Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Well this year I got 'er done without much hassle. The 3 blue valves in the water compartment apparently are as everyone has said, two for low point drain and the one marked "winterizing" is to direct the input flow on the pump from fresh water to anti-freeze line. As far as I know Crossroads does NOT provide the anti-freeze line. I went to buy the cheapest garden hose I could and they were all removed for winter stuff.....except a 6' line with a faucet attachment for extending outside faucet access. I didn't cut the line and 6' worked just fine. There are two valves behind the kitchen panel for the hot water heater bypass. One was hidden behind a water line. After I opened the low point drains I opened the faucets for the washer and dryer (I have neither) to make sure those lines drained. I installed the hot water heater valve shown on the upgrades and mods section. After I winterized I removed the battery and that is a back breaker. You have to lean way inside the front compartment and then lift straight up. The worst part is looking at it everyday knowing we just put it into hibernation for 6 months.

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I feel for you as I have about one month left before I do the same.....it is a real bummer coming home in the winter time and seeing the camper sitting there looking lonely.....

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:56 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

calliopeguy, did you use air to blow out the water lines first and than antifreeze? How much antifreeze did it take?

The reason I ask is we will be using the Kingston at Thanksgiving in IL be camping for around seven days.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

jaallen1 - I used 3 gallons. That is more than required but the stuff is under $3/gallon so I'm not taking any chances. I did NOT use air to blow out the lines. I had 5th wheels since 1995 and not have had a problem yet.....well I did too. I completely filled a water filter cannister with anti-freeze and it froze and split anyway....hard to believe...the thing is about 1/4" thick plastic. Dealer said I should not have used "that cheap anti-freeze" (Menards) so go buy your own replacement cannister. Contacted the factory (Alumascape), sent me a replacement no problem...have no idea why it froze...hell of a mess when it thawed in the spring. I now have my water filter permanently bypassed....will use external if I think I need one. So my procedure:

1. open low point drains (2 blue valves in water compartment and one screw on cap under rig near sewer outlet for fresh water drain).

2. Turn on pump. Open each faucet one at a time and flush toilet to remove any left-over water. Turn pump off.

3.Remove hot water heater plug or open valve if you have one (not standard)

4. Open both faucets on washer/dryer in bedroom to allow water to escape (I don't have a washer/dryer but faucets are still there)

5. Unscrew panel in kitchen to expose hot water heater bypass valves. Turn two valves opposite of whatever they are now.

6. Close all three low point drains

7. Turn blue valve in water compartment to "Winterize". That will change input to the pump from fresh water to anti-freeze line.

8. Screw on piece of hose to middle water connector (Anti-freeze)

9. Insert loose end of hose into anti-freeze bottle

10. Tell wife to turn on pump.

11. Tell wife to turn on one faucet at a time until solid pink fluid comes out.

12. Flush toilet until solid anti-freeze shows.

13. Turn on outside shower (hot and cold) until solid anti-freeze comes out.

14. Use any anti-freeze left over to pour down shower drain, toilet, bathroom sink, and kitchen sink.

15. Turn blue "winterize" valve back to not winterize so you don't forget in spring.

16. Go into the house and commence whining cuz camping season is over....deal with it

Last but not least...I am not a trained professional but I live in Minnesota. Sometimes it gets cold here and I haven't lost a camper yet to the elements. However, there may be somethng I've missed...or actually did but forgot to list it above, or something that could be done better, or something that Iactually did wrongso additional comments or suggestiions are welcome.

Thanksgiving in IL??? Don't they have winter?

We camped one night in 4 below in Kansas....actually wasn't too bad

Hope above helps help

Ken

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
Old 09-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
Hope you did the hot and cold pipes for the washer and just forgot to put it in your list!

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

One thing you may have missed is to ensure that anti-freeze is in the small section of the city supply line where it supplies water to the system. While the system is pressurized with anti-freeze (pump may be off or on at your discretion), remove the inlet screen from your city supply connection and GENTLY depress the check valve with your finger tip until anti-freeze comes out.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500 D/A
2009 CF31MK
JT Strongarm Stabilizers
Demco Glide Ride
Blue Sky Energy Solar Boost 2000E MPPT Controller
billyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

calliopeguy, thanks for your list, I disconnected the washer lines so I will not have to mess with them as I do not use them,now there is no chance for a water leak.

