Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #1
New Camper

2016 ST330BH 2nd A/C installation

Good evening all.

We have had this travel trailer going on 3 seasons now. I am interested (more like going to add!) in adding a second A/C unit. Trailer is 50AMP, has power wires up front by roof vent, has thermostat control wires also. Who knows where the thermostat wires dead end in what wall? Pulled existing thermostat and did not find second set of wires.

My local dealer wants to just hook up a conventional a/c and basically sell me the control package in addition.

Thanks in advance.

Dodge 2500 - Sunset Trail 330BH, the perfect pair.
Tonyl630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:17 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I installed a second AC in my Seville. The vent was prewired for the second AC but the thermostat wire was not run to the access box in the vent area. The duct work was accessible. Your choice to tie into the duct work or not ( I didn't). Most prefer the thermostat on the face of the unit and run the unit in the bedroom only prior to using the area for sleeping or to aid in overall cool down of the unit. Most would shut it off at night as they don't prefer the noise while they are sleeping.
You could pull your own thermostat wire if you wish. My vent access area had a Rain Vent and the wire did not have enough conductors to switch out my vent control thermostat to a Cooling AC thermostat.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
New Camper

Thanks for the info. Pulled my roof vent and AWESOME! Mine does have the duct work there, also has the wire running for thermostat. Going to check pricing and chose something quick. We do a lot of beach camping and want the family comfortable at night.

Dodge 2500 - Sunset Trail 330BH, the perfect pair.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:13 PM   #4
New Camper

Where did you find the other end of the thermostat wire? Im looking to add a wall thermostat to my second ac. The thermostat wire is pre ran but I don't know where it runs to in the wall.

Thanks
sstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #5
New Camper

Our wires were behind the radio. Remove radio and look for thermostat wire. I hooked a wire tracer and tone generator up to the wires in the ceiling. Power was already there - just had to flip the breaker.

Contemplated on using a dual zone thermostat. Bought another standard thermostat and mounted to the wall in the bed room.

One note. While you're in there make sure you insulate and tape off the roof - a/c was escaping from not being sealed. Their assemblers did a POOR job on mine. If I would have known that I may not have needed to purchase a second unit.