Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Had a blow out today. Did you know that when than happens it tears out all of your propane, electric, and dc lines. Now if we could just figure out which one to attach to what and what happens if we are wrong. Right now we have no propane, no refrigerator, no microwave, and no patience.:-)
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley
Had a blow out today. Did you know that when than happens it tears out all of your propane, electric, and dc lines. Now if we could just figure out which one to attach to what and what happens if we are wrong. Right now we have no propane, no refrigerator, no microwave, and no patience.:-)
One of the main reasons I went with a TPMS system. I hope it will catch a tire before it becomes a trailer ripper. Some say they can see their trailer tires but I have not been able to get mirrors that can see all four tires. Plus the damage can be done in a matter of minutes. I just hope the TPMS will allert me before you would even be able to tell a tire was going flat by looking at it.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I am not sure anything will alert you to a sudden blowout. The tire wasn't low, evidently just ran over something.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Shirley
That is the first response to those who have blow outs on the road. Not to say that when you started it was not low but I must say that if you would have picked up a nail along the way just a slow leak will lower the tire pressure.... Tire gets hot pressure goes up ... Nor maybe you hit something in the road and or just plain failure. BUT with some kind of tire pressure monitoring you know in 10 seconds or so you have a tire problem.

I think the time it happens and you find out it has happened can prevent lots of damage. I have the pressure pro system, and there are others on the market that are just as good, for the only reason as a peace of mind I know the pressure in the trailer and truck as well. The wife runs through them on a regular just to see if there are any that are much higher than the others. The system will alert me when there is a change or 10%.

Just my two cents on the subject

Old 07-08-2010, 01:33 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

We were just discussing that this morning. May have to invest in a monitor. The truck came with one! May just get away from the whole situation and get rid of this camper. The wiring being where it is is not a good design. Blown tires should not take out the electric, dc an propane lines. This camper has been a problem from day one. Not giving up fulltiming, just may give up on the Kingston.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:48 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

We have an '08 kingston 33' 5th wheeland just recently have had 3 (THREE) blowouts from the original set of tires.One back in May, and two the same day in July. All of the tires came with the unit when we purchased it at the end of '07. We also, lost the gas line to the stove and refrig., wiring to the microwave, refrig., lights on the slide out, the wiring and hose support for the slide, damage to the water fill hose, insulation damage, slide support damage, skirting damage on both sides, and brake line damage when the tread section wrapped around the axel,not to mention several hours waiting on the side of the highway for the emergency road service to bring new tires and install them.

All of the tires [2007]were properly inflated to the mfg. recomendations, had plenty of tread left. they did not go flat, they blew out while underway. We were not overloaded, and there was nothing on the road surface when they blew. So far as I am aware, there is no recall on these tires.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:51 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

What brand of tires were you running?

2006 Chevy Duramax

2006 Malibu Vride
canacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

We just had our second blowout today. Less than 10,000 miles on them. New camper we have had for 11 months. Our tires are the original equipment.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

The tires are Mission TC 108 Tubeless, 10PR Load Range E, Radial S/T, ST235/80 R16, with DOT 4YB3 CQ1C (2007). I would never use thisbrand of tire again. (Madein CHINA).

Old 09-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Ours are also made in China.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

The Missions are junk. Ours did not make 5k miles and two started to seperate as we pulled up to the house from a trip. I replaced them with BFG Commercial TA LT load range E tires and don't have to watch my mirrors driving down the road pulling the trailer anymore. I have a HawksHead TPMS on orderso I can keep an eye on the tireswhen towing.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote