Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
New Camper

Hello all,

I'll be replacing the "small" Group 27 battery that was delivered with our 2011 ST27BH. It's nowhere near the capacity we need when we camp in Provincial and State Parks of the Northeast.

I've decided to go to 2x 6V batteries in series for an increased capacity per unit volume. I'm looking at units advertised at 562A RC @ 25A. They have their box, and 2 will fit nicely on the tongue.

I've had campers/pop-ups for a long time, and know that charging the batteries correctly helps prolong their lives. The ST27BH charger has a trickle (or float) mode when needed. When I'm back home, I keep the trailer level and plugged in to keep the fridge cold. I'm thinking of adding a DPDT heavy-duty switch to disconnect the batteries from the onboard charger, and connect them to another charger (that I install myself) that supports pulse "desulfating", such as the PulseTech charger. Has anyone done this? Is it worth the trouble of installing the DPDT switch and extra wiring?

Edited by: GoneCamping

2011 F-150 SuperCrew XLT, EcoBoost

2011 Sunset Trail ST27BH
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:38 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I installed one of these Perko Marine Battery switches so that I could could easily disconnect my batteries to do just what you are talking about. I have the batteries conected to position one, and at the suggestion of another forum member (I don't remember nowwhose idea it was ) I connected the landing gear and slide to the 2nd position so I can shut them off if when I want to. (I did not buy it from this site, it's just the first picture I could find)

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock1424
I have the batteries conected to position one, and at the suggestion of another forum member (I don't remember nowwhose idea it was ) I connected the landing gear and slide to the 2nd position so I can shut them off if when I want to.
That was from me rock, I recently did the same thing to our new RF38FL.
'12 Crossroads Rushmore RF38FL (ours!)
Barry, the ADHD x 2 German Shepherd mix, Granddog.
FFFord is offline   Reply With Quote