Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2009, 06:06 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

We have put about 7000 miles on the Kingston and have problems with the Kingston hammering when I let up on the foot feed and have been trying to find the reason for the problem. The hitch we have the locking is a slide bar and where the slide bar goes across thekingpin it shows wear, I believe that is allowing too much play in the lock up. Has anyone else noticed any wear on the Kingpin?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Is a reese 15K?? I have this hitch, and after a while it started doing that. I found that at some time I had not seated the bar all the way either hooking up or unhooking. I found this bar not closing all the way. Took the hitch out took a large and I mean a LARGE hammer , and knocked it back into place. This went away for me. I now make certain that the king pin is free and in place. It happened one time when I had the trailer too high and high hitched it be came apparent real quick, put down the landing geat pulled the lever and lowered the unit more. If you do not have a nylon ring I would put one of these into place. I have seen where some dealers have not installed the rails right, and they have backed off check the mounting bolts here also

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

fhenn, yes it is a reese 15K, thanks for the information, in checking with someone we know that works on the 5ers he says we will not use this hitch on the size we have.He is uncomfortable with the small blade for the lock up and feels the hitch is a little light.

Weare going to a 16k it will have full locking jaw.

The king pin is worn very bad and will need replacing.

Edited by: jaallen1
Old 11-12-2009, 06:38 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I trust that you mean the capturing jaws on the hitch, and not the king pin on the fifth wheel???

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

king pin is worn, the tech thinks the steel may be soft and yes the capturing jaws on the Rease 15k is also worn.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I would think that if the king pin on the trailer is that worn it would be a warranty Item. I would also think that this would be a safety issue and That CrossRoads should be made aware of it

Old 11-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I think you are correct we will be pursuing that in a warranty claim. This unit has had a lot of problems I hope we are getting things under control.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Do you greese your kingpin and how level is your camper? Are you high in the nose? Is your break controler set high enough?
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

The dealer where we purchased the Kingston we ask about greasing the kingpin and he said not I have also ask a dealer near us he said the same but I am not sure that is correct so when we get this corrected I think I will grease the kingpin.

The nose is not high

The brake controller is set I think good, but pulling in the hills with todays transmission it down shifts going down a hill without the use of a brake, which does cause the 5er to hit on the kingpin. With the other truck it did not down shift, had to use brake.