MPG depending on the wind.

Spartanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #52
Site Team

Nice looking setup!! Doesn't look like you have the HD tow, or HD payload package???

Old 11-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #53
Site Team

Drum roll please.

Picked up the Patriot 10-25-12 right when the forum went down. But here's the facts jack.
Loaded 5th, included 50 gallons of water:
CAT scale results: Steer axel 3950
Drive axel 4710
Trailer axel 7810
Gross weight 16470

That included full tank of gas, myself, my wife,
Chloe our 13 lb Westie and a stocked trailer.

Towed like a charm, often had to look in rear-view mirror to see that it was there.
No sway, shimmy, bounce or vibration. On the 77 mile return trip home the truck averaged 9.8 mpg.(42 miles of I 81/78 and 35 miles of hilly state road. Only had about 1000 miles on new truck.
Rear of truck dropped about 1". Still do not have the airbag on truck, and headlights were not blinding oncoming traffic.
At a intersection close to home the twin turbo's spun the rear tires from a dead stop and surprised me a little bit.
Have it winterized and unfortunately will not be using it until next spring. The east coast storm changed our mind about camping last week.
By the way, I don't know if I have the 2 year warranty or the new warranty. Dealer is still trying to get an answer from Crossroads.

Edited by: mark5w

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 11-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #54
Site Team

WOW!! You did have a little weight there, didn't you?? Nice to hear a good report like that. Thank you.
If you have the the Reese hitch, save your money on air bags. They won't work. Darn things mount in the same holes on the frame as the hitch brackets.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #55
Site Team

I have a Pullrite Superslide. Hope that it didn't mount in same holes.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #56
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Nice looking setup!! Doesn't look like you have the HD tow, or HD payload package???

Thanks! No HD payload or tow package. I liked the Platinum model and I couldn't find any with the MaxTow in my area and I couldn't pass up the deal I got on this one. Rated for 9,800 lbs. I'm 7,688 dry and I never carry water unless we're boon docking.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #57
Site Team

I would certainly ask some questions before ordering. I call MI. Spring, and got lucky enough to have some one answer that has the ford Eco. He gave me that info, he went with Timbrens on his truck.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #58
Site Team

[/QUOTE]

Thanks! No HD payload or tow package. I liked the Platinum model and I couldn't find any with the MaxTow in my area and I couldn't pass up the deal I got on this one. Rated for 9,800 lbs. I'm 7,688 dry and I never carry water unless we're boon docking.[/QUOTE]
You can't get the HD packages on the Platinum. Only comes on the XLT.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:38 AM   #59
Weekend Camper

Quote:

You can't get the HD packages on the Platinum. Only comes on the XLT.

I'm not sure about the HD payload, but I know you can get the Max Tow package because I've seen the huge mirrors on other Platinum models before.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #60
Site Team

I wouldn't bank on the big mirrors being any indication that it had the HD tow package.