Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Adding a second AC

Good day good people. I have a 2017 ST320BH and I live in Arizona so pretty much I live in hell. That being said, the current AC is not adequate for cooling down even the living area. It is ducked through the RV so I was hoping to add one to the master bedroom and another to the bunkhouse. It is a 30 amp system. Thank you for any info.
Baguak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

As you explore this topic, you'll find several threads and internet stories. They seem to go in two directions. The "factory" solution is to upgrade your TT to a 50 amp service, complete with heavy wire, plug, bigger box, etc. Many have come up with an alternate solution, where the second AC is fed by it's own 20 amp line, it's own circuit breaker and box, and on to a separate line cord terminated by a "regular" 20 amp plug. It works at pedestals that have both a 30 amp socket and a 20 amp socket.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree with Marty, the most practical solution is to wire the 2nd A/C as an independent 20 amp circuit. Most owners are able to snake the 120V AC wire from the roof vent thru the ceiling to a nearby closet and then down thru the floor or thru the exterior wall with a twist lock connector.

Adding a 3rd A/C will be much more work if you upgrade the main service from 30 amp to 50 amp. An alternative would be to make a sort of cheater box that plugs into the camp pedestal 50 amp outlet. The box has it's own 30 amp outlet for the RV cord to plug into and then another 20 amp outlet for the 3rd A/C. Each outlet would need it's own circuit breaker as well. In reality, I doubt a 3rd A/C would be needed.

Finally, I recommend the 2nd A/C should be a direct discharge model rather than tying it into the existing duct work. First off, the existing duct probably doesn't run all the way to the bedroom roof vent unless your unit was prewired for a 2nd A/C. But the biggest issue is the size of the duct and the number of ceiling vents may be insufficient for the increased air flow of 2 units (or 3 units ) running at the same time. Dometic requires a double 'H' pattern for the duct work and 8 ceiling vents. While my unit was prewired, it only had 5 vents and a single duct leg in the bedroom area. Also, there are likely some leaks, however small in the duct. Anyway, why add that 2nd and maybe 3rd cooling unit and have the blowers fighting each other to move air thru too little ducting/vents.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:07 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Is the bunk room in a slide? If so this may be impossible or close to it. The bed room should not be to hard if you have an inside wall close to the vent. Need for the thermostat and fishing 120 wire .
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

What size AC do you currently have? I would go with the extra 20 amp circuit. I would also add a 15K BTU AC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner