Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2022, 09:35 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Anyone know where to locate a Service Manual (not Owners Manual)

Hello all, I have recently aquired a 2018 253RB Crossroads Sunset Trail. I am wanting to add a 120V electrical plug beside the table, right above the propane sensor, and am trying to find the best place to get power from. My options are to go from the kitchen plug, up the wall, across the chase that is buit into the top of that wall, over the bathroom door, and back down the wall to the plug. (would require building a chase above the bathroom door as well.) Problem with this aproach, is getting the wire around the black tank vent pipe, which fills the entire wall space.

Also could take power from the plug beside the couch, down through the floor, across to the length of the slide, & back up through the floor, that way seems easier, but very roundabout.

Third way, & likely easiest, is down from the breaker panel, aross the coach, & back up through the floor(inside the wall, obviously).

Anyway, the long rambling story, is to help explain why I would like to locate a "Service" manual, or whatever it is called, that will show things like the "Chase" at the top of the kitchen wall, so a person can find the best way to run new wiring without tearing everthing apart to find where it should be run. Anyone have insight on where to locate a service manual?
DannyZeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:49 PM   #2
Site Team

As far as I know a "Service Manual" does not exist. You may call Crossroads and ask them but I would doubt they have anything they would send you. If I am understanding correctly you want a blueprint of the wall assemblies. If you are not familiar with how campers in general are built there are a few videos on factory tours showing there construction. At one time we toured the Redwood plant and a Forest river plant and was suppressed how they are built.

As I stated give Crossroads/Keystone/Thor a call. The worst they can do is say no. Good Luck!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 10:11 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
As far as I know a "Service Manual" does not exist. You may call Crossroads and ask them but I would doubt they have anything they would send you. If I am understanding correctly you want a blueprint of the wall assemblies. If you are not familiar with how campers in general are built there are a few videos on factory tours showing there construction. At one time we toured the Redwood plant and a Forest river plant and was suppressed how they are built.

As I stated give Crossroads/Keystone/Thor a call. The worst they can do is say no. Good Luck!

Thanks for the response, I was hoping to find something specific to my RV, I plan a number of modifications, and it would be very nice to know, for example, if I could just pull a wire through the open floor space, or if there is something solid in my way, without having to pull the bottom off of the unit. Or, if there is someting directly under the wall space where I want to drill down through the floor, again, without pulling the bottom off, just to see if there is anything there.
DannyZeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:00 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Sadly, Crossroads has been crickets for me when I have contacted them for questions similar to yours. The dealer a little more help.

I'd go with the 3rd way myself.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:50 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
Sadly, Crossroads has been crickets for me when I have contacted them for questions similar to yours. The dealer a little more help.

I'd go with the 3rd way myself.
Yes, I am leaning towards the third way, unfortunately, I suffer from Menears disease(super dizzy/naseaus laying on my back looking up), which makes it extremely difficult to remove the coroplast. Suppose I could get someone else to do it.
Old 04-30-2022, 11:33 AM   #6
Site Team

The wiring and plumbing are at the discretion of the installer. Each one does it a little different.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 02:31 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZeee View Post
Hello all, I have recently aquired a 2018 253RB Crossroads Sunset Trail. I am wanting to add a 120V electrical plug beside the table, right above the propane sensor, and am trying to find the best place to get power from. My options are to go from the kitchen plug, up the wall, across the chase that is buit into the top of that wall, over the bathroom door, and back down the wall to the plug. (would require building a chase above the bathroom door as well.) Problem with this aproach, is getting the wire around the black tank vent pipe, which fills the entire wall space.

Also could take power from the plug beside the couch, down through the floor, across to the length of the slide, & back up through the floor, that way seems easier, but very roundabout.

Third way, & likely easiest, is down from the breaker panel, aross the coach, & back up through the floor(inside the wall, obviously).

Anyway, the long rambling story, is to help explain why I would like to locate a "Service" manual, or whatever it is called, that will show things like the "Chase" at the top of the kitchen wall, so a person can find the best way to run new wiring without tearing everthing apart to find where it should be run. Anyone have insight on where to locate a service manual?
The way they (all manufacturers) build these units is: NOTHING is common, therefore there is no such thing as a "Manual".

There is also no one that can tell you how they are built therefore nothing common, this a manual.

What I have done is figured out how I want to do it, with a lot of looking and thinking first with a tape measure and double checking measurements. Then I have carefully removed items (and only partially, a couple of nails etc) wall pieces, trim etc. routed my wires, sometimes fishing with a stiff wire and piece of string.

