Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Seamed there wasn't many of us who had Kingstons. Wondering who stil has one or any new owners?
2008 Club Cart Precedent
https://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...olfcart2-1.jpg
Cajun TBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

"Jim and Gloria" forum user name still has theirs. They had it at the Texas rally earlier this year.

Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

We bought a new 2010 less than a year ago because of the floor plan and construction. Ours is a rear kitchen with 2 doors... LOVE IT!!!

MAR&JWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Hunter, How are ya'll doing over there? We are hunkered down, winds blowing, light rain, waiting to see if the storm will pass over us or around??????? Cranked up the 25 K generator. have it idling on standby. lights have flickered a few times but have not gone out yet.
I finally got the front end of the camper looking good. Used a Polyglo product and installed a new decal.

Now if we can stop blowing up tires we will be ok. Had another blow out Monday on the way home from Alabama. Went to a grandson's birthday party and watched him hit the winning run in a championship baseball playoff. Gold Metal, Plack and all.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Jim, I sent you an email a few minutes ago but all I had was your work address. Check it if you can.

Get you a set of BFG Commercial LT (not the recall ones) tires and you won't have that problem anymore.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
New Camper

We just bought a 2008 35GB in June and are loving it.

2006 GMC 2500 HD SLT

2008 Kingston 35GB

Grandkids a-plenty

& one annoying Yorky
TheCampbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Great to hear that you got a Kingston. I hope that you will enjoy it as much as we have enjoyed ours. Two things you should check. First, make sure that you do not have "Mission" tires made in China. Our original tires were "Mission" tires and 3 of the 4 blew out on us in 2010and damaged both sides of the camper. Second, check and see where the 120 to 12 volt inverter is located. We found ours under the water filter assembly. If I had changed the filter at that time, water would have spilt on top of it. I moved ours to the wall away from the filter and piping.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:31 AM   #8
New Camper

Thanks for the heads up. I had already checked the location of the inverter, based on some comments I had seen on another forum. Ours is already wall mounted, so no concerns there. We do have the Mission tires and plan to replace them next spring before things "heat up" here in Texas.

I have some questions about the Kingston if anyone wants to share their opinions and knowledge.

I know very little about Kingston and as far as I know have never seen one until I bought this one in June. What happened to the brand - it appears it is no longer being built? What's the overall quality of a Kingston? It appears to be pretty solid, and based on some of the features, I think it's at least a mid-range or better brand as far as quality is concerned. Am I correct or just overly optimistic because I own one?

2006 GMC 2500 HD SLT

2008 Kingston 35GB

Grandkids a-plenty

& one annoying Yorky
TheCampbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:43 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

The Kingston was only manufactured for 2 or 3 years. Wish they had continued with it. It was replaced with the Rushmore. I just this morninglooked over several Rushmores and did not care for any of them (too much wasted space). I looked at several Cruisers as well and I believe that the Kingston was the better choice. I only wish they had put better tires on them. My last camper was a 27' Playmor and the tires on that unit lasted 10 years with NO problems. Wish I could remember what tires I had on that unit. I would put the same brand on this one.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

still have mine. Just got back from 2 weeks on the Oregon Coast.

Saw our first Redwood, but the owner was not too kean on some of the quality issues and customer service (before crossroads took it over). Big suckers though.

Wish they would have kept the Kingston, nothing has really replaced it in the Crossroads line.

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I think we have one of the last ones made. Ordered it in the
spring of 2010 came in as a 2011 model. 30SB. I like the 10" frame and the huge basement storage area. The mission tires have held up very well for us. We have pulled to Az. from Ill. for 2 winters and planning another trip this year. Very few problems with this unit. We ordered the glacier pack additional insulation. Not too much help but we are able to keep warm with temps in the teens some mornings. I too wish they still made this model, I'mnot convinced the crusiers are as liviable and the redwood are bigger than we really want. Not going to trade for awhile so we'll wait and see whats out there when we are ready. We did put a new mattress in , the orginial was not much.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

On Saturday Sept.22, I saw my first Kingston, aside from the one we have, headed north on I-25 near Cheyenne, WY. Was it someone on the forum?

Old 09-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Wish it was us. Still down in South Louisiana. Would love to be up in that territory.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

You can still get here... the fall colors haven't peaked yet!

Old 09-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Can't get free until Thanksgiving. And she has other plans. Enjoy it for us.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

This is what bragging will get you, our daughter was visiting us for thanksgiving,sleeping in the Kingston, plugged in a hair dryer and seems to have blown the converterWe also had to replace the mission tires,but we had close to 20,000 on them after 3 yr so really not to bad. Planning on leaving Ill. for Ca then back to Az. for the winter next Monday, probably going to pull 2 hrs to the dealer Wed to get the converter fixed then back home to pack on thur and Fri and leave by Mon. Still like the Kingston I'm hoping the converter is OK and it is a smaller problem. We have looked at the Rushmore also. Not impressed, don,t need a 35' unit. Happy Trails as Roy used to say and everyone stay safe.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Make sure that it was the inverter. It might have been only the Ground Fault Receptical. Our GF receptaclewent out on us and it killed everything on the kitchen side of the unit including power to the inverter. The one on the bathroom side is still fine and has given us no problems. The dealership replaced the GF receptacle at no cost to us.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Hey, Thanks for the tip I'll check that this morning. It acts pretty weird.
still have 12 volt but the 120 is going on and off.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

I would vote for the GFI

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Well, after more testing and talking with the dealer tech, it is the converter, only reading 9 should be 13. Pretty simple swap out a clutz like me can handle it so a quick trip in the car and $336 later a new 100 volt converter will be in place. Still make that target date of Monday for Ca. here we come.