Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
New Camper

Has anyone upgraded their axles on their camper? We have a 2006 zinger with 3500 lb axles. We just found out that we have a bent axle. I'm wanting to upgrade to a heavier axle to prevent this. Camper has never been over weight. We have a weight distribution hitch with everything set up correctly. I believe dry weight is 6700 lbs and gross weight is 8200.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:01 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Yes, I changed out the Lippert twigs last year with a set my local machine shop ordered. Same 3500# rating but much sturdier (bigger tube diameter and thicker tube wall)I kept the factory spindles and brake drums and it was a $370 fix...I mounted the new axles myself.

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Are you sure they are bent from an accident? RV axles are normally bent a bit during the alignment checks. I know mine look bent (bowed might be a better term) but are actually "in" alignment.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
New Camper

My axles are out of alignment. I hate to spend the money to have them aligned and have it happen again in a few months. Second problem is I don't know any place local the aligns trailers. I'm going to load everything up and take my camper and truck to the local cat scales to double check my weight.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:15 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

There are instructions on Lippert's site on how to align the axles. If you have the proper tools: jack stands, torque wrench etc, you can do it. Now having said that I haven't done it but I would attempt it if I had to.

Good luck,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

we have a bent axle also . it is 3500 Lippet . it is the rear axle . it is bent upwards slightytabout 12 inches from the hub . we were thinking about changing over to a dexter axle . here is something for all of you to ponder . we took the RV to a local shop . he put his gauges on the rear axle and it showed the camber was off . the front axle is fine . we recently were on a 2500 mile trip and there isn't any signs of abnormal tire wear . i think we will keep as is . man at shop said , if tires are wearing fine , don't worry about it . just my 2 cents . hope all works out for you . how are your tires wearing?
2013 Ram 2500 HD Hemi
Pullrite super glide
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Tire wear is the key indicator of a bent axle. I had bent a rear axle when I blew a tire and did not realize the axle was bent for about 3 years. It was only when I noticed that the inside of the tire tread had worn down to the cord that I realized that I had a problem. An axle replacement was the only option. The axle shop owner told me that realigning axles can be done but only for slight misalignments of the camber, but if you have a tire failure and then the odds are that you've bent your axleenough to need replacement.

Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
Are you sure they are bent from an accident? RV axles are normally bent a bit during the alignment checks. I know mine look bent (bowed might be a better term) but are actually "in" alignment.

The slight bow in the axle tube is deliberate because the tube is part of the suspension system. If you were to lift your trailer so that all wheels are off the ground, then that tube bow would look quite obvious with the tire bottoms cambered in slightly. As you load the suspension, the springs and the axle flex and the axle tube bow becomes less obvious. The tireswill lookmore square to road surface. If this axle bow wasn't there, then the tires would camber out at the bottom once weight isapplied to the suspension. Unlike the old solid axles, the tube axleis designed to flex. Even though the springs take most of the shock load, the axle tube also takes some ofthat shock loadas well and if it gets a good hard shock then it's likely to bend.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
New Camper

I have a 2006 Zinger 32qb with similar axle issues. I noticed when my tires were wearing funny, after further investigation I have found that the axles are 3500 pounds each which are just about, if not maxed out with the weight of the trailer and personal belongings inside. My unit is currently at a trailer shop getting 5200 pound axles installed. The wheels/tires are also going larger from a 205/75-15, 5 lug to a 225/75-15, 6 lug. The cost of the upgrade is costing a little over $2,000 but I think this should eliminate any further issues.
tac5413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:59 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

My '04 has had a bent axle since I bought it in '06. The nylon tires that came from the factory were shot on the inside. I replaced the tires with LT radials and have not seen the abnormal tire wear. I also haven't had the opportunity to travel much either, I'm guessing around 4,000 miles since. When the kids are done running us all over the place I will have new axles put under it before heading out cross country. My opinion is, they engineer these things to "just get by". If your max load says 1500, I wouldn't put 1501 on it or you may be asking for trouble.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote