Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2010, 05:27 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I intend to replace the stock el cheapo queen-sized mattress with an orthopedic bed and box spring when I buy a Cruiser. Will removing the pedestal and replacing it plus the stock lightweight mattress with a heavy real mattress and box spring create problems in operating the bed room slide? Will it affect the warranty?
Tom Holsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:34 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

All of the working parts of the bedroom slide are located under the bed. There is not much you can do under there.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Hunter, do you mean that the platform can't be touched? I thought the plywood platfrom for the bed sits on top of the slide, not that it IS the slide. My concern was more that a real bed with box spring and heavy mattress would be too heavy for the slide.

I'll check one at my dealer this weekend. Ifyouare right and I can't have a real bed in aCruiser, I'll have to get a Montana instead.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

As Hunter said, the slide motor, bars etc are build under the bed inside the mattress supporting frame. It would be difficult to add a box spring without raising the bed to a abnormal height off the floor.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

So much for getting a Cruiser.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

If you get a new Patriot model they have a flush bedroom floor,No longer have the platfoam with all the working under th bed.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

The trailer that we had prior to purchasing our Cruiser Provincial/Patriot had a so called queen bed that I couldn't sleep more than 2 nights on. The mattress that Cross Roads supplies as a pillow top queen is a pleasant suprise. I have a messed up back and have spent a ton of money on our mattress at home andI have no issues sleeping in the new Cruiser.

CF33LF PROVINCIAL EDITION
SWAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

A 2 inch memory foam mattress on top of the existing mattress works for us.
**Mason-Dixon Bunch**
CruiserJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:39 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

We put in a really nice pillow top mattress on top of the platform and it works really great. Most box spring foundations these days area nothing more than a flat board any way.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

We replaced the king mattress with a more comfortable model. Don't notice that there is no box spring. Tight fit getting it inside though....

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:56 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I'm in the process of pulling the RV King out and putting in a memory foam queen. Ours is a 2011 Seville VC35CK so it may be a bit different than the Cruiser. I have pictures that I can post if anyone is interested as I'm just starting to disassemble and mod the platform, base, etc.

The Lippert slide on the Seville is different than anything I've seen before. It has gearing top and bottom on both sides instead of the screw/gear underneath as is on the other slides. Given that the bed rides on the platform and pedestal I don't know how much weight the bed will add. There will be some additional weight with the heavier mattress.

Lenny is correct that the fit is tight, getting the RV King out was interesting. I'm not sure how much additional height you can safely add with a box springs and mattress. We're using the springs from Ikea and a Ikea memory foam mattress on top of the modified platform. At some point, I'll build a torsion box the same thickness as the current platform and replace it, then mount the springs on top. Spring height is about 2" so overall it won't make much difference in our case.

Hope this helps.

Al

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

I screwed up. But I was really hurting then too, having just been rear-ended for the fourth time. Arthrotec was my friend all weekend, and I was concerned that I might be laid up again for a while. It got better by Monday so I went to a mattress store.

The salesman told me that box springs do not make mattresses more comfortable. Their chief function is to significantly reduce wear on mattresses, and thereby extend the useful life of mattresses, when you get into or out of bed because that is when the most concentrated weight is placed on spots on a mattress, and it needsto be able to spring down alittle.

Otherwise an ordinary strong box without springs, i.e, those used as RV bed platforms, would do as well in elevating a mattress and giving it a firm foundation.

<BR style="FONT-FAMILY: verdana,helvetica,sans-serif">So I don't have to worry about my back in an RV bed any more than I do at home. I only need to get a queen-size mattress comparable to the king-size one I use at home.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Thanks. I plan on getting a CF32CK Patriot unless a Patriot version of the CF31RK comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campsurveyor
If you get a new Patriot model they have a flush bedroom floor,No longer have the platfoam with all the working under th bed.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Wow Tom you got some bad luck.I (we) love our stock bed in the TT.One thought would be to put in a Select Comfort air bed, ours in the house weighs about nuthin'.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote