Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2022, 02:54 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Backup Camera Not Working

I installed a Furion backup camera on my new 2022 Sunset Trail 253RB. The camera is not working. The camera is less than a year old, and was recently removed from my previous trailer, where it worked great. The monitor is reading it's not receiving a signal.

This week I'll remove the camera from its mount and see if it's receiving 12V power. If it's not receiving power, has anyone had a similar problem. Some connection in the trailer has to be the issue.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 04:11 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post
I installed a Furion backup camera on my new 2022 Sunset Trail 253RB. The camera is not working. The camera is less than a year old, and was recently removed from my previous trailer, where it worked great. The monitor is reading it's not receiving a signal.

This week I'll remove the camera from its mount and see if it's receiving 12V power. If it's not receiving power, has anyone had a similar problem. Some connection in the trailer has to be the issue.

The power for the backup camera comes from your clearance lighting circuit. (Clearance lights not on, no camera workie, at least in my 253RB) Hope it is something that simple. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:09 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

The "cable" that that the camera hooks up to is likely not wired in to the clearance lights. Mine was not. Took a while to fish it out, and then the clearance lights were wired (or labeled) reverse polarity. Basically the pig tail that comes in the kits is usually tied to a wire it should have been connected to.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:44 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
The "cable" that that the camera hooks up to is likely not wired in to the clearance lights. Mine was not. Took a while to fish it out, and then the clearance lights were wired (or labeled) reverse polarity. Basically the pig tail that comes in the kits is usually tied to a wire it should have been connected to.
Any specific clearance light?
Old 05-08-2022, 06:31 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Any specific clearance light?

Clearance lights are all connected together, and your pigtail should be already wired from the factory. (probably to one of the 3 clearance lights directly above the Furrion prewire box)

If you have a meter(or even a 12 volt bulb with pigtails), check for power at the pigtail socket, if no power(there should not be, if your truck is not connected), connect your trailer plug to your truck, turn on your lights, & there should now be power.(and, a functional camera, once you plug it back in)
Old 05-08-2022, 07:14 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZeee View Post
Clearance lights are all connected together, and your pigtail should be already wired from the factory. (probably to one of the 3 clearance lights directly above the Furrion prewire box)

If you have a meter(or even a 12 volt bulb with pigtails), check for power at the pigtail socket, if no power(there should not be, if your truck is not connected), connect your trailer plug to your truck, turn on your lights, & there should now be power.(and, a functional camera, once you plug it back in)
Thanks Danny. I am an aircraft mechanic so figuring out power source is easy. I was hoping wire was under one specific clearance light.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:18 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I've not heard of any Furrion Prewires on CR trailers made in 2020 and beyond where the Furrion harness was actually connected. Even Furrion told me they have been bombarded with the similar questions.

The pigtail was tied in a knot around the wires between the right and center of the three top running lights on the back wall.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:54 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
I've not heard of any Furrion Prewires on CR trailers made in 2020 and beyond where the Furrion harness was actually connected. Even Furrion told me they have been bombarded with the similar questions.

The pigtail was tied in a knot around the wires between the right and center of the three top running lights on the back wall.
That is good to know, mine is the same RV as the OP, but a 2018, rather than a 2022. mine was connected to the clearance lights.

Makes one wonder, why bother with a prewire, if you are not going to prewire it?
Old 05-09-2022, 09:15 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:

Thanks Mark. As soon as the 70MPH wind gusts are over I'll get out my ladder and take a look.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:27 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:

If you have your lights on your truck set to auto, you will need to manually turn them on instead of auto. That will send power to the running lights, which will also power the camera.
mrtomallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 09:05 PM   #11
New Camper

My wire was tied around a green and white wire but it seemed to big of a wire. so, we thought that was going to the bathroom light. so we pulled the light above so we took the cover off the clearance light directly above the camera and we wired into it but we have no power to camera. so now I am thinking we was suppose to connect to the white and green wire. so do we connect to the white and green wire and if so can you please tell me which wire goes where because the camera has a black and red wire,
pmelhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 09:18 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtomallen View Post
If you have your lights on your truck set to auto, you will need to manually turn them on instead of auto. That will send power to the running lights, which will also power the camera.

I have auto headlamps on my 2013 Sierra and I just turn my fog lamps on as this also turns the park lamps on. More convenient when you shut your truck off.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 09:22 PM   #13
New Camper

Running lights

We have the running lights on. It is not on auto. I am thinking we should have connected to the white and green wire that the pig tail? connection was tied around but not sure.
pmelhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:57 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmelhorn View Post
My wire was tied around a green and white wire but it seemed to big of a wire. so, we thought that was going to the bathroom light. so we pulled the light above so we took the cover off the clearance light directly above the camera and we wired into it but we have no power to camera. so now I am thinking we was suppose to connect to the white and green wire. so do we connect to the white and green wire and if so can you please tell me which wire goes where because the camera has a black and red wire,
The camera red wire goes to the white/green clearance light wire. The camera black wire goes to the clearance light white wire.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:05 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

I want to thank everyone on this Forum who helped explain Cross Roads' incompetence in failing to connect the backup camera wiring to the Clearance Light wiring harness. I found out, as people said, that the camera wire was merely wrapped around the Clearance Light wiring harness, and not connected to power. I'm an aircraft mechanic, and it still took me a couple hours to find the appropriate wiring harnesses, and snake the wiring so I could get power to my backup camera. Working through the small hole behind the center Clearance Light was not easy. If I had been close to my dealer I would have taken my trailer back to them and let them charge Cross Roads for warranty work. Such incompetence by Cross Roads is just another example of why some products made in the USA are junk. I have another Post on quality of my trailer.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:14 PM   #16
Seasonal Camper

I had my Furrion camera ready camper done in 10 minutes. It all worked as it was supposed to and one would expect.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:59 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Quote:
I want to thank everyone on this Forum who helped explain Cross Roads' incompetence in failing to connect the backup camera wiring to the Clearance Light wiring harness.
Glad you got it figured out. Took me a while too.