Most of the time I have been successful, to the point no one would know, except me. In one instance I made an error but never saw the mistake til all was done, and only I know what the issue is.

RV do NOT use standard electrical and plumbing parts sometimes you have to improvise.

Good luck

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:51 PM   #8
New Camper

Not gonna happen

We called and tried to get “blue prints” they definitely don’t share that info! Your best best is to look on you tube for what you are trying to do. Perhaps someone else has already done it. Good luck and enjoy your RV
wsbethea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:04 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

As others have stated, there is no such thing as a service manual or even wiring diagram.
I have done similar additions, and it can be troublesome.
I don't know the layout of your model, but here is some general advice.
Avoid outside walls, they are solid and thin. Your best bet in most cases is dropping the coroplast belly cover where you want to work, and make sure you can come through the floor where you want to. The bottom of the RV is made up of a lot of tanks and obstacles, so know where you are drilling.
The ceiling has a good amount of room to fish wires through, as long as you can avoid the A/C ductwork.
Good luck with your projects.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:06 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbethea View Post
We called and tried to get “blue prints” they definitely don’t share that info! Your best best is to look on you tube for what you are trying to do. Perhaps someone else has already done it. Good luck and enjoy your RV
Even by going on you tube you will not find any sort of common builds.

Again I say the RV are not built by any sort of blue print specs, outside of the chassis and it's components, and that is only to ensure they are built according to highway traffic regulations.

The "Box" is constructed by untrained, people, wiring, plumbing is all however that particular person decided to complete the job. And the next one the guy builds is probably different because it was the next one he/she did.

I am not dismissing the guy putting them together, they may have 20-30 years of experience or 20-30 days of experience. In some cases they may even be Trained RV Technicians, highly unlikely a qualified electrician or plumber or trained RV technician as that would mean higher wages more costs. There probably is at least 1 electrician, plumber for the entire build facility.

But good luck I stand by my first reply.

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:11 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

As you can see by these posts that it is highly unlikely you will find a manual for any trailer. If you are handy with a few tools and know a little about electrical you should be able to make your install.

Before cutting the hole in the wall make sure there is no stud directly behind it. That is structural and shouldn't be played with. If it is hollow then there should be no problem.

I'm not too familiar with your lay out but from looking at a picture of the floor plan your slide with the table attached is next to the bathroom. The wall to the bathroom is what I believe you are going to install the electrical to. That said, it is not an outside wall so this wall will be hollow. Actually on my trailer there is a 120av plug in that position about 10" above the floor.

IMHO, removing a few of the self taping screws that hold the coroplast in that area will let you see the area just below the wall. There may even be a 120vac wire already running in that area that you can splice into. There was on mine. In fact all the wires just lay on top of the coroplast and are not secured to anything. Take a few measurements, drill a couple of holes and run some wire and your there. Measure two or three times and cut once. Maybe measure four times.

Drill a 3/16" hole directly in front of and next to the wall you are going to mount the electrical. Run a coat hanger/wire through the floor. Measure over 1" or so and that should put you in the center of the wall. Cut a hole in at that point and cut a hole in the wall for your box. Run a fish tape up to the box and pull your wires through. Splice into an existing 120v line or run it over to the fuse box and do the same thing with cutting the hole in the floor to fish the wire. There may already be holes there that you can use so you may not have to take the coroplast off from that side. Use a little silicone to plug the holes and screw the coroplast back on.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:01 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakherder View Post
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the responses, this particular job is finished. Ended up using 2 rare earth magnets, one on either side of the coroplast, with a string tied to the magnet inside the camper. Just pulled the string through, then pulled the wire through with the string, easy as pie! There are still many other jobs needing to be done, just going to have to figure it out as I go, like everyone else.
Old 05-06-2022, 05:53 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

That's a neat trick. Good luck with your other projects.
Old 04-01-2023, 07:02 PM   #14
New Camper

Blueprints for Sunset Trail 253RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbethea View Post

We called Crossroads as well and asked for blueprints and Wireline layout and were told there are no such plans for owners. I told them that was extremely poor service and support for us owners. I was very disappointed, but she did answer a few questions that I did have. I really wish they would change this policy and publish these plans for us so I that we can see plumbing, wiring, services locations, layout, etc of our unit. It would help greatly in upgrades, maintenance and service to the RV.
CanadianDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:56 PM   #15
Site Team

They can publish all they want, but worker A wires different than worker B. There are no standards for wiring. That's the problem.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:18 PM   #16
New Camper

They don't want you to upgrade - they would prefer you buy a new unit with options. Just sayin'
PhilCee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, modifications, service, wiring