Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

We are looking at the option of adding a second ac. Last year we spent a lot of time camping in 95 deg temperatures and our Paradise 35ck 15btu ac could not keep up during the day.

Our unit is prep for a second unit in the bedroom with wiring, sensor and t-stat with multi zone.

Here are our questions

1. What brand would you go with, size, heat?

2. How does ducting work? can i still use one ac if the demand for the second is not needed?

3. What kind of costs can i look at to get it done?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

08 PF35CK

2015 Denali 3500

B&W Companion
albertacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I think if you are going to be in 90* + temps you are going to need a second AC unit.

1) For the sake of clearance I would go with a low profile unit. We are looking at new units and I am pricing them with a Duo-Therm Penguin low profile for the front. 13.k btu should work fine for the front with the 15k in the living area. We camp in temps to 105* in the Summer and that works fine for us.

2) Yes you can just use one AC unit at a time, we do it all the time. If it is hot out we use both units but at night we usually just use the one in the living area after it cools down.

3) I am going to take a guess and say abot $1k for the AC unit and install. You would just have to check around and see who gives you the best deal.

Hope this helps.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I have 2 15K units in my PP, both dometic, and the front is a standard size my unit is 13'4 tall, it has never caused any problems for me, but I do stay on the interstates, I went with the 15K because the price was not thar different than the 13.5K I did pay extra to get the unit that is ducted and not the standard blow down type, I didn't want the cold air blowing directly on the bed, as far as a heat strip, I didn't get it, I don't think a heat strip in a unit that big would do any good, as far as the 2nd A/C unit goes it was worth every dime, I have 4 slide unit and one would not work.....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Carrier makes the (IMHO) the best low profile RV AC units in the world. I would suggest you find one on EBay or your local CW.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Also a few years ago i got a carrier ac from RVW they were the cheapest i could find.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:46 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I had the second a/c added at the factory for $961. It connected to the ducts and existing thermo. It is a low profile dometic 13k really works well as a a/c or meat cooler.
2008 Club Cart Precedent
https://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...olfcart2-1.jpg
Cajun TBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I added a Carrier 15k with the heat strip. I didn't tie it into the existing duct work. I did the installation myself. I think I payed around $500 for the unit. It wasn't a bad job. Works great! It also allows me to just cool the bedroom if I'm running of of my genrator.

<font color=BROWN>2006 33RL Paradise Point</font>

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...amper/33rl.jpg
CamperNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I will be adding a second A/C in the bedroom before this next trip. CW seems to be in the best price over some of the other RV places here. Both long trips we have taken over the past two years the single AC was doing at it could to keep things cool. So I figure one more can help during the day. I think the low profile is a good choice as it would be sitting at the higest point of the trailer. Hope CW has a sale in the next few months or a free install.

george