Yes, they (camping at my in-laws) have winter in IL but we will have a large group of people at their place, we have found that camping gives us some space and as far as the temperatureit should not get below 15deg.Looking at the basement of the SKI think I will need a heat lamp with a 40 watt bulb in that area and cover the windows with bubble wrap as this unit does nothave as much insulation as our other cr.

billyrabbit, I would think that if I would use air before I use the antifreeze that would take care of the city water supply line what do you think?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

GeorgeC - Are you referring to something other than point #4 on my list?

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
Old 09-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

No. Sorry I missed that.

On edit: Did you get antifreeze through those lines?Edited by: GeorgeG

Old 09-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

GeorgeC - Ya know, my wife asked that same question. Now I gotta go out there, crawl over the bed, and look to see if there is any anti-freeze in the washer/dryer lines. Guess it wouldn't make any difference, either full of anti-freeze or empty but I'm just curious.

Ken

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
Old 09-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I ask because I forgot about mine last year and then I emembered after everything was put away.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

"Last but not least...I am not a trained professional but I live in Minnesota. Sometimes it gets cold here and I haven't lost a camper yet to the elements."
Cold? I don't think there has been a time yet when we visit in the winter that the temp doesn't drop to at least 20-below, but you don't hear me complaining The new 09 diesel is still a bit cold blooded, but not as bad as my 04 when it gets that cold....

Old 09-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

jaallen - Disconnect the washer/dryer lines? That would be a good thing for me to do. The thought of those faucets opening or even lightly leaking in the bedroom closet does not present a pretty picture. How/where did you disconnect them? I also took a long hard look at that stupid huge sheet of plastic in the basement that bows way out and decided that has got to be modified. It looks like a simple modification to cut a notch on top to allow the pipe trap to hang out. Then the plastic could fit flush against the compartment wallwhich would allow about 30% more use of the basement. I noticed my power converter looks like it was just thrown in and screwed down where it landed. Unfortunately the 110vac power cable sticks out into the basement just enough to make me have to move the thing. With my luck it is a critical position and moving it would force a mounting screw to end up in one of the holding tanks or something. That will be a next spring thing unless we get some more warm weather yet this fall.

gossamer - What "mods" have you done to your truck?

Ken

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
Old 09-29-2009, 02:12 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Disconnect the washer/dryer lines? We were also concerned about leaking in the basement,

The lines can be disconnected in the basement next to the wall, I was having problems with getting the lines loose so I cut the pic pipe above the connection and added a pic shutoff on both lines. I got the picfitting and cap to shut it offat Lowes.

Stupid huge sheet of plastic in the basement, I removed the sheet of plastic and cut the bottom off enough(it doesn't need to be that tall anyway)and replaced it. I can now remove the water filter or vac filter,alsocan look over the top without removing the plastic sheet and see if every thing is ok. gossamer As far as the truck I have not modified the truck It is aFord Power Stroke, in the mountains it will pull down but I am in no hurry and I would not want the company to claim if Ihad problems, it was because of the changes. I had that happen to us with our Dodge truck.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Well, the only thing I have done to mine is a Banks intake and DFP back monster exhaust due to warranty concerns as well. In talking with my diesel mechanic he said that is about as far as he would take it before Ford would start to question. I also did install a Edge Evolution programer, but I have left it on the stock setting as I use if for monitoring of engine parameters. It was the only thing available a year ago that could monitor the EGT temps without having to drill the exhaust manifold. The new computers do store a code that cannot be erased under normal circumstances. Spartan programmers supposingly have figured this out, but I have not taken the plunge yet, nor do I think I will. I have been reading information about the new 6.7 scorpion motor and it looks pretty promising, as the only real complaint I have is the mileage on this truck. So far, both of my oil samples that I have sent to Blackstone have come back pretty clean.