Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
New Camper

2008 Seville 36SB Water Heat bypass - Leaking?

I've winterized our Seville every year for the past four years - without issue.

This year (like the last), when purging the lines with "the pink stuff..." I get trickle of anti-freeze from the water heater drain plug (I typically leave it out til next season).

Last year I thought I had over-rotated the valve, this I noticed there is a stop that prevents that.

my procedure is to drain main water tank and water heater. Close the main tank drain and put in a couple gallons of AF, then open the drains at the water panel. Close the drains, and using the RV water pump, purge the line from main tank to outside shower handle (at water panel), cold side only.

After that I just put the bucket of AF with syphon down, turn the HWH bypass and purge each of the sinks/toilet. When I get back outside the HWH drain is running pink (I don't recall this happening prior to last year).

I am I doing it wrong?

Is it possible my HW bypass is leaking? (wouldn't I see there elsewhere with warm cold water or heater running all the time?)

I hate crawling behind that water panel, I'm hoping this is a procedural error - any of you had a similar experience?
Diesel_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Maybe you stripped the handle, however I would think bypassing the hot water heater would still get you pink antifreeze out of the HW plumbing system drain
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

You may only have 2valves to turn on the by pass with a check valve on the upper hot exit of the heater. This check valve could be not working properly . Unscrew it from the heater and see if there is some calcium blocking it from closing . Or get a new one .

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater bypass, winterizing