Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I got a three fold result on this one. The floor material in my FW looks to be some kind of floor covering that is like wallpaper but for the floor. It has a nice wood pattern but I think this stuff will wear out like it's some kind of stick down heavy printed paper. So, Ijust put a coat of polyurathane on it.One result, is a nice finish. It was dull before. The next is, I think it will be more resistant to water. In the bathroom, I always get some water on the floor from taking a shower. Then, after the shower, when the shower door is open, water runs down the door and drips on the floor. The last result is, I hope this will cut down on the wear. Time will tell. The other floor areas will get this treatment when I feel it's proven to be a good solution.

Craig

2011 RF35RL, 2011 F350 DRW
casmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Great idea whish should last but please try to find a solution for the $?*)__//$%%??&&&& beige carpets that have to be cleaned once a month even if we remove our shoes inside the FW.
denism28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

good idea... i agree the Beige carpet is not good, especially with 2 dogs going in and out.
I am thinking of taking the carpet out and putting down linoleum.

https://i43.tinypic.com/rlz8tk.jpg

Life is too short not to live it as a Texan.
Texas1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas1949
good idea... i agree the Beige carpet is not good, especially with 2 dogs going in and out.
I am thinking of taking the carpet out and putting down linoleum.

If you do decide to switch, I recommend Tarkett Fiberflor. It is 1/8 inch thick and designed to be installed without adhesive. It will not curl, shrink or stretch. Put it in my '04 RK when it was just a yr old and it worked great. When cutting to fit inside the trailer, you can take it in and out as many times as necessary to get the right fit. When I got it right, I used a thin spacer to cut a uniform gap between the linoleum and all vertical surfaces. I then used a matching color silicone caulk to fill this gap. That was my "baseboard" trim rather than bulking quarter-round. This edge caulk and the heater vents were the only things holding the lino in place, even with the slide out.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

We got that beige carpet as well, for 4 years, with at the present 5 dogs, never less than 4. Got a 6 X 9 cushy throw rug from Kohl's with matching smaller throws. I roll up the large rug then bring in slides. Use smaller in entry to catch incoming dirt, put one in front of dinette and one in front of wash basin. Shake them out after trips, or wash. Spend over 6 weeks a year...my carpet looks great, vaccuumed it yesterday after sticking dogs in the Cruiser when we had several days of company with anti-dog lovers. The big plushy rug gives a homey feel. All those paws bring in sand and other debris, but the rugs catch it.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I think the polyurethane will work just fine. I did that in my upstairs bathroom in my house. I had vinyl flooring that I wanted to change. So I figured that I had nothing to lose by painting it and polying (is that a word?) over it. I painted it a dark color with just the wall paint from another project. Then I put several coats of poly over it. It has lasted over 5 years with no sign of wear.

3 Sons, 2 Daughters-in-Law

1 Daughter, 1 Son-in-Law

1 Grandson, 2 Grandaughters

2012 Sunset Trail 26BH
4AggiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote