Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

We disconnect the battery everytime we park the TT at the storage lot. We wanted to install a battery disconnect switch. Camping world told us that none of them would fit/work on our TT. We have a 2011 Zinger ZT26BL. Does anyone know of any that would work for us? Thanks

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I went to a local marine/boat sales store and picked up a small disconnect for 30.00. Works fine. Not sure why CW says one won't fit unless they were thinking of one that goes on a battery post. The one I got is mounted on a wall above the battery.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Go to Wal Mart and buy the one in their battery section. It's only a couple of bucks and works great. You mount it on the battery post and then connect your system leads to the end of it. The large screw on top is easily turned to disconnect the battery. You must have access to the top of the battery to connect/disconnect service, otherwise this is a cheap workable solution to unwanted battery drain while in storage. There are some circuits on an RV that require current even when the RV is not in use. The CO2/smoke detector is one. In a few days the battery will be drained and this is hard on the battery.Edited by: Pull Dog
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Got one from Tractor Supply ($7.95) and mounted it inside the basement on the wall opposite the battery. Had to make up a new 6 ga. wire and a small box for the switch; takes a little time but looks and works good.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I purchased one of these for less than $5 and it works perfectly. No need for additional wire, and it installs in about 3 minutes.

http://menards.com/main/tools-hardware/auto/batteries-chargers-jumpers/quick-disconnect-battery-terminal/p-1447977-c-9100.htm

It fits inside the battery enclosure. I would highly recommend it.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
TrainSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:34 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainSafe
I purchased one of these for less than $5 and it works perfectly. No need for additional wire, and it installs in about 3 minutes.

http://menards.com/main/tools-hardware/auto/batteries-chargers-jumpers/quick-disconnect-battery-terminal/p-1447977-c-9100.htm

I bought one of those, but never installed it. they say put it on the negative terminal, and I was always under the assumption you had to break the "positive" terminal. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

With DC, it really doesn't matter. As long as you fully disconnect the circuit at the battery, you will be fine cutting either side of the circuit.

Now, if we get into AC then that is a whole different discussion since the North American power grid uses the earth as a return path to the power generation plants.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
Old 05-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=BATTERY+DISCONNECT+SWITCH&rls=com.mi crosoft:en-us:IE-Address&oe=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4484256609843944985&sa= X&ei=WwW9T_3NGsKe6AG99bVi&ved=0CNgBEPICM AI#

this is what I used - mounted it right to the cross support on the front of the camper just behind the LP tanks & battery box - works great - I also put a key ring on it to put with the rest of the camper keys when the camper is not being used
11 Ram 2500 - Green Machine - retired
16 Chevy 2500 - Bone Crusher - the dark side
08 CR Zinger 30BH - Zing 1
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:49 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
With DC, it really doesn't matter. As long as you fully disconnect the circuit at the battery, you will be fine cutting either side of the circuit.

That will work provided you never have the misfortune of something establishing a ground some place in the grounding system.
Is that right, or am I looking it it wrong?
I just can't get in thru my head but what you wouldn't be safer breaking the positive line.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:56 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

If I understand you right, you are correct. The circuit needs to be completed back to it's source. Not just any ground will do. With our travel trailers that means that you'd need to complete the circuit back to the other post of the battery.

You could have a solid conductor running to the earth and it wouldn't matter. The little electrons that came out of the battery aren't interested in returning to the earth, they only want to go back to their battery. This is the same reason that you can stand barefoot in the wet grass and change the cables on your battery without getting shocked. Touching a positive lead to the earth doesn't complete the circuit. Just don't make the mistake of dropping a tool between the two posts!

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
Old 05-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Just to clarify again so that I don't have anybody misinterpret and end up getting shocked - this applies to DC cirucuits in our travel trailers. The AC systems use the earth as the 'return conductor' to the power generation plants. That means that if you take my example of standing barefoot in the wet grass and apply it to AC power derived from the utility grid, you will get shocked, injured or killed. With these circuits you always want to disconnect the 'hot' side of the circuit.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
Old 05-23-2012, 04:47 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Old Framer that is exactly what I have, works great takes about 2 seconds to cut the power. Prior to that I just had a wing nut on the neg post at storage time I would just un-screw the wing nut and pull the (Negative) lead off the post, took about 30 seconds. a lot less sparking when you pull the neg lead off. Worked great for years.

Flyone
Old 05-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

ok thanks for the suggestions. I will pass them on to DH

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

Old 05-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

[/QUOTE]I bought one of those, but never installed it. they say put it on the negative terminal, and I was always under the assumption you had to break the "positive" terminal. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
[/QUOTE]

The reason for disconnecting the negative first is to prevent a potential short circuit. If your wrench touches ground while disconnecting the positive, you'll get a nice spark display. In your case it probably doesn't matter since your battery is likely not near any exposed metal. In either case you're creating an open circuit so no battery drain will occur.
joemusic321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Vader, Your Moeller disconnect switch looks like a good approach. It appears that it could be mounted on the panel between the basement and the front compartment where battery is. The key side would be near the left side basement access doorwhichis alsonear allwater and dump controls.

The terminal side would be in front compartment adjacent to battery. Probably need some new cables to reach disconnect switch terminals and some sort of non-conductive shield or box to cover the terminals. Is this similar to the way your disconnect switch is mounted?
Retired02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired02
Vader, Your Moeller disconnect switch looks like a good approach. It appears that it could be mounted on the panel between the basement and the front compartment where battery is. The key side would be near the left side basement access doorwhichis alsonear allwater and dump controls.

I agree. I think when I get around to putting one in, it will probably be the Moeller.

As far as breaking the connection on the neg. so as not to create sparks--if you have anything drawing off the batteries, it can spark whether you are connecting or disconnecting even on the neg side.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Vader,
Is there more information, I mean detailed, on exactly how this gets installed. It looks like a good approach but I would like to have all my bases covered as far as details before I purchase this.

thanks,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

This is what I use for a battery switch. It mounts anywhere in the battery compartment. I have it connected to the positive cable.

2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

yes - I would have to get pics to show you - I mounted it flush to the front of the T cross member just behind the battery box on my TT - I can take pics this weekend - I'm going out this weekend so I can get pics then but the switch housing is probubly 1" thick after the base where the wire connectors go that you can't see because it's in the frame - the key hole & base sticks out about 1-2 inches but if the red key is not in it you wouldn't even know it was there.
11 Ram 2500 - Green Machine - retired
16 Chevy 2500 - Bone Crusher - the dark side
08 CR Zinger 30BH - Zing 1
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:

DH bought this one (or something very similar) at walmart today. Thanks

2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS